  • +Jacob Anish Varghese
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 15, 2011
      Hell everyone,

      It is indeed heartening to see that the children of the great tradition of St. Thomas are finally recognizing the great spiritual and ecclesiastical heritage they have been entrusted with. For generations now, we have been riddled with this question, whether our Spiritual Father was a doubter or a rational intellectual who had the liberty to touch the

      Sent from my iPhone

      On 14-Dec-2011, at 5:20, "george" <frgeorget@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > Although our glimpses of St. Thomas are brief, his character comes through with consistency. He struggled to be faithful to what he knew, despite what he felt. At one point, when it was plain to everyone that Jesus' life was in danger, only St. Thomas put into words what most were feeling, "Let us also go, that we may die with Him" (John11:16). And it is true that he did not hesitate to follow Jesus. This bold and inspiring statement from the unwavering mind of St. Thomas is an unwitting prophecy of his own future martyrdom. It was indeed a great revolutionary one. He was inspiring and exhorting his fellow disciples to be willing to pay off the cost of discipleship as envisaged by Christ our Lord. (Luke 14: 25-33). His later life story proves beyond doubt that it was not merely his figurative platitude, but, in fact, he lived on those words courageously; which teaches us of a fact that "A true Christian discipleship goes to the extent of martyrdom". In simple terms, he walked on what he talked proving his identity and integrity. It also illustrates the path that all believers must take –that we die daily to the world for the sake of following Christ. (Luke 9:23-26).
      > "I am the way, the truth, and the life". This perpetual word of promise from our Lord Jesus Christ was first revealed to St.Thomas. It is clear from the Bible that Christ, our Lord, had chosen 12 persons to be with Him, to be sent out for undertaking his mission of preaching, healing and exorcising (Mark 3:13) and further, in Mat 28:28, we see Christ sending the twelve out as part of His last commissioning. All of them were given equal authority on earth and in heaven, to bind and to unbind, to absolve the sin and to retain the sin. (Ref. St.John 28:18, St.Mat 20:23). The word `Apostle' is a derivative of the Greek term `Apostolos' which means "one who is sent for a specific purpose for and on behalf of with the same authority as that of the sender". It was obvious that they were sent out with authority as Jesus himself was sent to this world with authority by his Father in heaven. Thus, we can be sure that St. Thomas too had the very same authority, privilege and right as that of every other apostle. There is no room for any sort of argument on the superiority or the inferiority attributed to any apostle such as the hierarchical supremacy of St. Peter on administrative matters and the intellectual supremacy of St. Paul on theological issues. To some, he may seem to be the last among the apostles, but it is a fact that he was not the least. To me, he is a coal turned into a diamond coruscating in the firmament of Christian history.
      > With every reverence, may I salute this great man of God who happens to be the founder and patron saint of Indian Orthodox Church! O Mother India, You are blessed for you carry on your soil the indelible foot prints of his holy man!

    • alice mathai
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 16, 2011
        Dear Jose
        It is a privilege to know Our Lord Jesus. the source is important not the means. let only and only Jesus Christ intercede for us because Him dwells the Godhead.
        please go Turku Hebrews 7 for a better understanding.

        A22 By so much was Jesus made a surety of a better testament.
        23 And they truly were many priests, because they were not suffered to continue by reason of death:
        24 But this [man], because he continueth ever, hath an unchangeable priesthood.
        25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.lice

      • ES John
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 16, 2011
          Dear Alice Mathai,

          Kindly read the following article, "Do we need a priest?, that is reposted after shortening it, for your better understanding.
          E.S.John, Australia

          we need a priest?

          Jesus cried out on the cross: “It is finished". Does it mean that the role
          of the priesthood also come to a stop by the redemption of Jesus’ blood, as
          claimed by some Protestant churches? I received certain questions on this topic
          for my comments from an Internet writer. Being forced to give you the questions
          and answers in shortened length, I give only a gist of my answers. His
          questions have biblical references to: (1 pet 2:9); 1. Cor. 4:1: Mat. 27:51; Heb.
          4:14-16; 1. Tim. 2:5; Heb. 7:23–28).

           It is finished. Yes, the redemptive
          process of earning salvation by blood sacrifice is finished by the Calvary
          crucifixion, but that dawned the age of the Holy Spirit to continue the same in
          the NT period. It doesn't mean that the priesthood is abolished because the earning
          of salvation is a continuous process that goes till we come to the Last
          Judgement. Therefore, He abolished the first in order to establish the second
          covenant, Heb.10: 9. 1.Pet.2: 9, has a connecting reference to Exo.19: 6 and
          Rev.5: 10, where it says that Israelites `is a kingdom of priests and a holy
          nation'. He formed the church as the "kingdom and priests to our God, and
          they shall reign on earth", Rev.5: 10, certainly pertains to the church (holy
          nation, and its royal hierarchical priesthood’. Though it was a kingdom of
          priests, only the Levites were chosen as their priests, not from any other
          tribes in OT period; similarly only the anointed one of the church from any
          tribe or place in the world is allowed to be the priests in the second
          covenant. Therefore, a way for everyone is opened to serve as a priest in the church,
          1.Cor.4: 1. Mt.27: 51 signifies that the wall of separation between the Father
          and His children is torn apart by the sacrifice of Jesus who opened the way to
          the Father, Jn.14: 6.
           The confluence of the Melchizedekan and
          Aaronite priesthood was established `to fulfill all righteousness’, Mt.3: 15,
          at river Jordan .
          This `all righteousness' pertains to the eternal Melchizedekan and Aaronite
          union of priesthood. This was the reason for Jesus to receive the baptism from
          the Levite John the Baptist at the age of 30, just before commencing His public
          ministry. Jesus started His public ministry only after this recognition (High
          priestly consecration, Heb.7: 23-28,) from above at the age of 30, just before
          He was led to be tempted by the Devil in the wilderness, Mt.4: 1.

          Treating this High-priestly consecration as an ordinary baptism, the
          Pentecostals don't accept the sacrament of infant baptism, thinking that the
          Pentecostal baptism in the creek at the age of 30, not at river Jordan, make a
          person of the high priestly order. Even Jesus the High priest received His
          baptism by a Levite priest. If Jesus had to receive the Aaronite priesthood
          before His ministry in this world, there is no meaning in the charismatic
          groups' shunning of the NT priesthood order, the essential ingredient for one’s
          salvation. Jesus passed on this priesthood to His apostles who transmitted the
          same to the next successive anointing through the centuries. The NT sacrifice
          is a bloodless sacrifice, the prologue of which was done by Melchizedek
          offering bread and wine to Abraham, Gen.14: 18; thereby the Father of faith
          promising to give the tithes to Melchizedek. This bloodless sacrifice was
          offered by the High Priest Melchizedek Himself, celebrated with bread and wine
          in St.mark's mansion during His Last Supper with His apostles, just before
          spilling His blood at Golgotha .
          Key to the kingdom of Heaven
          We need a priest because the
          priestly authority which forgives the sin of the repenting believers is the key
          to Heaven. This authority was first promised, not given, to His apostle Peter,
          Mt.16: 19 (I will give you…), then repeated this promise to all His 12
          apostles, Mt.18: 18. A resurrected Christ gave it really to all His apostles by
          breathing on them, Jn.20: 21-23, 27; and by blessing by His hands, Lk.24:
          50-51, Mt.28: 18-20. The bestowing of this priestly authority was culminated on
          the day of Pentecost. The tongue by which the confessor forgives our sins is
          the key to Heaven.
          There was a mediator between man and God in OT period, Heb. 5. Jesus is the
          only mediator between God and man, between the OT and NT. There is a spiritual
          hierarchy in Heaven, so also on earth. Then who is the mediator between Jesus
          and man? Because the Son of man finished His work on earth and given the
          overseering charge to the Holy Spirit who broods over the church from the day
          of Pentecost, the priest is the one who is in between man and Jesus interceding
          through the Holy Spirit. If Jesus the Word Incarnate is the mediator between
          man and God, the mediator between the Holy Spirit and man is the anointed man,
          clerics like Aaron or the church hierarchy, the reason for the apostles to
          elect Deacons, priests and bishops to administer the sacraments to the people.
          Just as there was anointing in the OT, the Aaronite anointing continued from
          Moses and Aaron, the Levites, through the High priest Zechariah, the father of
          John the Baptist who passed it on to Jesus by baptizing Him at Jordan, and the
          Lamb gave it to His apostles and continuing till today by the successive
          generations of clerics by laying of hands and anointing with oil. These clerics
          are the empowered or authorized ones to work on behalf of the church to mediate
          between the Son of man and lay believers. The sacrifice served by the clerics
          is accepted by the Saviour for transmitting it to the Father. This acceptance
          is notified to the Holy Spirit by the Father that He has reconciled to the
          sinful humanity, Lk.11: 13. The prayer or the liturgy offered by the clerics go
          through the prayer of the incense of the saints, with golden bowls full of
          incense of the saints, 24 elders and living creatures, Rev.5: 8., before it
          reaches to the throne of the Lamb. Thus the cycle is completed just like a
          prick of the skin by a pin is communicated to the brain which gives consent for
          the hand to give protection to that part or the body.

          Thus Jesus is the High priest who sits at the right hand of God to accept our
          supplications that are offered by His anointed representative for passing it on
          to the Father Almighty.E.S.John

        • RinuSam
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 17, 2011
            Dear All
            St.Thomas came to know the resurrected Jesus Christ personally touching his wounds and not the son of Man Jesus Christ before resurrection!Here the context is very important!Apostle Thomas touched the resurrected body of Christ and he became a strong witness/disciple of Christ and preached Christ/gospel in the far east!
            the means of understanding Jesus Christ varies from man to man!This is a universal truth!
            Best regards
            Rinu Sam
          • ES John
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 20, 2011
              Dear Rinu sam,

              I don't have a clue the context in what sense you wrote this. He touched and realized who the son of Man was. This is the only case it was proved that jesus was the son of Man or son of God. We adore St.thomas because he got this opportunity to testify the world the foundation of the theology 'My Lord and God'.

            • RinuSam
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 21, 2011
                Dear John Sir
                please refer to the death and resurrection of Lazarus of Bethany,whereby Jesus told to Martha(sister of Lazarus)"I AM THE RESURRECTION and LIFE"(John 11:25-26)"Who ever believes in me though he die,yet shall he live"!and after Jesus told Mary(sister of Martha)If she believes in Christ,she would see the glory of God!This is exactly happened with St.Thomas he wanted see Jesus and experience the Glory of God!This happened to St.Thomas when he touched wounded body of Christ, and he confessed"MY LORD AND MY GOD"The real experience of Life and Resurrection!
                With regards
                Rinu Sam