Apostle James

  • Sindhu george
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 25, 2011
      Dear MOSC members,
      In the New Testament of the Bible, there were several men named James. I�m going to tell you about James who was the half-brother of Jesus. He deserves recognition, not for being Jesus� brother, but for the work he did for the church and for a letter he wrote to Jewish Christians. In the Bible, we call this letter the Book of James. In it James emphasizes the importance of putting faith into practice rather than merely believing it.

      Matthew 13:55 speaks of a James who was Jesus� brother. Jesus was teaching in His hometown. The people were astonished, saying, �Isn�t this man the son of the carpenter. His mother�s name is Mary. His brothers are James, Joseph, Simon and Judas. Aren�t all his sisters with us?� James was probably the oldest of the four brothers since his name is mentioned first. Jesus brothers and sisters would have been born naturally to Joseph and Mary after the virgin birth of Jesus.

      Unfortunately, as Jesus said in Matthew 13:57, greatness is not recognized in a man�s hometown or in his own family. We may wonder how anyone could miss having a brother who happened to be the Messiah but aren�t we all apt to overlook the good character traits of a sibling. It is thought that James did not become a believer in Jesus as King of kings until late in Jesus� ministry or possibly after the resurrection. John 7:5 shows that James misunderstood Jesus� mission.

      After the resurrection, Jesus made a special appearance to James before appearing to all of the apostles. This may have been the time of James� belief.
      (1Corinthians15:7)

      James went on to become an important member of the early church. He is mentioned as playing an active role in the Jerusalem council discussed in Acts 15.

      The apostle Paul met with James on his first visit to Jerusalem following his (Paul�s) conversion. Galatians 1:19 says that he saw only James the Lord�s brother. Paul considered James a pillar of the church. During his last recorded visit to Jerusalem, Paul went to see James �and all the elders were present.� (Acts 21:18, Galatians 2:9)

      After James� conversion, he steadfastly stood by his belief in Jesus as the Messiah. Sometime in AD 62, James was accused of having transgressed the law by Ananus, who followed the Sadducees teaching. He was found guilty and condemned to death by stoning.

      For those who are interested in names and their meanings:
      The name James is derived from the same Hebrew name as Jacob. It means "holds the heel" or "supplanter.� Supplanter means �one who displaces� or �takes the place of.� You may remember Jacob, an Old Testament man whose story is in Genesis 23. He �supplanted� or �displaced� his brother, Esau, and took his birthright.
    • George Neagoe
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 30, 2011
        *
        Hello,

        Perhaps I don't quite understand it right but how I understand it, you said
        that Joseph and Mary had children after the birth of Jesus, and i quote
        "Jesus brothers and sisters would have been born naturally to Joseph and
        Mary after the virgin birth of Jesus.". *
        *I believe this isn't true because* in the first place, by brothers and
        sisters it means relatives not necessary brother or sister in the jewish
        tradition(like St.Teofilact says), and we know that Joseph was a widower
        when he got engaged with Mary.
        For example i can give you Judas who was by tradition "the son of Joseph and
        Salomeea, not the Salomeea from Bethleem, but the daughter of Agheos son of
        Varahios the brother of Zacharias. The brothers of Judah are the ones
        mentioned in The Gospel: James, Joseph and Simon." (Life of Saint Judas, the
        relative of the Lord). You can find proofs in the writings of the Holy
        Fathers like St.Teofilact of Ohrid(Bulgaria), The Gospel of Matheew.

        And I know by tradition that Mary is *forever a virgin*, like our orthodox
        church says:
        http://malankaraorthodoxchurch.in/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=117&Itemid=149
        <http://malankaraorthodoxchurch.in/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=117&Itemid=149>
        ("The Orthodox Church holds it as part of its faith article that St.Mary
        continued to be a virgin all her life, addressing her as the Virgin Mary or
        the Virgin Mother.")

        If you understand Romanian or with google translate you can find the
        information here:
        http://www.crestinortodox.ro/calendar-ortodox/sf-apostol-iuda-ruda-domnului-cuv-paisie-mare-36181.html

        I apologise if it was a wrong remark.

        Have a nice day,
        George N.

      • alice john
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 30, 2011
          Dear Sindhu,
          "Jesus brothers and sisters would have been born naturally to Joseph and Mary after the virgin birth of Jesus."
          It is a blaspheme that you dared to state the above statement without any contrition of heart. How can a weakling earhling dwell in the womb that carried the Son of God? "This gate shall remain shut; it shall not be opened, and no one shall enter by it, for the Lord God of Israel, has entered by it; therefore it shall remain shut", Eze.44: 2. The correct translation of the verse mt.1: 25 is like this: 'Joseph took his wife, but knew her not until she had borne a son; and he called his name Jesus". Though the phrase 'knew her not' in the OT usage mean to have sexual union, here it means that Joseph didn't know her fully well until she gave birth a son by divine will. The double -sided meaning of 'knew her not' is used here is to confuse the unbelievers who claim to be the children of God and received their salvation already. In one bible it is given as 'he didn't have sexual union with her. What a pity! Man doesn't live by sex alone but by the word of God.
          The use of brothers is wrong; it used to be translated as 'brethren' meaning cousin, not siblings. Some say that the cousins were the children of Joseph's first marriage. Some others are of the opinion that they were Cleopa's children.

          It is irreligious to tarnish the Mother of God as a commonor who led an ordinary life like us. Then evangelist st.John also should be a son of Mary because Jesus said to her that 'This is your son' by pointing at St.John who was standing at he foot of Golgotha. know that bible is a compendium of Heavenly mysteries, not written by research work, but by the revelation of the spirit of God.

          E.S.John, australia