Re: Our devout Bishops

  • john_jacob_email
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 23, 2010
      I wish to second Rinu Sam's view that naming our bishops like this on the matter of prayer was not in good taste. Moreover, one's relationship with Almighty is such an intimate matter that one is not in any position whatsoever to pass comments regarding others. In fact, I am of the view that one does not even need to be in a formal prayerful position to be in communication with the Creator....even reflecting on the Word of God as we go about our daily chores is nothing, but prayer....regardless of whether or not the world accepts it as such.

      On the other hand, formally fasting and meditating for long durations during which time one's thoughts are primarily on worldly matters (and food) does not amount to much in my view. Quality and sincerity / truthfulness during contact with the Creator is of much value, as compared to mere quantity and acceptability before this society. Prayer need not be formal nor should it be a formality; it can be informal, and is definitely very personal!

      Anyway, given below is a small portion from the Holy Bible that is worthy of reading at this juncture.

      Luke 18: 9 - 14
      9. To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everybody else, Jesus told this parable:
      10. "Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector.
      11. The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men - robbers, evildoers, adulterers - or even like this tax collector.
      12. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get'.
      13. But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.'
      14. I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

      The point in the above portion from the Holy Bible is - there can be no substitute for Humility before the Almighty; not for the clergy, nor the laity alike!

      Yours in Christ!

      John Jacob
      Delhi / Pune