Macarius the Great

  • Mark Sedrak
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 11, 2009
      When He walked this earth, He gave help and health to those who approached and asked for such favors.

      Macarius the Great

      http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=3018538
    • The Orthodox Bookstore
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 26, 2009
        Let us have nothing to do with wicked and vain talk and in all things let us with all our might cling to Him. He certainly is ready to give us His Help.

        Macarius the Great, The Fifty Spiritual Homilies
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 20, 2010
          If anyone loves Jesus and really gives himself attentively, not superficially, to Him: if he perseveres in love, God is already planning to reward that soul for that love.

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 25, 2010
            This is the mark of
            Christianity--however much a man toils, and however many righteousnesses he
            performs, to feel that he has done nothing, and in fasting to say, "This
            is not fasting," and in praying, "This is not prayer," and in
            perseverance at prayer, "I have shown no perseverance; I am only just
            beginning to practice and to take pains"; and even if he is righteous
            before God, he should say, "I am not righteous, not I; I do not take
            pains, but only make a beginning every day."

            Macarius the Great
            Pseudo-Macarius: The Fifty Spiritual Homilies and the Great Letter

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 9, 2011
              O God, cleanse me a sinner, for I have done nothing good before Thee. Deliver me
              from the evil one, and may Thy will be in me, that I might open my unworthy lips
              without condemnation and praise Thy holy name, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, now
              and ever and unto ages of ages. Amen.

              Macarius the Great
              1st Morning Prayer, Orthodox Daily Prayers

              http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/10130169/orthodox-daily-prayers
            • Mark Sedrak
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 12, 2012
                The person, who has found the Lord, the true treasure, by seeking the Spirit, by
                faith and great patience, brings forth the fruits of the Spirit, as I said
                earlier. All righteousness and the commands of the Lord which the Spirit orders
                he does by himself, purely, and perfectly, and without blame.

                Macarius the Great, The Fifty Spiritual Homilies and the Great Letter
                http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/3018538/pseudo-macarius-the-fifty-spiritual

              • Mark Sedrak
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 24, 2012
                  A brother once met abbot Macarius the Egyptian, and said to him, ' Abba, say
                  something to me that I may be saved.' The old man said, 'Go to the
                  burying-ground and revile the dead.' The brother went, and reviled them, and
                  threw stones at the
                  m, and came and reported to the old man. He said to him, ' Did they not answer
                  thee? ‘He said, 'No.' The old man said, 'Go again tomorrow and praise them.' So
                  the brother went, and praised them, calling them apostles, and saints, and
                  righteous men, and came to the old man, and said, ' I praised them.' And he said
                  to him, ' Did they answer? ' The brother said, No.' The old man said, 'For as
                  much as you insulted them, they answered nothing, and for as much as you praised
                  them, and they said nothing to you. If you want to be saved, become dead like
                  them. Think nothing of the wrongs done by men, nor of their praise, any more
                  than the dead do and you may be saved.'

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 13, 2012
                    Macarius the Great
                    From: St. Macarius the Spiritbearer
                    http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/2265761/macarius-the-spiritbearer-of-egypt

                  • Mark Sedrak
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 17, 2013
                      Abba Macarius was met on the road by the devil, who struck him repeated with a scythe, to no avail. The devil finally exclaimed, “What is your power, Macarius, that makes me powerless against you? all that you do, I do too. You fast, so do I; you keep vigil, and I do not sleep at all. In one thing only do you beat me.” When Abba Macarius asked what that could be, the devil replied, “Your humility. Because of that I can do nothing against you.”

                      Macarius the Great, Macarius the Spiritbearer

                      http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/2265761/macarius-the-spiritbearer-of-egypt

                    • Mark Sedrak
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 26, 2013
                        Do not judge others, for this alone will intercede for us during the judgement before God.

                        Macarius the Great, Living Without Hypocrisy