Including Others

  • frjohnbrian
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 26, 2009
      Including Others
      "Comfort one another and edify one another" 1 Thessalonians

      We are in this work of salvation together. We cannot do it alone. This
      sermon focuses on the beginning of 1 Thessalonians chapter 5 and the
      beginning of Luke chapter 11 to bring us understanding about our work while still on earth. "God's will for you, for us, always involves others, always includes others, serving them helping them, comforting, edifying."

      The sermon uses the scripture readings from the Malankara lectionary.

      This sermon given on Sunday, August 23, 2009 by Fr John Brian Paprock at Holy Transfiguration Orthodox Mission Chapel, Madison, Wisconsin.

      LISTEN ONLINE HERE:
      http://frjohbrian.blogspot.com/2009/08/including-others.html

      Last Week:
      Powerful Femininity
      Mary, the Ever-Virgin Mother of God, Theotokos - Holy Assumption or
      Dormition is the day of remembrance of St. Mary's death. In this sermon, the gifts of femininity are discussed along with the story and festival of St Mary. Our Orthodox Christian view of St Mary sets us apart from other Christians but not from the humanity and divinity afforded us. The sermon uses the scripture readings from the Malankara lectionary. This sermon given on Sunday, August 16, 2009 LISTEN ONLINE HERE:
      http://frjohbrian.blogspot.com/2009/08/powerful-femininity.html

      Previously:
      Fruit of Transfiguration
      Holy Transfiguration is a call to holiness. In this sermon, the gifts of transfiguration are discussion. Pope Shenouda, the current Coptic Patriarch, wrote of the different kinds of transfigurations in our human life. These are discussed in the context of our mission and purpose as Orthodox Christians, in anticipation of the annual blessing of fruit. The sermon uses the scripture readings from the Malankara lectionary. This sermon given on Sunday, August 9, 2009 LISTEN ONLINE HERE:
      http://frjohbrian.blogspot.com/2009/08/fruit-of-transfiguration.html

      Humility is Not Criminal Thinking
      On International Forgiveness Day, which is the first Sunday in August
      annually since 1996, Fr John Brian entered into a discussion of how some Christians can develop a serious problem in their spiritual life. He used the modern therapeutic term, "criminal thinking" to explain the spiritual teachings in this Sunday's scripture lessons. "Whoever exalts himself will be humbled..." Luke 14:11 "The soul of the diligent shall be enriched" Proverbs 13:4 This homiletic sermon with scripture commentary walks through Proverb 13:1-7; Isaiah 24:1-5; I Corinthians 6:1-11; Luke 14:7-11 and the beginning of Psalm 22. The sermon uses the readings from the Malankara lectionary. This sermon given on Sunday, August 2, 2009 LISTEN ONLINE HERE:
      http://frjohbrian.blogspot.com/2009/08/humility-is-not-criminal-thinking.html

      Living Bread and Priest at the Altar
      In memory of Reverend Father James Pike, priest, who passed to the next life July 23, 2009 "[The priest] is one who can humble himself and have compassion on those who are ignorant and go astray; for he himself also is subject to weaknesses."
      (Hebrews 5:2)....and an exemplar of this high standard was Fr James. Eternal memory! This homiletic sermon is two lessons with scripture commentary: 1. Bread of Life as the living fruit of the Tree of Life on this side of the Garden. Gospel of John 6:47-59 - 2. Priest as bridge and intercessor at the altar, inwardly and outwardly. Epistle to the Hebrews 4:14-5:5 This sermon has a special memorial tribute to Father James Pike, a priest of the Mission Society of St Gregorios of India who died July 23, 2009 in Spokane, Washington. The sermon uses the readings from the Malankara lectionary. This sermon given on Sunday, July 26, 2009 LISTEN ONLINE HERE:
      http://frjohbrian.blogspot.com/2009/07/living-bread-and-priest-at-altar.html

      Top FIVE sermons with some Honorable Mentions
      http://frjohbrian.blogspot.com/2009/05/top-five-audio-sermons-of-fr-john-brian.html

      PODCAST OR DOWNLOAD all sermons: http://feeds.feedburner.com/frjohnbrian or

      For more articles and sermons, visit www.Frjohbrian.blogspot.com

      Holy Transfiguration Orthodox Mission Parish
      621 N. Sherman Avenue, Suite B3
      Madison, Wisconsin - Sundays 9:30am
      608.242.4244 ~ transfiguration@...
      www.maruroopa.blogspot.com
      o HEALING LIFE o DEEPENING FAITH
      o ENRICHING PRACTICE o REFRESHING SPIRIT

      Also on Facebook