Membership Status Of the Malankara Orthodox Church>

  • padanayakan
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 21, 2009
      I would like to forward this question for an authentic answer from anyone who read this because many of our members asked me this question but unfortunately I could not get a correct answer to this.

      The President of an Organization should be a legal member of that organization if so what is the status of our clergies when they are taking charge a Vicar and President of a parish of the Malankara Orthodox Church? Should the clergy be a member of any parish of the Church? If one is not having a valid membership of an Organization how could he act as the President of the Organization.

      According to the constitution of My Malankara Orthodox Church every adult is a member of the parish General body if he is not in the default list. If anyone is having arrears more than six months there name will be in the arrears list and they are not eligible to attend the General Body. In this case if the President is not at all paying any membership fee, monthly subscription,Catholicate day collection and Resissa, how could his position can be defined as the President of the organization? It does not mean that all clergies are not
      paying their subscription to their mother parishes as I know few of our clergies are paying everything as usual as laymen and some clergies are paying even more than others too.

      It will be highly appreciable if any one can answer to this doubt it will be highly appreciable as many of our members are having doubt about this and people are not ready to put this doubt for clarification. So it will be nice if they can get their answer according to the Constitution of the MOSC.

      Kindly not to be offended by this question but it needs a crystal clear official answer and that will be good for the clergies as well as the public.

      Please do not drag to this subject for a discussion or accusation and kindly do not answer with sentiment or logic. I need an answer that can fulfill the guide line that matches with the constitution of the Church.

      Charly V. Padanilam, Houston, TX.
    • alice john
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 22, 2009
        dear Charly,
        The Vicar or the Bishop are the legally appointed employee, hence they don't have to take any membership, just like any employee needn't to be a member of the Trade union. Hence a Vicar or a priest don't have to take the membership of th eparish they serve. Don't look everything with a legal eye that devastates
        the spiritual and ethical status of religious proclivity. As far as I
        know, an ordained priest of our church has to celebrate the Holy
        qurbana on all sundays and other Moronaya perunal days, if anyone to
        assist him at the altar, and at least a member to attend in the Divine
        mystery. If he has no such opportunities, he has to attend and
        participate and share in the clerical duties of celebrating it,
        provided the celebrant allows him to do so. But he has every right to
        attend the liturgy like any other lay member, provided the Diocesan
        bishop has not excommunicated him due to serious reasons. By virtue of
        his clerical position, he doesn't have to be a member of any parish. No
        priest is a parish member, but his other family members are, not his
        wife and children. when the children are above the voting age, they
        have to become the members of a parish.
        In
        Kerala, a lay member who gets ordained from a christian family, is a
        part of that home parish, as long as that family remain as parish
        members.
        In a nutshell, no priest by himself is  a parish member,
        but has the right to celebrate and attend the Holy Mystery in any of
        our parishes, provided he has the consent from the clerical hierarchy.
        I am not conversant with the legal implications that are enshrined in
        our church or parish constitutions.

        E.S. John, Australia
      • MathetesC@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 23, 2009
          Charly:

          It is a legal requirement that all members, including the president, be dues paying.

          No need for ifs and buts.

          CCM achen
          SBGOC, New Brunswick, NJ
        • Thomas Samuel
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 23, 2009
            Dear Mr. John
            You wrote that in Kerala, A lay member ordained from Christian Family.is a part of that home parish,as long as that family remain as parish members
            I have a question for you , In Kerala there is a priest in my home parish,who is not a vicar there. This priest is Vicar in another parish within same Diocese.However This Priest participate in General Body of home parish and he plays tricky role in selcting the Managing comittee such as Trustee/secretary of his own choice. This Priest has got sons over voting age and employed,who are still under the care of their priest father not contributing any subscription to the parish.also the priest's wife(Beskiama) is teacher they never contribute any subscription/tithe/donation to home parish.
            As per Hoodayo Canon anybody over 21 years of age and and have own income should contribute to his parish.

            Can anybody clarify this stuation

            Thomas Samuel,
            Kenya
          • alice john
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 24, 2009
              "In Kerala there is a priest in my home parish,who is not a vicar there.
              This priest is Vicar in another parish within same Diocese.However This
              Priest participate in General Body of home parish and he plays tricky
              role in selcting the Managing comittee such as Trustee/secretary of his
              own choice. This Priest has got sons over voting age and employed,who
              are still under the care of their priest father not contributing any
              subscription to the parish.also the priest's wife(Beskiama) is teacher
              they never contribute any subscription/ tithe/donation to home parish.

              As per Hoodayo Canon anybody over 21 years of age and and have own income should contribute to his parish."
              dear Mr.Thomas Samuel,
              Neither a  priest nor his wife should have any right in attending any Parish meetings because they can over influence the members by having the virtue of their status as a priest and Beskiamma. It is unethical if any priest play holy politics in any parish or church. His realm is strictly in spiritual, not in temporal matters. It is high time to take off his right as a co-signitorsignatory this day of money spirituality. As a Vicar, he is the president of the Parish M. C.in his parish, where he should be an umpire or a referee. He has no voting power, may have the right of casting vote. If he interferes with the parish politics of his home parish or anywhere, it should be brought to the notice of the Vicar and the Diocesan Bishop.
              His children over the voting age should give all subscriptions and dues and shouldn't be allowed to attend any meeting.
              The unrighteous judge, referred to in Lk.18: 1-8,  seemingly is the clergy that neither fear God nor regard man. The widow is the church because her Groom is far, far away in the remotest place of the galaxy, and her pleas are ignored by the clergy.

              ES John, Australia
            • john_aliceau
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 25, 2009
                "His children over the voting age should give all subscriptions and dues and shouldn't be allowed to attend any meeting."
                Dear members,
                Sorry for the error. The Vicar's children over the age of 21 should be allowed to attend the Parish meetings after meeting all the pre-requisiutes that are enshrined in the constitution or the parish precedences.

                ES John, Australia