Augustine

  • Mark Sedrak
    Message 1 of 9 , May 25 11:19 PM
      Christ is Risen! + Truly He is Risen!

      The crucifixion is something that must continue throughout our life, not for forty days only, although Moses, Elijah, and Christ fasted for forty days. We are meant to learn from them not to cling to this present world or imitate its ways, but to nail our unregenerate selves to the cross.

      Augustine, Sermon 205

    • Mark Sedrak
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 15, 2009
        What does love look like? It has the hands to help others. It has the feet to hasten to the poor and needy. It has eyes to see misery and want. It has the ears to hear the sighs and sorrows of men. That is what love looks like.

        Augustine

      • Mark Sedrak
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 9, 2009
          He who died by his own freewill did not utter a word of
          threat. So how can you be angry or threaten? You who
          does not even know when you shall die?

          Augustine

        • Mark Sedrak
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 8, 2009
            You are my God, and most of all, am I, a creature, longing
            to be created anew? You are my God, You are my creator. You created me through
            Your Word, and recreated me through Your Word. You created me through the Word
            abiding in yourself, and you recreated me through the Word who was made flesh
            for us.

            Augustine, Exposition on Psalm 142
            http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=3965737
            http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=3968677
          • Mark Sedrak
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 20, 2010
              I call upon You, O God, my mercy; You who created me and did not forget me when
              I forgot you. Let me know you, for you are the God who knows me; You are the
              power of my soul, come into it and make it fit for yourself.

              I beg You to come into my heart, for by inspiring it to long for you, you make
              it ready to receive You.

              Now as I call upon You, do not desert me, for You came to my aid before I called
              You. When I was far from You, You persuaded me to listen to Your voice, to turn
              back to You.

              I called upon You for help, but all the time it was You who were calling me to
              Yourself. You blotted out all my sins and did not repay me with the punishments
              I deserved.

              I was nothing; You need not have given me being; before I was You were; You had
              no need of me. My service has not the value of a countryman’s who tills his
              master’s land, for if I do not serve You with my labor, Your work still bears
              fruit.

              I can only serve You and worship You with the good that comes from You. It is
              from You alone that I receive it, for but for You I should have no being.

              Augustine, Soliloquies
              Taken From: Daily Readings with St. Augustine
              http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2492378
              http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2492451