He is risen

  • Dr.George Jacob,PhD
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 12, 2009
      "Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that
      believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live," John 11:25.

      The dishonor of our Saviour's passion was left behind in the
      grave, but the tokens were still there as the evidence of His
      resurrection. If they had stolen Him away, they would have taken
      everything with them. All the evidence of Him having been in the
      grave was left behind.

      The chief priests, scribes and elders told a lie and gave the
      soldiers money to lie that the disciples had stolen Him away,
      but the evidence of His resurrection remained in the tomb.

      We read in Matthew 28: 6 to 8: "He is not here: for he is risen,
      as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay. And go quickly,
      and tell his disciples that he is risen from the dead; and, behold,
      he goeth before you into Galilee; there shall ye see him: lo, I
      have told you. And they departed quickly from the sepulchre with
      fear and great joy; and did run to bring his disciples word."

      The angel asked the women to come into the tomb, and they saw the
      napkin and grave clothes, and they stayed behind.

      Death had no more dominion over our Lord, but it was through what He
      learned by dying that He can now be touched by the feelings of our
      infirmities. We have to understand the significance of His death
      to understand the glory and blessedness of His resurrection.

      We read in Hebrews 5:8-9: "Though he were a Son, yet learned he
      obedience by the things which he suffered; And being made perfect, he
      became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him."

      It is to those who obey Him and walk in the spirit of the law, not
      to those who hunt Easter eggs or who accept Jesus. It is to those
      who love God above all and their neighbors as themselves. On these
      two commands hang all the law and the prophets. Loving God above
      all is godliness. Loving our neighbors as ourselves is righteousness.

      There is a work of regeneration. There is that work of grace, that
      new man formed in the heart that becomes our evidence that we have
      taken part in the resurrection of Christ.

      Those thirty-three years of sorrow and shame that Christ lived upon
      the earth, together with His shameful death in total submission
      to His Father's will qualified Him to be the Saviour of the
      world. Through this life of suffering, He became the author of
      our salvation. Through this He became qualified to sympathize with
      every one of our infirmities.

      As we grow in grace, we grow more and more cognizant of how we
      have that old nature that still wars within us. That ugly monster
      I always wants to stick up its head. In that continual warfare, we
      can come to the point of despair and say, How could such a wretch
      be yet saved? The Lord Jesus Christ has become so familiar with
      our infirmities, because He suffered, He was tempted in all things
      even as we are, He died, and now He can relate so well. There is
      no temptation that you and I are tempted with that He would be a
      stranger to.

      As our resurrection, we read in Hebrews 5:9: "And being made
      perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them
      that obey him."

      So, let's ask: What is heaven? What is eternal salvation? It is
      to be without sin, to be delivered from the power of sin, to be
      washed and cleansed from the power of sin. It is to be able to gain
      the victory over sin, over death and over the grave. It is to be
      made perfect.

      Serving sin is death. What is salvation but to be delivered
      from death? We see this in Romans 6:16: "Know ye not, that to
      whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are
      to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto
      righteousness?" Do you see where salvation is? It is to be delivered
      from the power of sin? It is to be delivered from self. That ugly
      monster I is no longer our king. We now come under the kingship
      and under the service of the kingdom of Christ.