Open Book before God

  • Dr.George Jacob, PhD
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 15, 2009
      Dear Ones,
      "Like as a father pitieth his children, so the LORD pitieth them
      that fear him. For he knoweth our frame; he remembereth that we
      are dust," Psalm 103:13-14.

      It is in the proportion we remember we are dust that the Lord
      reveals Christ unto us. Job 42:5 says: "I have heard of thee by
      the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee." The first
      response afterward is as we see in verse 6: "Wherefore I abhor
      myself, and repent in dust and ashes."

      We are from the dust, and unto the dust we must return. See what Job
      did? He returned to the dust and abhorred himself and repented. He
      had his eyes opened to see the Lord of life and glory. All of our
      pride, all of our arrogance, all of that which exalts the flesh
      must be brought back to the dust.

      We can see how transparent we are as the Psalmist describes the
      masterpiece of God's creation in Psalm 139. He reacted in a similar
      way as did Job, who upon seeing the Lord of life and glory, repented
      in dust and ashes.

      We read in verses 1 to 4: "O LORD, thou hast searched me, and known
      me. Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest
      my thought afar off. Thou compassest my path and my lying down,
      and art acquainted with all my ways. For there is not a word in my
      tongue, but, lo, O LORD, thou knowest it altogether."

      See how transparent we are before the Lord when He has truly breathed
      into us in that new creation that breath of life. He knows our every
      word. He knows our every thought. He knows where we lay down. He
      knows where we get up. Is the Lord too lofty to notice us? No. The
      Lord takes notice of everything we have and do in this life.

      Look at verse 14: "I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and
      wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth
      right well." This becomes the exclamation of the heart of one who
      understands that he is dust.

      We read in verses 15 and 16: "My substance was not hid from thee,
      when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts
      of the earth. Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect;
      and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance
      were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them."

      We were made in the lowest parts of the earth, or in other words,
      in the dust.

      See the prayer of Agur in Proverbs 30:7-9: "Two things have I
      required of thee; deny me them not before I die: Remove far from me
      vanity and lies: give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with
      food convenient for me: Lest I be full, and deny thee, and say,
      Who is the LORD? or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name
      of my God in vain.

      Do you see the moderation with which you and I should govern our
      lives? As we plan our repentance, as we wash our feet with the
      washing of the water of the Word, we need to see that the Lord
      wants moderation.

      O Lord, my inmost heart and thought Thy searching eye doth see;
      Where o'er I rest, where o'er I go, My ways are known to Thee.

      Each spoken word, each silent thought, Thou, Lord, dost understand;
      Before me and behind art Thou, Restraining by Thy hand. Psalm 139