What is Sin

  • Dr.George Jacob, PhD
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 9, 2008
      Dear Ones,
      For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God
      sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned
      sin in the flesh,� Romans 8:3.

      Salvation is more than being delivered from the damning power of sin; it is to
      be delivered from its reigning power and from the love of sin. The love of sin
      and its reigning power have to be slain in our hearts.

      Romans 5:20 says: Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound.
      But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound.” The apostle Paul saw
      this as we can read from ROM 7:9, "For I was alive without the law once: but
      when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died." All of a sudden sin
      became sinful. It became exceedingly sinful.

      Continuing in verse 21 Paul said: “That as sin hath reigned unto death, even
      so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ
      our Lord.” We come under a completely new kingdom. We no longer serve sin;
      we come to serve Christ.

      The law enters the conscience to open our eyes to see its condemning power.
      The apostle Paul said he was alive without the law, but when the commandment
      came, sin revived and he died. He saw the condemning power of the law, and
      that brought him to see his need of Christ. Until he saw the condemnation
      there is under the law, he never saw a need for Christ.

      It was that opening of the eyes as we see in John 15:22: “If I had not come
      and spoken unto them, they had not had sin: but now they have no cloak for
      their sin.” If the Lord Jesus had not come and spoken to them they would not
      have had sin, but now He condemned sin in the flesh. He brought condemnation
      on sin in our walk of life. It has to be slain.

      Romans 3:20 said: Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be
      justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.”

      What is sin? It is the transgression of the law. If we have no knowledge of
      the law, we have no knowledge of what sin we have committed. But when the
      commandment came, sin revived and it slew him. Why? ROM 7:13 says, "Was then
      that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might
      appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the
      commandment might become exceeding sinful."

      As we see the condemnation that there is under the law, we see how exceedingly
      sinful sin is, and how exceedingly displeasing it is to the Lord, and how the
      wrath of God is upon sin. His wrath came upon His own Son because His Son, who
      knew no sin, was made to be sin for us. Now we start to understand the
      condemnation of sin. We see how sin in our walk of life has to be executed. It
      has to be put to death.

      We see in Romans 1:18: For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against
      all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in
      unrighteousness.

      Every thought that is not in submission to that first table of the law, to
      love God above all, with our hearts, souls and minds, is ungodliness. In that
      crucifixion of Christ we see the wrath of God coming down on all ungodliness
      and against all unrighteousness, which is every transgression of the second
      table of the law, that is, to love our brothers as ourselves.

      This is what we see in the gospel, where we see the condemnation under the
      law. Now, there is no condemnation to those who are in Christ. But those who
      are in Christ find sin is condemned in the flesh.

      It is through a knowledge of sin that we gain an insight into the true meaning
      of 2 Corinthians 5:20: Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though
      God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to
      God.”

      When sin is condemned in our flesh, in our walk of life, that is the process
      of reconciliation with God, that our heart may become reconciled with God.

      Continuing in verse 21 we read: For he hath made him to be sin for us, who
      knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.If we
      are to be made the righteousness of God in the Lord Jesus Christ, then sin
      must be slain in our hearts.

      The more knowledge we receive of Gods wrath upon sin, the more we learn to
      condemn sin in the flesh. The more sensitive we are against committing sin the
      more sin grieves us.