Celebrations of the Catholicose Baselios Marthoma Dydimos I

  • Salem Voice Ministries
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2008
      (Paul Ciniraj, Malankara Church Missionary, Kottayam-686038, India)

      Kottayam (Kerala, India), SVM News, 31 Ocober 2008: His Holiness
      Baselios Mar Thoma Dydimos I, the supreme head of the Indian
      (Malankara) Orthodox Church celebrated 88th Birthday on 29th of
      October. And also celebrated his 3rd enthronement of Catholicose of
      the East and Malankara Metropolitan on 31st of October.

      He was born on 29 Ocober 1920. He enthroned Catholicos of the East &
      Malankara Metropolitan on October 31, 2005.

      His Holiness Baselios Mar Thoma Dydimos I is the seventh Catholicose
      since the Catholicate of the East was relocated to India and 90th in
      the lineage of Catholicos of the East in the Apostolic throne of St.
      Thomas. He is also the 19th Malankara Metropolitan of the Church.

      He was consecrated as Bishop by name Thomas Mar Timotheos on August
      24, 1966 and has been serving as Metropolitan of the Malabar Diocese
      of the church. The Malankara Association, which met at Parumala
      Seminary on 10 September 1992, elected him as successor- designate
      to the Malankara Metropolitan and Catholicos of the East.

      His Holiness Baselios Marthoma Dydimos I was born as the son of
      Ittyavira Thomas of Mulamootil House in Nedumbram near Thiruvalla
      and Sosamma of Chiramel House in Mavelikara. By baptism he was named
      as Thomas Ittyavira. He started his service to the Church as a monk
      when he was a teenager. He was called to the monastic life by Thoma
      Mar Dionysius Metropolitan of Niranam, who was also the founder of
      Tabore Dayara at Pathanapuram.

      The young Thomas Ittyavira joined the Tabor Dayara in 1939 where he
      completed his high school education. He passed his Intermediate from
      C.M.S College, Kottayam in 1945, his B.A from National College,
      Tiruchirapalli in 1951, his B.T from Maston Training College,
      Chennai in 1954, and his M.A from Christ Church College, Kanpur in
      1961.

      He completed his training for priesthood under the guidance of Thoma
      Mar Dionysius Metropolitan and Baselios Augen Catholicose. He
      received the order of Korooyo on 11 March 1942, full deaconship on
      22 May 1947 and priesthood on 25 January 1950 from His Holiness
      Catholicose Baselios Geevarghese II.

      He Has served as headmaster of Ponnayya High School, Thiruchirapalli
      in Tamil Nadu and St. Stephen's High School, Pathanapuram in Kerala.
      And also he served as Professor of English in St. Stephens College,
      Pathanapuram.

      His Holiness Catholicose Baselios Ougen I made him Ramban on 16 May
      1965. The Malankara Syrian Christian Association, which met on 28
      December 1965 at M.D Seminary, Kottayam, elected him to the office
      of Metropolitan. He was consecrated as Metropolitan at Kolencherry
      by the Catholicose Ougen I and became the Metropolitan of Malabar on
      11 November 1966.

      He continues to serve as the General Superior of Mount Tabor Dayara
      and Convent in Pathanapuram.