Ask in the right way

  • Dr.George Jacob,PhD
    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2008
      Beloved Ones

      “Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye
      shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto
      you,” MAT 7:7.

      Prayer is one of the most blessed places where
      the heart can go to meet the Lord. In LUK 11:1 we
      read, "And it came to pass, that, as he was
      praying in a certain place, when he ceased, one
      of his disciples said unto him, Lord, teach us to
      pray, as John also taught his disciples." This is
      what the Lord Jesus is doing in the text before
      us. He is teaching us what is contained in
      prayer; He is teaching us how to pray.

      In His Sermon On The Mount, our Saviour sets
      forth the distinction so we are able to
      "...discern between the righteous and the wicked,
      between him that serveth God and him that serveth
      him not," MAL 3:18. Jesus has given such
      heart-searching admonitions against hypocritical
      judgment as in MAT 7:1-6. These verses tell us
      not to judge and of the beam of
      self-righteousness which we have by nature in our
      own eye; then He teaches us that we are not to
      cast that which is holy before dogs. All of these
      are admonitions. Now He turns to our need to pray
      for that Spirit of Christ as we see in His
      teaching in LUK 11:9-13, Luke's counterpart to
      our text.

      The Lord Jesus does not specifically mention what
      He is teaching us to pray for, but we see that
      same instruction and admonition in LUK 11:9, "And
      I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you;
      seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be
      opened unto you." This is the same message as in
      Matthew, only by Luke. Then we see in LUK 11:13,
      "If ye then, being evil, know how to give good
      gifts unto your children: how much more shall
      your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them
      that ask him?"

      Now when we see this in the context of the whole
      Scripture, we realize the Lord Jesus is teaching
      us that we must have the Holy Spirit in order to
      rightly understand the commandments which He just
      gave us in Verses 1-6. We must have that Spirit
      of Christ. Therefore, He is teaching us, "Ask,
      and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall
      find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you,"
      MAT 7:7. We are to ask for that Spirit of Christ
      to enable us to observe the things He has just
      commanded. We need that Spirit so we come in a
      humble, childlike spirit to our fellow man when
      we come to exhort him so we do not come in a
      self-righteous, hypocritical attitude.

      We cannot expect to receive anything unless we
      ask in the Spirit of Christ, and in His name.
      Look at JOH 15:7, "If ye abide in me, and my
      words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will,
      and it shall be done unto you." That sounds like
      a very broad statement, but it is qualified. If
      ye abide in me means in the Spirit of Christ.

      How can He make such a broad statement? If you
      abide in His Spirit, you will never ask for
      anything outside the will of God. We are to ask
      for the Spirit of Christ, especially considering
      Luke's account, as the main thrust of our
      prayers. We are to ask in total submission in the
      spirit, in which Christ prayed, "...nevertheless
      not as I will, but as thou wilt," MAT 26:39b.

      We shall never receive anything we ask for in an
      "I am holier than thou," spirit, but we must ask
      in a childlike faith with a forgiving spirit. It
      is important to understand this principle. Take
      notice of V:1-6 of the chapter that is before us
      so we see it in the context in which Jesus taught
      it. He talks about judging, forgiving, the need
      of exhortation, and bringing forth the faults of
      our fellow man. How must we do this? The answer
      is prayerfully, in the Spirit of Christ, and in a
      forgiving spirit.

      MAR 11:24-26 says, "Therefore I say unto you,
      What things soever ye desire, when ye pray,
      believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have
      them." Therefore, we pray in faith, believing
      that what we are asking is within the will of
      God, and we shall have it.

      Verse 25 continues, "And when ye stand praying,
      forgive, if ye have ought against any: that your
      Father also which is in heaven may forgive you
      your trespasses. But if ye do not forgive,
      neither will your Father which is in heaven
      forgive your trespasses." One of the elements of
      the perfect prayer taught by Jesus was "And
      forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors,"
      MAT 6:12. Then we see in MAT 6:15, "But if ye
      forgive not men their trespasses, neither will
      your Father forgive your trespasses." So when the
      Lord Jesus Christ is teaching us how to pray, He
      is teaching us that we must pray with a forgiving
      spirit.

      We cannot have a judgmental spirit and expect our
      prayers to be answered. "Ask and it shall be
      given..." How? Ask with a forgiving spirit. When
      we have identified a fault in our brother, we
      have come to take out the mote in his eye. It
      must be with a forgiving spirit. It is impossible
      to come before God asking forgiveness without
      forgiving others.

      If we have ever learned to know our own hearts,
      we must realize the seeds of that same sin are
      within our hearts when we identify a sin in our
      brother. If the Lord has spared us by His grace
      so we haven't fallen into that sin, that doesn't
      mean we are not capable of it. So we must have a
      forgiving spirit; we must come to exhort him, to
      restore him, and lift him up. It is to restore
      him in the faith.

      "But if ye do not forgive, neither will your
      Father which is in heaven forgive your
      trespasses." If we do not pray in a forgiving
      spirit, we are not praying; we are mocking God.
      We are to pray in the Spirit of Christ. Wasn't
      Christ sent to give forgiveness of sin? That was
      the purpose of His coming.