linsey-woolsey

  • Prof.J.James
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 16, 2007
      We're advised not to wash our dirty linen in public. Our leaders seek to
      project a homespun image, even though they may be shrewd, dyed-in-the-wool
      politicians. Well, you may have cottoned on to the fact that today I'm
      talking about words related to fabrics.

      Clothing is one of the three basic necessities in life and it's no wonder
      that our language has many idioms based on words related to cloths.
      This week's A.Word.A.Day is woven around words related to fabrics that are
      often used metaphorically.

      linsey-woolsey (LIN-zee WOOL-zee) noun

      1. A strong, coarse fabric of wool and cotton.

      2. An incongruous mix.

      [From Middle English linsey (linen, or from Lindsey, a village in Suffolk,
      UK) + woolsey (a rhyming compound of wool).]

      It is a very lonely life that a man leads, who becomes aware of truths
      before their times. -Thomas Brackett Reed, politician