Mary Magdalene

  • Sindhu George
    Message 1 of 47 , Apr 28, 2007
      Mary Magdalene was a follower of Jesus Christ. Magdalene may have been her family name but more likely it indicates the place of her birth, as in Mary of Magdala. Magdala was a town in Galilee, on the west shore of the Lake of Tiberias.
      I often wonder why, in our time, Mary Magdalene has been spoken of as being a woman of low morals or a prostitute. I think this is an injustice, for reading about her in the Bible, I don�t see any indication of her being anything but pure.

      Scripture indicates that she, like many other Bible characters had severe emotional or mental illness or possibly even a disease such as epilepsy. Mark 8:2 mentions that Jesus had driven seven demons out of her.
      Luke 8:2 includes Mary with Joanna and Susanna, as women who had been miraculously healed of evil spirits and disease. Mary was singled out as having had seven demons driven from her, indicating that she probably was the most in need.

      Seven evil spirits.
      In the Bible, the number seven is often a symbol of �completeness� rather than meaning a numerical value.
      Genesis 4:15 says that anyone who killed Cain would pay for it seven times over.
      Matthew 12:45 tells of the danger that a person is in once they have been delivered from an evil spirit. If they do not fill themselves with the power of the Holy Spirit, the evil spirit will come back, bringing with it seven more.
      See also Deuteronomy 28:7

      This indicates to me that Mary was completely possessed by the evil spirits.

      Her great need, when she met Jesus, brought about tremendous gratitude at being healed. Mary knew from first hand experience that this man could only be the Almighty God and she spent the rest of her life in worship and service to Him.

      Mary followed Jesus and helped Him in His ministry using her own funds. When most of His other disciples had fled, she was among the women standing close to the cross as He died. She followed as His body was taken to the tomb and watched as the stone was rolled into place. Matthew 27:55-61.
      She hurried back on Sunday morning with spices and perfume to care for His body. That�s when she found the stone rolled away and was given the honor of being the first to see the resurrected, living Jesus. She carried the message of joy to the disciples as He instructed her. John 20:1-18

      I see in Mary, the portrait of a resurrected soul. Some others, healed by Jesus, couldn�t fully understand Who it was that touched them, but Mary, who had seen the worst life could offer, fully understood the value of the new life that Jesus offered.
    • moscelder
      Message 47 of 47 , Jun 14, 2007
        This is in response to Mathews mail. Sir the father of Malankara
        Church as of now spiritual and temporal is HH Catholicose Didymus I.
        None of the choices in your mail has anything to do with Malankara
        Church. We are not an Idavaka Palli. We are the spiritual children of
        St.Thomas and have always been led by our own leaders. It is true
        that some foreigners were given hospitality, but that era is over.

        The Malankara church was never led by the Babylonian or Chaldean
        Patriarchs in the sense you are writing. We may have been in
        communion with them at some point of time. The church was forcibly
        led by the Pope of Rome and after him by the Patriarch of Antioch.

        If anyone disputes the Apostolic See of St.Thomas then they are not
        from Malankara. He/ She is not a spiritual child of St.Thomas.

        Finally I wish to conclude this discussion. No further mails on this
        topic shall be posted.

        Yrs
        Itoop

        Kindly read the messages numbered #5558, #5565, # 5576 and #5599.
        MOSC wants to move ahead. Please pray that MOSC synod and Managing
        Committe will accept our Groups proposals and end this prolonged feud.

        Group Elder
        Owner MOSC forum