How St. George got into the Indian worship scene ..

  • George Easaw
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2006
      Can anybody throw some light on how St. George the patron saint of
      England came to be recognised as a prominent saint in the Malankara
      Orthodox church, especially Puthupally church.

      regrds,
      george..
    • jose_ua
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 6, 2006
        Hi George,
        St.George came to Malankara via the Persian church. Sea faring
        nazranes were the one who got hold of the relics of St.George and
        established the same in Malankara. It is widely believed that
        St.George's intercession can break any type of witchcraft or spell. He
        is known to personally attack those who oppose the children of God.
        The name Geevaraghese sahada is probably the syriac version of the
        name. So strong is the faith in St. George that most churches in
        kerala were named after him. It is only after the canonisation of Mar
        Gregorios that our churches got at alternative, to name their
        churches. It is intresting to note that even Parumala thirumeni's
        first name is Geevaraghese.

        We have been blessed with a child after I took Nercha at St. George
        church,Chandanapally. We have named our son Joshua as a gratitude to
        our lord. Please treat this as my personal testimony.

        Jose
        7/10/06

        --- In MalankaraOrthodoxSyrianChristian@yahoogroups.com, "George
        Easaw" <geasaw@...> wrote:

        > Can anybody throw some light on how St. George the patron saint of
        > England came to be recognised as a prominent saint in the Malankara
        > Orthodox church, especially Puthupally church.
        >
        > regrds,
        > george..

      • moscelder
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 11, 2006
          Im glad to hear your testimony. All of us are greatly edified by
          this.

          St .George interceed for us now and always.
          Itoop Korah

          --- In MalankaraOrthodoxSyrianChristian@yahoogroups.com, "jose_ua"