The Beatitudes

  • Dr.George Jacob, PhD.
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 20, 2006
      Beloved Ones,
      I agree with achen that Luke portrays Jesus as the son of man. But orthodox have always insisted that Jesus was both True God and True Man at the same time. This is a great truth and mystery and deserves adoration. Im sorry to say this but the Bible Phillip is talking about is full of deception.

      "And seeing the multitudes, he went up into a mountain: and when he was
      set, his disciples came unto him: And he opened his mouth, and taught
      them, saying," MAT 5:1-2.

      The Sermon on the Mount is found in Matthew 5-7. In this message we will
      consider the introduction found in the words of our text. These two
      verses contain tremendously precious truths even though they were just
      the preparatory language for the Sermon on the Mount; nothing in the
      Bible was spoken in vain. They may seem only preparatory in nature, yet
      these verses are filled with precious truths.

      We will also take notice of the reference to the Sermon on the Mount in
      LUK 6:20-49. It is, however, a more abbreviated form of the Sermon on
      the Mount. The Book of Matthew brings forth the complete sermon. In
      Matthew three full chapters are dedicated to the Sermon on the Mount,
      but in the Book of Luke 29 verses are devoted to the Sermon. The Book of
      Luke does not cover in the depth that the Book of Matthew does.
      Therefore, we are going to consider the text in the Book of Matthew.
      First we are going to unfold what we find in these two verses.

      Where was this sermon preached? If we notice in Verse 1, it says the
      sermon was preached on the mountain. A mountain is a place of
      exaltation. It was a symbol of the kingly office of Christ by the
      exaltation of Christ--that ascending the mountain. It says, "...and when
      he was set, his disciples came unto him." The custom of the Jews and the
      Pharisees was to sit down to teach. When He came into this place at the
      top of the mountain and was sat down, His disciples came around Him.

      To whom was the Sermon preached? He did not withdraw Himself as some
      commentators contend. They say that He was just sitting with His
      disciples. This is not what MAT 5:1 means. The multitude did go up; LUK
      6:17 mentions the multitudes. "And he came down with them, and stood in
      the plain, and the company of his disciples, and a great multitude of
      people out of all Judaea and Jerusalem, and from the sea coast of Tyre
      and Sidon, which came to hear him, and to be healed of their diseases."

      When Jesus got through with the Sermon on the Mount, we see what the
      reaction of the multitudes was to His sermon. In MAT 7:28-29 we read,
      "And it came to pass, when Jesus had ended these sayings, the people
      were astonished at his doctrine: For he taught them as one having
      authority, and not as the scribes." To say that only Jesus and His
      disciples were on the mountain goes against the Word of God. We must
      understand that the multitude came to be taught.

      What did He teach? He taught the true spirit of the law and the gospel.
      Today the theory is that the law has been abolished. Nothing is further
      from the truth because the Lord Jesus Christ taught the true spirit of
      the law in the gospel. The Lord Jesus Christ revealed the Pharisees'
      warped interpretation of the law to contrast the true spirit of the law
      in the gospel.

      MAT 22:36-40 says, "Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
      Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy
      heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first
      and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love
      thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and
      the prophets." He means this is the law of love and the gospel.

      It is the same when Christ was speaking the parable about the rich man
      and Lazarus. LUK 16:27- 29 says, "Then he said, I pray thee therefore,
      father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house: For I have
      five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into
      this place of torment. Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the
      prophets; let them hear them."

      What did He really teach us about the law? The law is the law of love.
      We must not look at the law as anything but the law of love. What is the
      first thing it teaches? It teaches the love of God. What are the first
      four commandments? They teach us to love God above all. What are the
      next six commandments? They teach us to love our neighbor as ourselves.
      How can we say the law has been abolished? It is absolutely contrary to
      Scripture because, "...the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy
      neighbour as thyself," MAT 22:39. We are not to kill; we are not to
      covet; we are not to steal. All these commandments point to loving thy
      neighbor as thyself.

      What about the first four commandments? "Thou shalt have no other gods
      before me...Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in
      vain...Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy," EXO 20:3-8. These are
      the commandments of loving God above all.

      When they said unto Him, "Master, which is the great commandment in the
      law? Jesus said unto him, [The law of love!] Thou shalt love the Lord
      thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy
      mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like
      unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself," MAT 22:36-39.

      Any person who professes Christianity and says that the law of love has
      been abolished is speaking contrary to the Word of God. The law of love
      is the law of the gospel and the gospel is Jesus Christ himself.
    • Philip Oommen
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 30, 2006
        Dear George
        Thanks a lot for the mail. I am wrestling in prayer to raise a group of church leaders who would stop idol/icon worship in the church and restore apostolic worship in the church.Choosing baylonian style worship was the greatest tragedy of Malankara Orthodox church. We should have chosen Jewish type worship since Apostolics were Jews. As apostle Paul said to Timoty" we have some form of Godly worship" not the real worship.
        Sir, a man who has Holy Spirit will not seek icons and idols for worship.Psalm teaches that people who seek icons/idols become like them(shadow of truth).True worshippers seek God's face daily, their faces will be shone like the face of Jesus. You heard the news of a christian actress who become hindu worship since she received her wishes from the temple devi. Idol worshippers are no better than her. Idol worshippers were baptized in the church.Slowly they become dead icon worshippers when they got their wishes through icon worship.Study their reward in Rev.20:14,15- second death in the lake of fire.This is Orthodox liturgy for funeral. I praise the forefather who wrote it in our liturgy.Can any orthodox man deny it.?NO. I am sorry for the clergy who doesn't teach it in the church.Kuriolaison
        Sincerely
        Philip

        Sincerely
        Philip

        george_cthomas <george_cthomas@...> wrote:
        Moscow, January 24, Interfax - The return to Russia of the Icon of
        Our Lady of Smolensk the Hodygitria (Guider), which was stolen ten
        years ago, was marked with a miracle.

        When it was taken from London to Moscow by air, a storm warning was
        issued. A thunderstorm with a hurricane wind pulled out trees. The
        airliner carrying the icon could not land. The staff was prepared
        for an emergency landing and evacuation of the passengers at
        Sheremetyevo-2 airport, the Zhizn (Life) daily writes on Tuesday.

        The pilots made the final round over the capital. Suddenly the
        downpour stopped, the wind abated and the sun began to shine.
        Everybody on board was certain that the Mother of God prevented the
        death of the people.

        The icon had been put in the cabin, not in the luggage space, though
        its largeness did not permit it. Aware of a miracle-working icon
        packed in the box, passengers came to it and touch it with prayer,
        said Victor Petrakov, who is responsible for the preservation of
        cultural values in the Rosokhrancultura federal service.

        `I will never forget how terrified I was. It seemed the lightening
        would break through the portholes', said one of the stewardesses who
        kept praying at the icon.

        The Hodygitria of Smolensk is considered to be one of the oldest
        icons from the icon-screen of Cathedral of the Nativity of the
        Mother of God in Ustyuzhna near Vologda. It was glorified as a
        miracle-working icon as far back as the 15th century. It was reputed
        to save Ustyuzhna from the Polish-Lithuanian invasion 1608 and was
        glorified throughout Russia.

        In 1994 it was stolen from the regional museum in Ustyuzhna. The
        theft was not solved and the perpetrators were not identified. A few
        years later, it was discovered in London. Its return to Russia was
        made possible through the efforts of the Federal Service for
        Monitoring the Observance of the Legislation on Mass Communications
        and Cultural Heritage Protection.

        In the nearest future, the discovered miracle-working icon will be
        displayed for general veneration in the Church of Christ the
        Saviour.

        I HOPE THE ABOVE MESSAGE WILL HELP HALF-ORTHODOX(OR PROTESTANT?)
        PEOPLE LIKE PHILIP OOMEN TO UNDERSTAND THE IMPORTANCE OF ICONS IN
        THE HOLY ORTHODOX FAITH

        George T.

        Kuwait
      • george_cthomas
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1 6:26 AM
          dear Philip Oomen
          Please donot expect to make alterations and deletions in the Holy
          Orthodox Faith.I advice you to join marthoma church where you can
          enjoy a half Qurbana,because they have already altered and trimmed
          the Apostolic faith, and you can also make lots of changes there.

          George T.
          Kuwait

          e --- In MalankaraOrthodoxSyrianChristian@yahoogroups.com, Philip
          Oommen <philipoommen@...> wrote:

> [...]
          reputed
          > to save Ustyuzhna from the Polish-Lithuanian invasion 1608 and was
          > glorified throughout Russia.
          >
          > In 1994 it was stolen from the regional museum in Ustyuzhna. The
          > theft was not solved and the perpetrators were not identified. A
          few
          > years later, it was discovered in London. Its return to Russia was
          > made possible through the efforts of the Federal Service for
          > Monitoring the Observance of the Legislation on Mass
          Communications
          > and Cultural Heritage Protection.
          >
          > In the nearest future, the discovered miracle-working icon will be
          > displayed for general veneration in the Church of Christ the
          > Saviour.
          >
          > I HOPE THE ABOVE MESSAGE WILL HELP HALF-ORTHODOX(OR PROTESTANT?)
          > PEOPLE LIKE PHILIP OOMEN TO UNDERSTAND THE IMPORTANCE OF ICONS IN

        • Philip Oommen
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 3 6:31 AM
            Dear Geroge T
            Faith from the Holy Bible is Holy. Faith not from Holy Bible is not Holy.It is as simple as this. Traditional church has faithless things in the church building. Other people have faithless things outside the church.All people have Bible.One is Holy because its from Holy God. Others have also Bible but they are from unholy men.
            Adam and Eve worshipped God when God visited them in the Garden. When God left the Garden after visit,Eve used to hear secretly anti God messages from Satan. Traditional churches worship idols/icon in the church. Others worship satan outside the church. What is the solution. Study word of God and meditate on the verses.
            Sincerely
            Philip

            Oommen <philipoommen@...> wrote:

> [...]
            reputed
            > to save Ustyuzhna from the Polish-Lithuanian invasion 1608 and was
            > glorified throughout Russia.
            >
            > In 1994 it was stolen from the regional museum in Ustyuzhna. The
            > theft was not solved and the perpetrators were not identified. A
            few
            > years later, it was discovered in London. Its return to Russia was
            > made possible through the efforts of the Federal Service for
            > Monitoring the Observance of the Legislation on Mass
            Communications
            > and Cultural Heritage Protection.
            >
            > In the nearest future, the discovered miracle-working icon will be
            > displayed for general veneration in the Church of Christ the
            > Saviour.
            >
            > I HOPE THE ABOVE MESSAGE WILL HELP HALF-ORTHODOX(OR PROTESTANT?)
            > PEOPLE LIKE PHILIP OOMEN TO UNDERSTAND THE IMPORTANCE OF ICONS IN

          • Thomas Varghese
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 5 9:02 PM
              Dear all

              I am having one doubt. I feel The Bible itself is a tradition only.
              We are beleiving in it because our tradition says it is Holy. There
              fore those who do not beleive in old traditions do not have any right
              to beleive in Holy Bible also as it contradict their own statement
              that they are not following traditions.Let them first explain why
              they think Bible as holy (without the support of tradition).

              Is it bible only a compilation of some of the books available at
              early times. There fore taking it as complete and thinking that we
              are more intelligent than our orthodox saintly forefathers all over
              the world who followed varios customs, may not be correct.
              Thanks
              Thomas Varghese
              Karakkal
            • alice john
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 6 5:30 AM
                "Faith from the Holy Bible is Holy. Faith not from Holy Bible is not Holy.It is as simple as this. Traditional church has faithless things in the church building."

                dear Philip,
                We don't say holy bible, but church is holy because of the faithful congregation of believers. Because God dwells in us, we say that our body is holy in concept, but it is sinful. Bible is a collection of books, where the the word of God is imprinted, yet it has deficiencies and incongruities. But a person only can be declared as a saint after his death owing to many miracles happening in his name. when he becomes an Elect of the spirit, one is put under such category. The protestants attribute holiness to the bible only for desecrating or lowering its position and the holiness of the church that has an altar, relics and all the worshipping imperatives. You try to defy all what a genuine group has been trying to convince you so far. You are your own architect; we can't change you.I may have to criticize the corruptions of a handful members of the Orthodox church, not the apostolic faith handed down so far by the spiritual warlords. You are engaged in a gang war just
                for recruting derailed members in your fold. It is better for you to realize that this heterogeneous teaching that you do as a pretence of safeguarding the O.church is a fake one. Bible is the tongue of the body, church, whereas the body is complete in itself for its function as the spirit of God runs it. The church is holy, the bible that depicts also some misdoings of some people cannot be treated as holy. It is only the word of God, not His Body that is full and has mystifying effect.

                E.s.John, australia