Do we love Christ?

  • Dr. George Jacob, PhD
    Message 1 of 1944 , May 28, 2006
      Beloved members,

      "On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." MAT
      22:40.

      The heart of the true believer will tremble at His Word. We read in ISA
      66:2, "For all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things
      have been, saith the LORD: but to this man will I look, even to him that
      is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word." This does
      not mean that we tremble with a slavish fear, but we have such a holy
      reverence for the Word of God that our heart trembles to think that we
      have done things that displease Him.

      A right understanding of our text unveils the words of our Saviour in
      JOH 14:23; "Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will
      keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him,
      and make our abode with him." The Ten Commandments are the laws of
      love, and He says, "If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my
      Father will love him." The Father loves us when we keep His words and
      repent. Then God the Father and God the Son will make their abode with
      us.

      What is salvation? So many people think salvation means going to
      heaven, but they are wrong. Moses did not even want to go to the
      Promised Land unless the Lord was there; he said, "If thy presence go
      not with me, carryest not up hence." Salvation is to abide with the
      Lord, that God the Father, God the Son, and the Holy Spirit dwell
      within. "If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will
      love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him."

      The gospel must begin with the wrath of God against sin and end with the
      Father being glorified by the fruit of repentance. The fruit of
      repentance is that we will keep His Word; then He will make His abode
      with us. The gospel must begin with how God is so angry at sin and end
      with how pleased He is with obedience, which is the work of repentance.
      JOH 15:8 says, "Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit;
      so shall ye be my disciples." He is glorified when we bear the fruit of
      repentance, when our hearts are turned unto His will, and when we do
      that which is pleasing to the Lord.

      Righteousness shall enlighten the heavens for all eternity. We read in
      REV 21:23, "And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to
      shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the
      light thereof."

      The righteousness of the saints, which is the fruit of repentance, is
      the imparted righteousness of Christ. REV 19:8 says, "And to her [His
      church; the heavenly bride] was granted that she should be arrayed in
      fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of
      saints." We will be clothed with that fine linen throughout eternity,
      which is the linen we are dressed in as the bride of Christ, which is
      the work of repentance.

      The commandment that all the law and the prophets hang on is to love God
      above all with our hearts, our souls, and our minds, and to love our
      neighbor as ourselves. When the work of grace is wrought in us so all
      our rebellion and hatred is taken away, our love for sin is broken, we
      delight to do the will of God, and Christ becomes formed in us, then we
      have remission of sin, but not until then.

      Repentance and remission of sins must be preached, not remission of sins
      then repentance. The gospel must begin by showing that the Lord is
      displeased with sin and that we will be dressed for eternity in the
      clean, white linen, which is the righteousness of the saints. We must
      have a right attitude, that Christ is formed in us, and that Christ
      becomes our all in all. "If a man love me, he will keep my words: and
      my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode
      with him."
    • Mark Sadek
      Message 1944 of 1944 , Apr 27 6:14 PM
        CHRIST IS RISEN! TRULY HE IS RISEN!

        "By the death of martyrs religion has been defended, faith increased, the Church strengthened; the dead have conquered, the persecutors have been overcome. And so we celebrate the death of those of whose lives we are ignorant. So, too, David rejoiced in prophecy at the departure of his own soul, saying: ‘Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints.’ He esteemed death better than life. The death itself of the martyrs is the prize of their life. And again, by the death of those at variance hatred is put an end to."

        St. Ambrose of Milan, On Belief in the Resurrection.

        "And those who know Your name will put their trust in You; For You, Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You."  Psalm 9:10

        The Bible reading for the 20th of Baramoudah, April 28, is:
        54 Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. 55 For My flesh is food indeed, and My blood is drink indeed. 56 He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him. 57 As the living Father sent Me, and I live because of the Father, so he who feeds on Me will live because of Me. 58 This is the bread which came down from heaven--not as your fathers ate the manna, and are dead. He who eats this bread will live forever. (John 6:54-58)
        Martyrdom of St. Babnuda (Paphnute).

        The Bible reading for the 21st of Baramoudah, April 29, is: John 6:1-14
        Commemoration of the Lady the Theotokos.
        Departure of St. Hierotheos, of Athens.

        The Bible reading for the 22nd of Baramoudah, April 30, is: John 6:35-45
        Departure of St. Isaac (Ishaq), of Hourin.
        Departure of St. Alexander I, 19th Pope of the See of St. Mark.
        Departure of St. Mark 11, 49th Pope of the See of St. Mark.
        Departure of St. Michael 11, 53rd Pope of the See of St. Mark.

        Prayer Requests:

        I. Tadros - Broken ankle, awaiting surgery.
        C's uncle - Stage 4 cancer.
        Sam - Drugs Addiction.
        B.E.
        The Helmi family.
        Yaga - Cancer.
        Robert - 8-month-old infant with a rare kidney disease.
        Faith and family - Healing and guidance
        Ricardo F. - Serious Health issues
        Thomas, Matthew, Irene and Ayman M.
        Hanna - Heart surgery
        Ursula - Another surgery
        Evelyn - Cancer
        5 years old Luke - Health issues
        Daoud - Peace.
        Edith D.
        AA and her kids
        MB
        Emad
        Brienne B. - Dealing with a serious illness
        John B. - Peace
        M & M - Strong faith
        Mina, I.
        Mary - Illness