Freely we love Him

  • John Abraham
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 17, 2006
      Dear Elders and beloved members,
      With solemnity I have been going through your discussions. I understand its a desire to be with God and knowing the truth which makes you so eranest and bold. Please go through this message. I hope it comforts you.

      "We would see Jesus."-John 12:21

      Evermore the worldling's cry is, Who will show us any good?" He seeks satisfaction in earthly comforts, enjoyments, and riches. But the quickened sinner knows of only one good. "O that I knew where I might find HIM!" When he is truly awakened to feel his guilt, if you could pour the gold of India at his feet, he would say, "Take it away: I want to find HIM." It is a blessed thing for a man, when he has brought his desires into a focus, so that they all centre in one object. When he has fifty different desires, his heart resembles a mere of stagnant water, spread out into a marsh, breeding miasma and pestilence; but when all his desires are brought into one channel, his heart becomes like a river of pure water, running swiftly to fertilize the fields. Happy is he who has one desire, if that one desire be set on Christ, though it may not yet have been realized. If Jesus be a soul's desire, it is a blessed sign of divine work within. Such a man will never be content with mere !
      ordinances. He will say, "I want Christ; I must have Him-mere ordinances are of no use to me; I want Himself; do not offer me these; you offer me the empty pitcher, while I am dying of thirst; give me water, or I die. Jesus is my soul's desire. I would see Jesus!"

      Is this your condition, my friend, at this moment? Do you have this one desire, and is that after Christ? Then you are notfar from the kingdom of heaven. Do you have this one wish in your heart, and that one wish that thou mayst be washed from all thy sins in Jesus' blood? Can you really say, "I would give all I have to be a Christian; I would give up everything I have and hope for, if I might but feel that I have an interest in Christ"? Then, despite all thy fears, be of good cheer, the Lord loves you, and you will come out into daylight soon, and rejoice in the liberty wherewith Christ makes men free.
    • Dr. George Jacob, PhD
      Message 2 of 13 , May 6 7:31 AM
        Beloved Ones,
        Many of us who are highly qualified suffer from, ego problems. This is a discussion on that problem.

        The Apostle Paul said in 1TI 1:15, "This is a faithful saying, and
        worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to
        save sinners; of whom I am chief."

        Jesus teaches that being even the least bit self-centered in our
        motivation brings us guilty as one who has broken the law of God.
        When self becomes the center, we are guilty of breaking God’s law
        of love.

        In the seventh commandment, the Lord brings forward how self is
        served with lust. Lust is so self-centered it destroys. The Lord is
        showing in our text how the slightest violation of the seventh
        commandment is destructive self-centeredness.

        These principles which the Lord Jesus brings forth make the
        distinction between the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees
        and the imparted righteousness of Christ. We must watch for these
        principles. A Pharisaical, self-centered righteousness makes one
        view himself as having done very well in keeping most of the
        commandments. You and I have a tendency in most of the commandments
        to look at them in a Pharisaical way without really understanding
        the spirit of the law.

        Jesus taught the spirituality of the law, which is God-centered.
        The motivation is for the glory of God; the motivation is love for
        God! Loving God above all and loving our neighbour as ourselves is
        the spirituality of the law. This teaches the law through the
        mirror of self-knowledge showing what an incurable disease the
        leprosy of sin is. The spirit of the law teaches self-knowledge.

        As a Pharisee, the Apostle Paul was able to teach us what it was to
        see the law through the eyes of a Pharisee. He also taught us what
        it is to see the law spiritually. The Apostle Paul gives us some
        beautiful illustrations. He says in PHI 3:4-6, "Though I might also
        have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he
        hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more: Circumcised the
        eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an
        Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee; Concerning
        zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is
        in the law, blameless." What does He mean when saying, "as touching
        the law, a Pharisee"? He means that as touching the law, he has
        obeyed it to the last jot and tittle in a legal sense.

        When Paul’s eyes were opened and when his righteousness began to
        exceed this Pharisaical righteousness, he could say as we read in
        PHI 3:7-10, "But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss
        for Christ. Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the
        excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I
        have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung,
        that I may win Christ. [In other words, he lost all this self-
        righteousness; he lost all these things that he had at first
        counted as gain. Now he sees that he has to write death on them all
        because it was self-centered; it was not God-centered.] And be
        found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the
        law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the
        righteousness which is of God by faith: That I may know him, and
        the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his
        sufferings, being made conformable unto his death."

        Seeing the spirituality of the law fosters humility with a heart
        tender for the will of God. When we start to understand the
        spirituality of the law, we start by saying with the Apostle Paul
        in 1TI 1:15, "This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all
        acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners;
        of whom I am chief." When the mirror of self-knowledge came up
        before his eyes, the Apostle Paul saw the spirituality of the law.
        We, too, must see the spirituality of the law for until we see the
        spirituality of the law, we have no need for a Saviour. We think we
        are self-efficient; we don’t need a Saviour. With a God-centered
        view of each commandment, we stand before the mirror of self-
        knowledge and see our lost condition and our need of a Saviour.

        This is when the conviction of sin starts bringing us to Christ.
        The spirituality of the law teaches us to fear self, hypocrisy, and
        the deceitfulness of the motives of the heart. We become afraid of
        ourselves. When you meet a person it is a common custom to ask,
        "How are you?" If we were really in the right spirit, our answer
        would have to be "How am I? I am wretched; I am sinful, and I need
        a Saviour." This would have to be our response if we are going to
        be honest to the world. Every time a person asks, "How are you?",
        the response should be "I am wretched; I am sinful. I am afraid of
        myself because I know that if the Lord would leave me over to
        myself, I would destroy myself. I see the hypocrisy that is within
        my heart. I see the deceitfulness of the motives of my heart."

        As we grow in the knowledge of self, we have to analyze every
        motive; we have to analyze every statement. We have to analyze
        everything in the light of the spirit of the law. How does it stand
        in the light of God’s countenance? At this point all we can say is,
        as Apostle Paul said, "He came to save sinners of whom I am chief."
      • bindusirs
        Message 3 of 13 , May 7 6:55 AM
          Dear Saji,
          The polls which you commented about will not be concluded in near
          future. They are relevant to all members particularly the ones who
          join MOSC new.

          I can't see why ICON which never had a poll in 6 years comes up
          suddenly with a political poll. Chandy will be losing precious
          Jacobite votes on account of this misadventure by ICON.

          Yrs
          Bindu Scaria, IRS
          Group Moderator: MOSC Group

          --- In MalankaraOrthodoxSyrianChristian@yahoogroups.com, "Saji"