Vitrue of charity

  • Dr. Siby Chacko
    Message 1 of 2090 , Mar 2, 2006
      Dear Ones,
      But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth: that thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in, secret himself shall regard thee openly. (Matthew 6:3-4)

      No promise is made to those who give to the poor to be seen of men. They have their reward at once and cannot expect to be paid twice.

      Let us hide away our charity--yes, hide it even from ourselves. Give so often and so much as a matter of course that you no more take note that you have helped the poor than that you have eaten your regular meals. Do your alms without even whispering to yourself, How generous I am! Do not thus attempt to reward yourself. Leave the matter with God, who never fails to see, to record, and to reward. Blessed is the man who is busy in secret with his kindness: he finds a special joy in his unknown benevolences. This is the bread, which eaten by stealth, is sweeter than the banquets of kings. How can I indulge myself today with this delightful luxury? Let me have a real feast of tenderness and Row of soul.

      Here and hereafter the Lord Himself will personally see to the rewarding of the secret giver of alms. This will be in His own way and time; and He will choose the very best. How much this promise means it will need eternity to reveal. ~Siby
    • Mark Sadek
      Message 2090 of 2090 , Dec 14 5:52 PM

        "Beware of limiting the good of fasting to mere abstinence from meats. Real fasting is alienation from evil. ‘Loose the bands of wickedness.’ For give your neighbor the mischief he has done you. Forgive him his trespasses against you. Do not ‘fast for strife and debate.’ You do not devour flesh, but you devour your brother. You abstain from wine, but you indulge in outrages. You wait for evening before you take food, but you spend the day in the law courts. Woe to those who are ‘drunken, but not with wine.’ Anger is the intoxication of the soul, and makes it out of its wits like wine."

        St. Basil, Homily on The Holy Spirit.

        "Now, therefore," says the Lord, "Turn to Me with all your heart, With fasting, with weeping, and with mourning."  Joel 2:12

        The Bible reading for the 6th of Kiahk, December 15, is:
        1 Most assuredly, I say to you, he who does not enter the sheepfold by the door, but climbs up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber. 2 But he who enters by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. 3 To him the doorkeeper opens, and the sheep hear his voice; and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. 4 And when he brings out his own sheep, he goes before them; and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice. 5 Yet they will by no means follow a stranger, but will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers. 6 Jesus used this illustration, but they did not understand the things which He spoke to them. 7 Then Jesus said to them again, Most assuredly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. 8 All who ever came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them. 9 I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture. 10 The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly. 11 I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep. 12 But a hireling, he who is not the shepherd, one who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees; and the wolf catches the sheep and scatters them. 13 The hireling flees because he is a hireling and does not care about the sheep. 14 I am the good shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My own. 15 As the Father knows Me, even so I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep. 16 And other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they will hear My voice; and there will be one flock and one shepherd. (John 10:1-16)
        Departure of St. Abraam (Abraham), Ebn-Zaraa, 62nd Pope of Alexandria.
        Martyrdom of St. Anatolius (Anatole).

        The Bible reading for the 7th of Kiahk, December 16, is: Mark 9:33-41
        Departure of St. Matthew the Poor.

        The Bible reading for the 8th of Kiahk, December 17, is: Luke 1:26-38
        Departure of St. Heraclas (Theoclas), 13th Pope of Alexandria.
        Martyrdom of the Saints: Barbara and Juliana.
        Martyrdom of the Saints: Esi (Isi) and His Sister Thecla.
        Departure of St. Samuel the Abbot of El-Qualamon Monastery (Abba Samuel the Confessor).
        Departure of Abba Youtos El Antony.

        Prayer Requests:

        Awad, L.
        Iskaros.
        Urgent: Teresa - serious complications from diabetes.
        Jessenia W - Bipolar depression.
        Urgent: Amal - Cancer.
        Tony H. - Cancer.
        C's uncle - Stage 4 cancer.