Ransomed soul

  • Shirley Chacko
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 1, 2006

      From Thee aside.

      Shall o'er me roll,
      Blest Saviour, then, in love,
      Fear and distrust remove;
      O bear me safe above,
      A ransomed soul.
    • ronniedaniel1953
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 5, 2006
        Dear Mathew

        Be reasonable brother. Why you wanted to confuse others.
        There is no grey area. Let me put this story straight again.

        In the undivided Malankara Church when HH Patriarch Abdullah II
        arrived in Malankara for the second
        time in end-1909 there were three bishops.
        They were :

        Malankara Metropolitan Vattasseril Mor Geevarghese
        Dionysius VI, Murimattam Mor Paulose Ivanios, Kochuparambil Mor
        Koorilos Paulose.

        A rift between the visiting patriarch and Vattasseril thirumeni soon
        came into public view. The Patriarch soon consecrated two more
        bishops in 1910 Mor Athanasius Paulose and Mor Severios
        Gheevarghese without the consent of the Synod in Malankara.

        These two and one Bishop from the Original undivided Malankara Synod
        formed a new Synod.

        That means the undivided orginal Malankara Synod has now Two
        Metropolitans. Both of them unainamously decided to establish the
        catholicate in Malankara. Where is the grey area in this ???

        rgds
        ronnie
      • abraham10281
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 5, 2006
          Thanks Georgy,

          I am convinced that Mr Julius was a political opponent of the
          Portugese regime also. My earlier posting was based on my readings
          about his life, mostly pertaining to religious activities. Thanks
          again for revealing a totally new facet of this great personality to
          me.

          Cant help but notice, but you seem to take offence to my usage of
          terms. When you make a statement unsubstantiated by references or
          facts, then it remains a 'hypothesis' I had absolutely no intention
          of mocking you. I felt with all your literary (i mean writing )
          skills you would understand what I mean

          And you dont need to try for cheap sympathy by using terms
          like "cunning, thieving Indian Orthodox Church". The IOC has enough
          of my sympathy already. I totally respect you and also appreciate
          your posting, but this line could have been avoided. Putting words in
          my mouth or thoughts in my head arent exactly the right way to
          counter me. Of course your take on this aspect may be different.

          > To think that Mathew G M described this same thirumeni, who didn't
          > take shit from anybody, as a ``metropolitan directly under the
          > Patriarch of Antioch''. To borrow your words,
          > Abraham, ``interesting, though a little unsound''.

          I dont see what is unsound in this statement.

          Infact if one goes through the reference you have given
          http://syrcom.cua.edu/Hugoye/Vol7No2/HV7N2Kiraz.html
          please look at the translation of Alvares's certificate- line 15,

          "and to exercise all consecrations and spiritual functions, etc.,
          suitable to the rank of Metropolitan under the jurisdiction of Moran
          the Patriarch, the high-priest, the head of our faith" .

          This one line should convince anyone if he was a metropolitan
          directly under the Patriarch.

          Indeed your reply contained rhetoric in great measure, but the
          flourish of it is really in the eyes of the reader. ;) Hearing this
          for the first time in my life

          There is absolutely no offence taken, on the contrary thank you for
          your clarification.

          Btw, The Brahmavar mission that was under Mor Julius is currenlty
          part of IOC, but the Honavar Mission also under Mor Julius is
          currently under JSC. Manoj had written mails about that mission and
          its activities earlier.

          Cheers,
          Abraham Kurian

          --- In MalankaraOrthodoxSyrianChristian@yahoogroups.com, "georgy s
          thomas" <samadhanasnehi@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > they see it cannot be measured by the common yardsticks used to
          > assess ordinary ``sensible'' people. Let's get to the heart of the
          > matter.
          >
          > How do we know that Alvares thirumeni opposed the Roman Catholic
          > Church?
          >
          > Because he wrote critical pamphlets against the church with
          > provocative titles like ``Universal Supremacy in the Church of
          > Christ'. Because he broke away with nearly three thousand of his
          > supporters and joined Malankara Sabha first as a ramban, and then
          > following his elevation, as a metropolitan. Because the Catholic
          > Church foisted false cases against him in faraway places like
          > Tirunelveli, persecuted him in myriad ways, and excommunicated him.
          > Because, finally on his death, the church buried him in
          > a `themmadikuzhi'.
          > We also know that he was opposed to the Roman Catholic Church
          > because he shared the views of the Old Catholic rebels who opposed
          > the First Vatican Council's acceptance of the doctrine of Papal
          > Infallibility. His name is thus associated with the Independent
          > Catholic Church of Ceylon, Goa, and India. We further know that he
          > sympathised with the rebellious Old Catholic Church because he co-
          > consecrated an Old Catholic Frenchman from the United States by
          name
          > Joseph René Vilatte as a bishop in the Syriac Orthodox Church under
          > the name Mor Thimotheos. More details of René Vilatte can be
          > obtained from the George Kiraz article which Mathew cited:
          > http://syrcom.cua.edu/Hugoye/Vol7No2/HV7N2Kiraz.html
          > Let me just note that Vilatte's subsequent conduct has spawned a
          > modern tradition of episcopi vagantes.
          >
          > Now for his nationalist sentiments and opposition to Portugal bit.
          > You describe my contentions rather patronisingly
          > as ``hypothesis'', ``interesting, though a little unsound'' and the
          > like. Very well. My description of thirumeni as a staunch
          > nationalist who opposed Portuguese rule in Goa was not something
          > that I conjured up in my mind. Thirumeni was in fact one of the
          > heroes of the Goan nationalist movement. Let me come to it with
          some
          > rhetorical flourish.
          >
          > How do we know that thirumeni opposed the Portuguese and was a
          > nationalist?
          > Because his grave at the St Inez Cemetry in Panaji was marked by a
          > huge concrete cross, and bore the following inscription in
          > Portuguese language, ``a great humanitarian missionary and one
          great
          > patriot''. Though his remains have been relocated to the St Mary's
          > Orthodox Church in Ribander, the original grave and the inscription
          > are still located at the St Inez cemetery.
          > Because thirumeni was also an accomplished journalist and wrote
          hard-
          > hitting articles against the Portuguese administration through
          > publications like A Cruz (The Cross), A Verde (The Truth), The
          Times
> [...]
          > vestments for aiding and abetting the rebellion against Portuguese
          > authority.
          > Because of all these reasons, Abraham, we can safely consider that
          > Mor Julius Alvares thirumeni was a staunch nationalist. Don't
          > believe me? Read this article from the respected Economic and
          > Political Weekly:
          > http://www.epw.org.in/showArticles.php?
          > root=2005&leaf=02&filename=8339&filetype=html
          > The Pe (meaning Padre) Alvares being referred to is none other than
          > our thirumeni. Goans knew him by that name. Since Brado Indiano is
          > clearly mentioned alongside Alvares' name, we can be safe. Or can
          > we? What if the Alvares, who was the editor of Brado Indiano, is
          > some other Alvares? Why should you trust me? I am after all a
          member
          > of the cunning, thieving Indian Orthodox Church. Well, here's
          > confirmation from a posting by a respected Goan historian
          > Teotonio R de Souza. He is the head of the history department at
          the
          > Lusofna University in Lisbon, Portugal:
          > http://www.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet/2004-April/011781.html
          >
          > To think that Mathew G M described this same thirumeni, who didn't
          > take shit from anybody, as a ``metropolitan directly under the
          > Patriarch of Antioch''. To borrow your words,
          > Abraham, ``interesting, though a little unsound''.
          >
          > Regarding your assertions about the synodal majority, counting all
          > the Malayalee bishops, I repeat once again what I already said. In
          > August 1911, a rival Malankara Association was held at the behest
          of
          > the visiting Patriarch, and Kochuparambil thirumeni was made the
          > rival Malankara Metropolitan. There cannot be two Malankara
          > Metropolitans in the same synod. The two factions were thus
          > functioning as separate churches. Therefore, Mathew's schema of
          > counting all the bishops who lived in India at that time is flawed.
          > As I have said before, the decision to invite HH Patriarch Abdul
          > Masih II to Malankara must have been taken by the synod comprising
          > Vattasseril thirumeni and Murimattam Mor Paulose Ivanios.
          >
          > There are some other interesting tidbits that I would like to offer
          > MOSC forum members about the Konkani-speaking followers of Alvares
          > thirumeni who are now members of the Indian Orthodox Church. But
          > it's getting late, and I am tired. I will return to it another time.
          > I hope I haven't offended you in any way Abraham.
          >
          > Faithfully
          > Georgy S Thomas
          > Bangalore
          >

          > PS
          >
          > You may require registration (which is free) to refer EPW online.
          > While you are at it, you may be interested in looking at an article
          > of mine which was published in EPW sometime back. No, it's not
          about
          > our church conflict. It's economics. I think it interests you:
          > http://www.epw.org.in/showArticles.php?
          > root=2004&leaf=10&filename=7803&filetype=html

        • manojcgeorge
          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 6, 2006
            Dear Ronnie,

            Murimattathil thirumeni was very much part of the association meeting
            which elected the two new bishops. It was only later when the idea of
            establishing the catholicate and the post of the catholicose was
            offered to him did Murimattathil thirumeni switch sides. He was a part
            of the association convened by the Patriarch which elected the new
            bishops. At that time Vattasseril thirumeni was alone.

            Rgds
            Manoj
          • dhinuus
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 6, 2006
              Dear Brother Ronnie,
              I usually dont take sides in Church Politics. But if you say St.
              Athanasious of Aluva (Aluva Valiya Thirumeni) who I consider as a
              patron saint of mine was ordained thru the back door I cannot sit
              still.

              I have clarified earlier, Aluva Valiya Thirumeni, Mar Athanasious and
              Mar Severious were duly elected and ordianed as Metropolitans. Even
              Murmattathil Thirumeni (who later became Catholicose)cooperated with
              this.

              I know my few words is not going to change anyones heart on either
              side.

              Instead of sinning futher, by arguing about futile Church politics. I
              had taken a pledge earlier not to do that, however violated it. I
              rest my case. You are free to assume what ever you like..

              Forgive me a sinner,if you feel I was trying to confuse you. Also
              please pray for me so that the Lord will have mercy on me.

              Mathew G M

              --- In
              MalankaraOrthodoxSyrianChristian@yahoogroups.com, "ronniedaniel1953"
              <ronniedaniel@...> wrote:

              > Dear Mathew
              >
              > Be reasonable brother. Why you wanted to confuse others.
              > There is no grey area. Let me put this story straight again.
              >
              > In the undivided Malankara Church when HH Patriarch Abdullah II
              > arrived in Malankara for the second
              > time in end-1909 there were three bishops.
              > They were :
              >
              > Malankara Metropolitan Vattasseril Mor Geevarghese
              > Dionysius VI, Murimattam Mor Paulose Ivanios, Kochuparambil Mor
              > Koorilos Paulose.
              >
              > A rift between the visiting patriarch and Vattasseril thirumeni soon
              > came into public view. The Patriarch soon consecrated two more
              > bishops in 1910 Mor Athanasius Paulose and Mor Severios
              > Gheevarghese without the consent of the Synod in Malankara.
              >
              > These two and one Bishop from the Original undivided Malankara
              Synod
              > formed a new Synod.
              >
              > That means the undivided orginal Malankara Synod has now Two
              > Metropolitans. Both of them unainamously decided to establish the
              > catholicate in Malankara. Where is the grey area in this ???
              >
              > rgds
              > ronnie

            • ronniedaniel1953
              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 6, 2006
                Thank you Manoj.
                My point is that it was not the united Synod of 5 Bishops which decided
                to establish the Catholicate.
                It was the original pre-split synod of three who decided.
                Why would the Supreme court of India approve the installation if there
                was a procedural non-compliance.

                Rgds
                Ronnie
              • Biju Skaria
                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 6, 2006
                  Dear Mike, Sometime back when I pointed out that no SOC person will attend a JSC service except the clergy , you tried to fake it. But see what happened here. Didnt JSC ppl have some issue with SOC. Sometime back you mentioned you are one happy unit. Unfortunately it is not so. White is white , brown is brown, black is black. JSC peope are spineless who opt for a Patriarch. They should learn to live with honor and dignity.

                  Ahh no one can impose a priest anymore, cos Syrian intelligence is monitoring all and CIA wont allow that on US territory. We have to be silly when dealing with silly people ......

                  Yrs in His service
                  Biju Skaria
                • Thomas Varghese
                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 6, 2006
                    Dear all

                    I think when we discusses the synod majority two things were to be
                    considered
                    1.Whether H.G Alwaris mor Julios can be considered as a member of
                    Synod? What about Patriarchal delegate Whether he is a member of
                    malankara Synod

                    2. Who all are the members who supported H.G Vattaseril thirumeni?

                    1.I think H.G Alwaris mor Julios can be considered as a member of
                    Synod as Greater india diocese is under malankara always (even today
                    in JSC-SOC arrangement it is like that),. But Patrarchal delegate is
                    not a part of Malankara . (It is not malayalee or non malayalee to
                    be considered ,It should be the Bishop's Juridsiction)

                    2. When H.G Vattaseril thirumeni was excommunicated (?) by H.H
                    patriarch. H.G Murimattathil thirumeni and H.G Alwaris mor Julios
                    together written a letter giving support to H.G Vattaseril thirumeni.
                    In this letter each points raised by H.H Patrarch were discussed and
                    it is pointed out that these are not valid points for
                    excommunication. Also It is pointed out that excommunication was not
                    discussed with them and as they were the only bishops
                    having 'Edavaka' they were the only members of the local Synod and
                    any thing not discussed in the synod is not having any validity (
                    reference - Malankarile katholikkamar by Mr. K.V. mammen)

                    Another Most important thing is that two bishops who were
                    consecrated on 1910 were given the consecration only when agreements
                    in favour of H.H Patriach were signed by them.By that time already
                    division was present inclusion of them to count majority in Synod is
                    correct or not is difficult to decide.(One of the Bishop was Mor
                    Severios for Knanaya and as per the present arrangement of JSC-SOC
                    arrangement , Knanaya Bishop is a member of SOC synod and not
                    Malankara Synod.)

                    Another thing to be looked into is that whether a bishop who is not
                    having 'Edavaka'(Diocese) is member of Synod or not.( I am not sure
                    of this point ) This point is important because H.G. Kochuparambil
                    thirumeni who supported H.H Patrarch was not having a diocese.

                    Thanks
                    Thomas varghese
                    Karakkal St.George Orthodox Church
                  • Prof.J.James
                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 6, 2006
                      mantra (MAN-truh) noun

                      1. A sound, word, or phrase that is repeated in prayer and is believed
                      to have mystical powers.

                      2. An often repeated word of phrase that is closely associated with
                      something; a slogan, byword, or a watchword.

                      [From Sanskrit mantra (thought, formula). Ultimately from Indo-European
                      root men- (to think) which is the source of mind, mnemonic, mosaic, music,
                      mentor, money, and mandarin.]

                      "These tips go beyond the 'test early and often' mantra and will improve
                      your IT organization's testing capabilities."
                    • ronniedaniel1953
                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 7, 2006
                        Dear Mathew

                        Elevating a person as a Saint has nothing to do with ordination.
                        Recently the Catholic church elevated one " Upadeshi" as a saint.
                        So, plese keep these two issues seperate.

                        You are saying that the two Bishops Patriarch ordained were duly
                        elected by the Malankara Association. Which association you are
                        talking about. There was/is only one church and one association.
                        That was the association headed by the Malankara Metropolitan Mor
                        Vattesseril thirumeni.
                        Once a person is elected as a President or Prime Minister there are
                        due processes to be completed before he is removed from that
                        position. Untill this is done he is the person in charge and no
                        Metropolitan could be ordained without his approval.

                        For example what is the status of all your Bishops ordained without
                        getting elected in the Malankara Association ?? Same status as of
                        Bishop Yohannan Thirumeni of believers church.

                        Rgds
                        Ronnie
                      • bindusirs
                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 7, 2006
                          Except for the late Baselios Paulose thirumeni, none of the JSC
                          bishops alive as on date are elected by the the Malankara
                          Association. They are all appointed by HH the Patriarch and continue
                          at his mercy as long as he wishes. Ofcourse JSC people will retort by
                          saying that the bishops were elected by their own people etc etc. All
                          that is nothing but propaganda. The last time JSC had a chance to
                          attend The Malankara Association meeting was when the court verdict
                          came out. At that time they boycotted and chose to form a church of
                          their own which is now known as the JSC church. This Slamoosa and all
                          such topics have no value either spiritual or can stand up in the
                          earthly courts as credible.

                          I have great respect for Baselios Paulose thirumeni as he was a
                          scholar and also because he elevated the present Patriarch to the
                          throne. Everyone knows how JSC treated him in oldage and how the
                          present Catholicose snatched office from him.

                          There is nothing wrong with the Orthodox church faith. But here and there some vested elements grabbed the offices and are behaving in such a un-christian manner. The same holds good for those who created Online Groups of the church. I reiterate these groups have nothing of spiritual value to contribute to your well-being. They have been created to promote rift and parrot official lies.

                          I request all MOSC members to stop this thread. It has no spiritual
                          purpose. It is a complete waste of energy and time.

                          Let the faithful decide.

                          Yrs
                          Bindu Scaria, IRS
                          Group Moderator: MOSc Group