Re: Kurian Mathew, Kolenchery

  • ronniedaniel1953
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 2006
      Dear Kurian Mathew my dear brother,

      I read your post just now and you sounds very honest, very much
      different from one of your post I read in one of the forums painting
      everything the Orthodox side did were wrong.
      Your contributions to opening the church is very much appreciated.
      You said that most members in our administration including our two
      Bawas and most of the administration was behind you. Tell me who was
      then against you ???
      Can the Diocesan Bishop himself take a decision without the support
      of the Synod ???
      I doubt there may be other stories behind this whole thing.
      May be if you reply to my questions perhaps we can do a better
      analysis of the situation and I can learn more about it.

      Anway thanks again to your exemplarary service to our Church and my
      apologies if I hurt you in anyway. Your previous messages were
      sounding like you were aligned with Puthencruez association in your
      excitement to open the church.

      By the bye I am in a similar situation as you. Me too was an altar
      deacon and participated in Youth and Church activities and I should
      say 90 % of our southern Bishops visited my home as well.
      I am currently the Secretary of our St. Gregorios Chruch in Toronto.
      Unfortunatley, we including our Bishop and Priest were kicked out of
      the church by a group of Committee memebers who are called Baord of
      Directors. Not becuse of Patriarch/Catholic dispute. But, because of
      Ego problems existed here for the past many decades. I came here in
      2001 and landed in the middle of these troubles.
      We have no church currently and we are conducting the Holy services
      in a rented place. But, I can very gladly say one thing. Looking at
      the unity of the people ( about 200 of them ) attending our current
      service without a Church building - IT IS NOT THE CHUCH BUILDING THAT
      MATTERS. IT IS THE UNITY OF THE FAITHFULL THAT MATTERS TO GOD.
      If you think you can give the kiss of peace honestly to your brother
      in the other faction in the Kolenchery church then you won in your
      mission. If the current opening of your church leads into another set
      of fights sooner or later, I can very well tell you that your this
      efforts did not serve any purpose other than temporarily controlling
      this cancer. This is a cancer of indiscipline and we have to deal
      with it once and for all and I am confident that our Holy Didymos
      Bawa is capable of doing exactly the same.
      I would humbly request your sincere help to our Holy Bawa to guide us
      through this period of turbulance in our history. I am confident that
      our Bawa will not allow the systemic problem to override our
      cherished christian values.

      Thanks once again
      Rgds
      Ronnie
    • ronniedaniel1953
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 5, 2006
        Dear Mr. Kurian Mathew,

        After writing the email to you yesterday I had the opportunity to
        visit the website of the Joint Council you mentioned. That too is run
        by a Kurian Mathew. However, the articles and explanations on that
        site is entirely of different taste.
        If that site owner Kurian Mathew and the Kurian Mathew who wrote the
        email to us yesterday are the same person, then he has certainly a
        problem with an identity crisis.
        Kurian Mathew's yesterdays email talks very sweet about the
        leadership of the Orthodox church and the only problem was the
        Diocesan Bishop.
        But, the Kurian Mathew who is the promoter of that website badmouth
        all Orthodox leadership as southerners and says they have no place in
        the north.
        The quality shown in yesterdays email post is not appearing in the
        language on the website.

        Also, that website selectively answers some 52 questions raised by
        the Dioceasan Secretary achen. All questions favorable to the
        Jacobite side were answered and all questions favorable to the
        Orthodox side were not answered. I will come back with a summary of
        the questions not answered.
        In nutshell, the website doesn't show it as a Joint council and in
        fact it shows it as a Patriarch Council.

        One statement on the website says that "Kolenchery church, in its
        history of the last 100 years, was under the administration
        of Orthodox Metropolitan for 14 years, 1958-1972; a period
        when the whole of church enjoyed the fruits of church
        unification."

        From what I read about your church; following is the history of your
        church in the last 100 years. During all these times the Church was
        administered by Bishops appointed by the Catholicose of the East
        chosen by the Malankara Syrian Christian Association. There were
        times when the church remain closed or Bishops were not allowed entry
        in varioius litigations; but at no point of time an outside
        organisation other than the Catholicose of the East exercised control
        over the church. Episcopal churches are usually administered by a
        Heirarchy and a Bishop. Can you advise us who was the chosen Bishop
        of the Kolenchery church for all years other than the 14 years.

        This is what the history says and details are below:
        1900 to 1912 - MUrimattahtil Bawa ( 12 Years)
        1912 to 1943 - Priests appointed by Murimatathil Bawa
        1943 to 1964 - Mor Augen Theimetheos ( 21 years )
        1964 to 1975 - Mor Poulse Philiexinos till he revolted against the
        Catholicose. ( 11 years )
        1975 to 1976 - Catholicose of the East ( 1 year )
        1976 to 1991 - Joseph Mor Pachomius ( 15 yrs )
        1991 till date - Dr. Mathews Mor Severios

        I would suggest that you give a reply to the timeline given below .

        1877 to 1912 Murimattathil Bawa adminsiterd this church on behalf of
        Malankara as Diocesan Bishop and later Catholicose residing in
        Kolenchery Church.
        1912 – Murimattathil Bawa left the church as people created problems.
        1913 – 1942 – Looks like the church remained closed, still the
        priests appointed by Murimattathil Bawa in control.
        1943 Very Rev Thenumkal Geevarghese Malpan and Fr. Geevarghese of
        Murimattom, both being the parish priests of the Kolenchery church
        received special order from the Government and opened the church. And
        thenceforth under the administration of Augen Mar Thimothios worship
        was conducted uninterruptedly in the Kolenchery church.

        1943 a great reception was given to His Holiness Baselios Geevarghese
        II and Augen Mar Thimothios Metropolitan of Kandanad Diocese in the
        Kolencherry
        Church.

        8th March, 1959 the parish assembly of the Kolenchery church was
        summoned. Mar Augen Thimothios, the Metropolitan of the
        Kandanad Diocese and Paulose Mar Philoxinos the co-Metropolitan of
        the Diocese
        were present in it. And it resolved that the Kolenchery St.Peter's
        and St.
        Paul's church should be administered according to the 1934
        constitution of the
        Malankara Orthodox church. Accordingly Shri K.V Thomas was elected as
        the
        Treasurer of the Kolenchery church.

        28th January 1961, Mar Augen Thimothios laid the foundation stone for
        the
        re-construction of the present Kolenchery church. Mar Paulose
        Philoxinos did not
        participate in it because he was leading with an " Antiochean
        Movement" against
        the Malankara Church.

        29th January 1963 the reconstructed church was consecrated by H.H
        Baselios
        Geevarghese II Catholicose assisted by all the Metropolitans, except
        Mor Paulose
        Philoxenos, of the Malankara church.

        1964 when Mor Augen Thimotheos was installed as Catholicos Baselios
        Augen
        I, Mor Paulos Philoxenos returned to the Church and became
        Metropolitan of
        Diocese of Kandanad including the Kolencherry Church.
        15th May 1965 Mor Philipose Theophilos,Mor Yuhanon Severios and Mor
        Thomas
        Thimotheos were consecrated bishops by the Episcopal Synod of the
        Malankara
        Church presided by the Catholicos H.H.Baselios Augen I in Kolencherry
        under the
        auspices of the Kolencherry Church.

        September 1967, Fr. O.I. Paulose was appointed vicar by Mar
        Philexinos Paulose.

        1970, Fr. M.V. Abraham was appointed priest by Mar Philexinos.

        1973, Fr. John Kalapurackal was appointed Vicar by Mar
        Philexinos.

        1975 Mor Paulos Philoxenos revolted against the Catholicos and
        Catholicos Mathews I assumed the
        charge of the Diocese of Kandanad, according to the constitution of
        the Church.
        1975 - Instead of Fr. John Kalapurackal H.H.Baselios Marthoma Mathews
        l Catholicos
        appointed Rev Fr.O.I.Paulose as the vicar of the church and the Civil
        Court
        recognized it.

        1976 Joseph Mor Pachomius assumed the charge of the Diocese of
        Kandanad.

        1980, 6 persons from the patriarch side filed a petition (OS 19/80)
        against 24 persons of the catholicate side, demanding the prohibition
        of the then existed Managing committee.

        12th July, 1984,on the day of the Annual Feast (Perunal) Fr. John
        Vallikattil of the Patriarch side conducted a `Fasting Strike' in
        front of the `
        Madbaha ` of Kolencherry church. He demanded to be appointed as a
        priest in the
        Kolencherry Church.

        1984 people of the Catholicos side pursued the case through an IA
        petition and the Civil Court appointed a Receiver for the
        Administration of the
        temporal matters of the Church. Worship was continued under the
        leadership of
        three priests.

        1987, Fr. John Kalapurackal of the patriarch side died and in his
        place
        Fr. Zechariah Ichikkottil from the patriarch side was appointed
        through another
        sanction of an IA petition as a temporary priest by the Civil court
        on 10-4-1987
        till the verdict of the case.

        19th August 1991 Dr. Mathews Mor Severios was appointed as the
        Metropolitan of the Diocese
        of Kandanad.

        Feb. 1997, the suit O.S.19/80 in 1st Additional District Court was
        finally disposed with the Verdict issued as " Since the suit is
        dismissed his
        (receiver) appointment is terminated and he will hand over the charge
        within 2
        weeks to the previous managing committee".

        10-03-97. Following this verdict, the ruling group including 11
        members of the
        previous managing committee along with the permanent priests of the
        church,
        Fr.O.I. Paulose and Co-Vicar Fr. M.V Abraham assumed charge on Since
        Ichikottil Fr. Zechariah of the patriarch side was a temporary priest
        appointed
        by the court, he lost the possibility of continuance.
        14-03-1997 two of the committee members Shri
        Cheria Pathrose and K.S.Varghese sworn allegiance allegiance to
        the 1934 constitution before the Diocesan
        Metropolitan, Mathews Mar Severios through an affidavit.
        14 –03-1997, Fr. Zechariah Ichikottil wrote an affidavit
        to Mathews Mar Severios Metropolitan and was appointed as Co-Vicar of
        the Kolencherry church.

        14-4-1997 - Fr. Zechariah and K.S.Varghese organized "Antiochian
        faith defense forum" meetings and created problems at Kolencherry
        offending the
        Diocesan Metropolitan as well as the 1934 Constitution. The
        Metropolitan then
        asked for explanation. Against this, Fr. Zechariah Ichikottil filed a
        suit at Munsif Court,
        Perumbavoor against Metropolitan Mathews Mar Severios (O.S 340/97)

        31st March, 1998 the Munsif court issued a verdict favoring the
        Metropolitan which reads" The 1st defendant (Mathews Mar Severios
        Metropolitan)has got every right to take action against their priests
        and
        vicars…………They want to maintain discipline in the church and proper
        administration in accordance with the constitution(1934)".
        1-04-1998 Fr, Zechariah
        Ichikottil was transferred to Manakunnam Mar Augen church from the
        Kolencherry
        church. Instead of him Fr. John Thenumkal was appointed as Co-Vicar in
        Kolencherry church. Thus Fr. O.I. Paulose as Vicar and Fr. M.V.
        Abraham and Fr. John Thenumkal
        as Co-Vicars, continued their services in the Church.

        18th April 1998 the District authorities interfered and closed the
        church
        due to the influence of the patriarch side. District authorities
        demanded the key of the church. Vicar did not handed
        over the key to the civil authorities. The Civil authorities broke
        the lock of
        the church and again locked with a new lock and handed over the key
        to the
        representatives of the committee.

        17-6-1998 The above act of the District authorities actions were
        questioned in the High Court
        and through the Court's direction they have handed over the key back
        to the
        Vicar Fr. O.I. Paulose.
        21st December 1998 In the prohibition order of against Fr. Zechariah
        Ichikottil, it is recorded as follows " It follows that the plaint
        church is to
        be administered under the provision of the said constitution (1934).
        The plaint
        church (Kolencherry St. Peter's and St. Paul's church) is a parish
        under
        Kandanad Diocese. It cannot be disputed that Dr. Mathews Mar Severios
        is the
        Metropolitan of the Diocese and the contention of the dependant
        challenging the
        authority of Dr. Mathews Mar Severios has no merit". (1st Additional
        District
        Court, 21st December, 1998. IA 1569 in O.S 31/98)

        10th January 2000 Vicar Fr. O.I. Paulose died. In his place Fr. M.V.
        Abraham was appointed as Vicar and Fr. C.M. Kuriakose was appointed
        as Co- Vicar
        together with the other Co-Vicar Fr John Thenungal by the Diocesan
        Metropolitan
        Mathews Mar Severios.

        23-03-20000 High Court rejected the appeal questioning this Verdict
        of the District,
        court and ratified the prohibition order to Fr Zachariah
        Ichikkottil.
        12-07-2000 Supreme Court further rejected the appeal and ratified
        the decisions of the District Court and of
        the High Court.

        July 2004 – The Holy Synod in Malankara held that the stand taken by
        the Church in 1974 when new cases began, should be the stand of the
        Church
        for all times. Malankara church is `One' and it cannot share or
        divide its
        churches or institutions with somebody else
        10-07-2005, Muvattupuzha R.D.O unjustly braked the lock of the closed
        church and opened it. And on 12-07-2005,he gave permission to
        the patriarchal sympathizers to enter the church and they conducted
        their
        worship from 6.00AM till 9 AM. This is a challenge to the Law and
        order and
        irreverence to the Supreme Court verdict.
      • ronniedaniel1953
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 10, 2006
          Dear Bindu,

          Did you hear from our brother Kurian Mathew from Kolenchery. He has
          promised that he will give us answers to the qustions we have raised.

          More solid evidences are posted in another forum contradicting all what
          Kurian Mathew told us. I have asked permission of the priest who
          brought up the new facts to reprduce his email here for the benefit of
          readers of this forum.

          Rgds
          Ronnie
        • moscelder
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 12, 2006
            Dear Ronnie,
            Bindu & I have not heard anything from him. Maybe its all just
            propaganda. Kolenchery issue is purely a Jacobite grievance case. All
            sympathies with those who have no church. No sympathy for those who
            are making mischief, whether JSC or MOSC.

            Yrs
            Itoop

            --- In
            MalankaraOrthodoxSyrianChristian@yahoogroups.com, "ronniedaniel1953"