Re: Philip's new theory

  • ronniedaniel1953
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
      Well, Mathew you have sufficient knowledge to raise issues which are
      factional in nature. ROCK issue is one of them.
      You have one name Mathew G.M. I am sure your parents call you by
      another loving name... not Mathew.
      Same is the case with Rock, Grass and Wood.

      Now about building the church on Rock, I can talk pages and pages
      about it. However, I agree that Simon Peter was the leader of the
      Apostles as the Holy spirit first revealed to him the truth about
      who Jesus was. But, that doesn't mean that he is the only Rock on
      which the church is built. He is one of the Rock or Pillars of
      Church. It is built on another 11 Rocks as well. In the new
      testament we see that St. Paul was a much larger Rock than St. Peter.

      Or let us agree that there is only one Rock. How come there are
      dozens of different churches built on the same rock ?? Especially
      when we say in the Nicean creed that there is only ONE church which
      is Catholic and Apostolic.
      We will disucss in detail at another time.

      Rgds
      Ronnie

      --- In MalankaraOrthodoxSyrianChristian@yahoogroups.com, "dhinuus"
      <dhinuus@y...> wrote:

      > Did apostles change name? NO. Peter was just Peter until death on
      earth.

      > Dear Sir,
      >
      > My knowledge of the Bible is not extensive. I have only read it
      cover
      > to cover two times. So I will be first one to confess my
      ignorance.
      > But here is my understanding...
      >
      > Peter's original name was Simon. Peter or Khepha (in Syriac) means
      > ROCK. He is not know by his origina name Simon but by the name
      Peter
      > or Khepha after our Lord told him that he will build his church on
      > that Rock.
      >

      > Is this not right ?
      >
      > In Christ,
      > Mathew G M

    • Philip Oommen
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
        Dear Moderator/Mathew G M
        Jesus called the name Peter for Simon, when he was called for ministry.One can easily remember it. Any Child can remember. Your child will say names of 12 disciples in one minute. But can he say the names of our 25 bishops without reference.No way!.Why this complication in names?
        Why should our priest's name change when he becomes bishop? If priest's name is Thomas, call him Bishop Thomas.Make everything simple to say and understand. I am sure Thomas Sleeha did not change his name in India. We say we are St.Thomas Christians. Why does a Kerala village boy has to change names 4 times (at the time of baptism, ordination as priest,ordination as Ramban,Ordination as Bishop) by the time he becomes a bishop. Does God command clergy to take such hard to remeber names. Church leaders command poor laymen to remember their names in all their prayers.

        Sincerely
        Philip

        -----------------
        The only forum for all Christians to express their views freely.
      • Kiran George
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
          Hi Philip,

          Even if it is hard to remember ,ppl do remember these
          names.
          Isn't that wonderful.
        • dhinuus
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 3, 2006
            Dear Ronnie,
            Please don't read between my lines. Mr Philip asked if the apostles
            ever changed their names and I just gave an example which I knew,
            where Simon changed his name to Peter or Kepha.

            I was not talking about any Thrones or Crowns be it in Antioch or in
            Devalokam.

            Please forgive me if I have offended anyone or brought up anything
            controversial. Atleast that was not my intention.

            In Christ,
            Mathew G M