Bread Pudding with Vanilla Custard

  • Sherin George
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
      1 qt. milk
      6 eggs, beaten
      6 oz. sugar
      3 egg yolks
      1 tsp. vanilla sugar
      1 tsp. cinnamon powder

      Combine all ingredients and mix well.

      Bread

      1 1/2 lb. leftover bread
      3 oz. melted butter
      4 oz. raisins
      1 pinch lemon zest

      Cut bread in cubes, drizzle with melted butter and toast in the oven,
      no color.

      Combine custard, bread, raisins, and lemon zest. Fill a buttered mold
      or custard cups and bake in a water bath in a 325�F oven for 45
      minutes or until custard is set.
      Note: For best results, mix bread and custard together and let sit in
      refrigerator overnight before baking.

      Vanilla Custard Sauce

      2 eggs, separated
      1/2 C. sugar
      1/2 C. half and half
      1 T. flour
      1 T. vanilla extract, or to taste

      In the top pan of a double boiler, combine egg yolks, sugar, milk,
      flour and vanilla. Whisk to blend, then place over gently boiling
      water and cook, stirring until mixture is thickened and coats the back
      of a spoon. Serve over bread pudding.

      SHERIN
    • alice john
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
        Dear Philip,

        Speaking in tongue, the only weapon of the H.Spirit, is a pop cultural syndrome of oil wealth of the apocalyptic times. " And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light...Their end will corresponds to their deeds- 2.Cor.11: 14-15; Mt.7: 20-27. If you wnat to commit spiritual suicide, why should you try to coax others into yor net, just as several internets( 48 from my memory) advertising for companions for group suicides. Don't mislead the believers. Examine yourself whether you are prompted by Satan that is roming around like a lion to gulp the believers of the apocalyptic times.

        E.S.John, Australia
      • Abba Brown
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 6, 2005
          Dear Ones,

          The church whose congregation awaits not, the 2nd coming is a dead church. For the fathers have departed in peace and abide in His presence , while the living deny the presence of God in their daily lives. You say : how do we deny ? Dont we not attend church on all Friday and Sundays , Do we not interceed in the names of Virgin and the saints. I tell you , "they your fathers and saints; they themselves will accuse you in front of Christ."

          Cursed is the one who lives as if Christ will never come again. For this is destruction. And if you believed in the Kingdom to come, you would not hesitate to discipline the church. Like the 5 foolish virgins , some church members are going to go to perdition. In such a case their devotion, their faith and their values are not untrue, but found unfit to enter into the kingdom.

          While you beloved wise virgins, hold on to the faith of your fathers , and also keep your eyes open. For in faith you will posess your souls. And the Son of God in whom is your faith , He will supply it as grace, the same will manifest and bear much fruit in your life.

          Abba Brown
        • B C Thomas
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 6, 2005
            Hello Suraj,

            I beg to disagree with your concept of Salvation being available only within the church. Actually it is the other way round. Church is gathering of people who have attained salvation.

            Christ is available to all. Only christ can give salvation. Nowadays many churches ( new churches), dont belive in christ as the source of salvation. While traditional churches behave in a way , which confirms that they know little about Jesus and the slvation he provides.

            Though Im an orthodox from traditional family, i think we are better off when compared to all other churches, But are we good enough in front of God. That question only the 2nd coming of Jesus will answer.

            Thomas
          • suraj_iype
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 7, 2005
              Dear Philip,
              First of all glory to God in the highest.
              Indeed the Holy spirit can act in myraid ways. You say the entire
              church from the 4 century onwards is living in ashes. Why spare the
              4 centuries. Those ordained as the fathers form the 4th century were
              disciples of the early fathers. Christianity for evangelicals
              exists, after the book of acts,only from 1970's onwards. The rest is
              ashes. Did the early church live only by healings , or by talking in
              tongues.read the fathers, Ignatius and Justin martyr, Polycarp and
              iraeneos. All died for Christ, yet they write about, the eucharist
              as the body and blood of Christ, about fasting and about the
              Theokotos and the Saints. Benny Hinn and br. dinakaran believe the
              communion to be a rememberance meal. It is an innovation , a genuine
              novum.All the fathers would have called this a most vile heresy.
              people dont mind calling 24 hr toll free prayer towers for
              intercession, but praying to the saints and martrys and the mother
              of God is a sin.
              One St Gregory of Palamas, was asked about some gnostics who held
              ecstatic, worship sessions, with talking in tongues. He replies, We
              know where the Church is, where she is not we cannot say. Healing
              and talking in tongues are gifts of the holy spirit.Gifts among
              many. Their place is within the Church. Not in opposition to it. The
              RCC nun can indeed have an experience. Because she remains within a
              Apostolic Church. The holy spirit has lived within the Church since
              pentecost. There is no salvation outside of the Church.
              C.Suraj Iype
              Secunderabad

              --- In MalankaraOrthodoxSyrianChristian@yahoogroups.com, alice john
              <john_aliceau@y...> wrote:
              > Dear Philip,
              >
              > Speaking in tongue, the only weapon of the H.Spirit, is a pop
              cultural syndrome of oil wealth of the apocalyptic times. " And no
              wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of
              light...Their end will corresponds to their deeds- 2.Cor.11: 14-15;
              Mt.7: 20-27. If you wnat to commit spiritual suicide, why should you
              try to coax others into yor net, just as several internets( 48 from
              my memory) advertising for companions for group suicides. Don't
              mislead the believers. Examine yourself whether you are prompted by
              Satan that is roming around like a lion to gulp the believers of the
              apocalyptic times.

              > E.S.John, Australia
            • alice john
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 8, 2005
                Dear Thomas,
                "Church is gathering of people who have attained salvation".
                The church is holy because the H.Spirit broods over it; it doesn't mean that whoever is in the church has received salvation. It is only a generalisation that the members of the church are holy because of the presence of the Spirit of God. We have to toil and moil day in and day out for our salvation. Only at the time of the Last Judgement, one can ascertain whether he gets it out of the grace of God, not on our merrits. Your last sentence confirms these statements. For further information, visit the site http://www.lightof life.com and read the articles " The last judgement 2/05 and ' Salvation- towards the end of last year.

                Hello Suraj,

                I beg to disagree with your concept of Salvation being available only within the church. Actually it is the other way round. Church is gathering of people who have attained salvation.

                Christ is available to all. Only christ can give salvation. Nowadays many churches ( new churches), dont belive in christ as the source of salvation. While traditional churches behave in a way , which confirms that they know little about Jesus and the slvation he provides.

                Though Im an orthodox from traditional family, i think we are better off when compared to all other churches, But are we good enough in front of God. That question only the 2nd coming of Jesus will answer.

                Thomas

                The only forum for all Christians to express their views freely.
              • suraj_iype
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 8, 2005
                  Dear Thomas ,

                  Yes I get your point, and I have been made to search long
                  and hard for some answers. I'll try and present my point of view.

                  When it is written that , there is indeed no salvation outside of
                  the church, do we dare to try and limit the grace of God. Is he not
                  able to raise men from stones so that they can give praise to his
                  Holy Name. God will save , those whom he wants. With the
                  Incarnation of our Lord, that desire to save extends to all mankind.
                  The church fully acknowledges the existence of Gods love for
                  everyone, even beyond the Church. Note St Gregory's quote in my last
                  post, he does not judge those outside the Church, he just says what
                  he knows for sure.

                  The identification of the authentic Church was a matter of life and
                  eternal salvation for the Church Fathers. "Whoever is separated from
                  the Church and is joined to an adulteress," declares St Cyprian, "is
                  separated from the promises of the Church, nor will he that forsakes
                  the Church of Christ attain to the rewards of Christ. He is an
                  alien, a worldling, and an enemy. He cannot have God for his Father
                  who has not the Church for his mother." And again: "There is no
                  salvation outside the Church." Neither the Protestant understanding
                  of the invisible Church nor the Anglican understanding of the unity
                  of the fractured Church is to be found in the Fathers. The Church is
                  visibly one, and this unity is embodied in baptism, eucharist, and
                  the eucharistic communion of bishops. Precisely because the Church
                  is the divine society ordained by the risen Christ, precisely
                  because of the profound identification between the risen Christ and
                  his mystical body, salvation can only be found in that rightly
                  ordered community of grace to which the promises of Christ rightly
                  apply. The Church Fathers had a lot of experience with schismatic
                  and heretical sects, and they did not hesitate to declare these
                  sects outside the communion of the Church catholic and thus outside
                  the promises of Christ.
                  (The above quote has been taken from Fr Al Kimels Blog,
                  Pontifications)

                  Todays protestant denominations , declare all the structures of the
                  Holy and Apostolic Church to be invalid. Nothing is sacrosanct.
                  Scripture Alone they say. Yet we know that if we faithfully approach
                  Gods word, in awe and worship, God may have mercy upon us. Isnt that
                  all we desire for. We are exhorted to pray, Lord have mercy upon us.
                  Is God not capable of showing us the courts of heaven. Then what we
                  must ask is the role of the Church in the world. There is one
                  Christ, hence one church. The one body of Christ is offered to us
                  from all the altars. That is the greatest of mysteries. But surely
                  this can happen only when we acknowledge it to be the body of
                  Christ. Protestants differ not only from the Orthodox and Catholic
                  churches in their understanding of the Eucharist but also in the
                  ministry of the Priests. The great body of living and Holy Tradition
                  that is alive within the OO/EO and RC church is unanimous in saying
                  that the promises of Christ cannot rightly apply to such a
                  denomination. I would say that someone could be saved within the
                  Episcopal Church, because God is good and his mercy endures forever,
                  but not because or by virtue of the Episcopal Church as it exists
                  today. Anyone who is actually conforming to the "doctrine,
                  discipline and worship" of the Episcopal Church with a whole heart
                  could be doing real damage to his soul.

                  So the Church readily acknowledges that many elements of
                  sanctification and truth are found outside its visible structure,
                  but these gifts are given to the Church unreservedly because she is
                  the bride of Christ.
                  No nor de we, nor does the priest whose hands raise the blessed
                  sacraments have any righteousness before God. We all fall short
                  before him . But because we are in communion with His church, and to
                  the church to power to bind and release is given ,we can say that
                  the gates of Hell cannot prevail against us. This is manifested,
                  when we who are unworthy, receive Christ into us.
                  In my view, the efficacy of sacraments when they are offered outside
                  the Church is not guaranteed. Those who by the grace of the Holy
                  Spirit, know about the Holy Orthodox and catholic church should then
                  try and enter into full communion with it. This alone is the basis
                  of extra ecclesiam nulla salus(No salvation outside the Church)

                  Hope I am still making some sense .

                  Shlomo
                  C.Suraj Iype