Veggies Fight Cancer and Stroke by Gloria McVeigh

  • Elaine Jose
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 25, 2005
      Two new studies offer reasons to seek out spring's first veggies. One report of 600 women with ovarian cancer found that those with the highest veggie intake were more likely to be alive 5 years after diagnosis. The other study (of 40,000 people) found that almost-daily consumption of green or yellow vegetables reduced stroke risk by 26% over 18 years.

      One early spring arrival is the artichoke. Here's how to cook one:

      1. Trim all petal edges.
      2. Slice off bottom to create a flat base.
      3. Add 1/4 cup water.
      4. Microwave (covered) on high 5 minutes.

      Elaine Jose
      Editor
    • Moscelder
      Message 2 of 18 , May 1, 2005
        Charly V. Padanilam, has responded well. This is the correct and christian way of handling criticism. Good job charly.

        Regards

        Itoop
      • ronniedaniel1953
        Message 3 of 18 , May 1, 2005
          Philip, you ignorant Man, You beleive that observing feast of a
          Saint is blasphemy and this tradition was shoved on us by RCC church.

          Now listen to the following Blasphemy's you have never heared in
          your life :

          1. Jesus's establishment as the Son of God was officialy proposed
          and voted on by members of the Council of Nicaea.

          2. The Bible as we know it today was collated by the pagan Roman
          emperor Constantine the Great.

          3. More than eighty gospels were considered for the New Testament,
          and yet only a relative few wee chosen for inclusion.

          4. In 325 AD, Constantine a good businessman, fused the Pagan
          symbols, dates and rituals in to Christian tradition.

          5. Pictgrams of ISIS the egyption Sun God nursing her miraculously
          concieved Horus became the blue print for our modern images of the
          Virgin Mary nursing Baby Jesus.

          6. Constantine commissioned and financed the Bible whcih omitted
          those gospels that spoke of Christs human traits. Anyone who chose
          the forbidden gospels were deemed heretic.

          7. Sun-day was the religius holiday of the Egyptions worshipping
          their Sun God.

          There are more and severe blaspehemies. Read " THE DA VINCI CODE "
          BY DAN BROWN, if you need to know more about these type of
          blasphemies.

          My point Philip is that " EITHER YOU BELEIVE THEM ALL, OR YOU
          BELEIVE NONE " . YOU CANNOT PICK AND CHOOSE ONE BLASPHEMY OVER THE
          OTHER.

          YOU ARE SAYING THE INTERCESSION OF SAINTS PASSED ON TO US BY
          TRADITION IS BLASPHEMY. WHAT ABOUT THE THE HUNDREDS OF OTHER
          BLASPHEMIES.

          I have earlier told you that dont pick on certian verses from the
          bible and extrapolate it to suite your ideas. Take the Bible as a
          whole and beleive in the teaching of our departed Holy fathers
          rather than depending on your wisdom. The Hly Bible is beoynd the
          imagiantion and interpretation of a Human mind.

          As I said earlier, Bible is the instruction manaul to run a human
          being created by God. Our depated Hly fathers interpreted it to us
          properly and we have to just follow it. Thats all we need to do.
          Return to your senses Philip.

          Ronnie Daniel
          Toronto
          Canada

          --- In MalankaraOrthodoxSyrianChristian@yahoogroups.com, Philip
          Oommen <philipoommen@y...> wrote:
          > Dear Brothers & Sisters
          >
          > Traditional church denominations conduct several tests on passed
          away saints to make sure their souls are in the paradise and they do
          miracles for the living people. This is based on the ancient Greek
          Philosophy that souls can't enter paradise directly and hang around
          for several years. This is to cheat people to get money. It is
          against teaching of Jesus and apostles.

          > RCC has already started product test on Pope John's soul. Test
          committee is monitoring wonders and miracles happening in the name
          of popes's soul. If nothing happens, they start selling relics(holy
          hair, Holy clothes etc) for huge amounts. Poor ignorant Christians
          fall prey to these cheatings.

          > Does it happen in Malanakara the land of ancient Christians. YES.
          Every week about 15 lakhs traditional Christians eat flesh of Jesus
          and drink His blood (Holy Qurbana). Still they don't know that Jesus
          lives in their blood and flesh and bones. They want intercession of
          passed away saints through their holy clothes, holy hair and holy
          bones kept in the caskets. How sad the spiritual conditions of
          traditional Malanakara Christians. Myth imported from Babylon kills
          Jesus in the poor Malanakara Christians. So tehy fight each other
          blaspheming the name of Jesus among gentiles.
          > This week, Malankara traditional Christians started crying to the
          statues/shrines/photos of St.George to get protection from snakes,
          evil and to get money (no one wants salavation from God). Only God
          knows when and where the saint was born and when and where he was
          buried. RCC declared him as saint centuries ago because he was
          reported to have killed a man-eating- talking dragon. It was a lie
          that RCC fabricated, to cheat poor Christians to get money.Now
          people know that there was no talking dragon in the middle east.
          During past 16 centuries he was elevated to saint hood and stripped
          off of his sainthood several times. Now he is not in the list of RCC
          saints.

          > Dear Malankara believers, next time when some one ask you to come
          and worship passed away saints during Orma Perunal, tell them that
          I can't do it since Jesus lives in me. Holy Spirit is my intercessor
          (Rom 8:16), I must obey God. God is the only sources of all my
          blessing, not saints. HE will not allow me to be bitten by
          snake.God's angels will protect me from all harms (Ps 91:11). Read
          loud Ps 91 to false teachers in high places. Passed away saints
          live in Paradise.God commanded not to talk to souls of passed away
          people. God is sufficient for me. HE can hear me; I can feel him &
          touch Him. Don't allow myth to grow and kill our faith in Jesus

          > May God bless Malankara until His son's second coming.
          >
          > Sincerely
          > Philip

        • cherian_307
          Message 4 of 18 , May 1, 2005
            But one thing sure that people are turning to saints for help than to
            Our lord Jesus Christ.

            Some people dont need Jesus now , for people forgot HIM in times of
            troubles and started callling saints name.

            whatever the arguments are, but i think people mind will start
            deviating from Him.

            May be not all in malankara but people are in to this as i know with
            my limited frame of my mind.

            With love in Christ,

            Deepu
          • ronniedaniel1953
            Message 5 of 18 , May 1, 2005
              Dear Deepu

              I think you got it wrong. People are turning to Saints for
              intercession, not for help. It is God who is helping us. Jesus
              christ while living in his body has accepted the intercession of
              Mother Mary.
              Jesus Christ gave this power to St. Peter and his other disciples.
              Our Holy fathers who died in Christ follows their footsteps and has
              this intercessionary power.

              I understand that our people are frustrated with the established
              churches taking advantage of Sainthood of a certain Holy fathers.
              The established churches behave that way because the ordinary flocks
              like us refuse to pay their tithe to church. So, church found
              another source to meet their running expenses. But, that doesn't
              mean that we should stop intercesion as church is making money out
              of it. That is like throwing the Baby out with the water.

              Philip's Pastors does not face this problem as the Pastor go around
              and collect the 10 % before even the ordinary flock has a chance to
              feed their own children. It is like the taxes from the Govt. on
              ordinary people. Govt. take away tax from salary. That is deduction
              at source. Pastors are same like the Govt. Always Deduction at
              source. And sometime pastor takes moeny in advance too.

              If some one like Mother theresa or Pope John paul lived a Holy
              life , they deserve the honour to be remembered even after their
              departure from their earthly body.

              We pray to God for their souls first in our intercessionary prayers,
              before we seeking their intercession to God on our behalf. Why
              should we pray for their souls if we are equating them to Jesus
              Christ.

              Philip is saying in every email that he is praying for all of us.
              He would not have raised this Saint issue if he truly beelived that
              his prayer is helping us.
              If he got the power to pray for us, a departed or living saint too
              has the power to pray for us.

              rgds
              ronnie

              --- In
              MalankaraOrthodoxSyrianChristian@yahoogroups.com, "cherian_307"
              <cherian_307@y...> wrote:

              > But one thing sure that people are turning to saints for help than
              > Our lord Jesus Christ.
              >
              > Some people dont need Jesus now , for people forgot HIM in times of
              > troubles and started callling saints name.
              >
              > whatever the arguments are, but i think people mind will start
              > deviating from Him.
              >
              > May be not all in malankara but people are in to this as i know
              with
              > my limited frame of my mind.
              >
              > With love in Christ,
              >
              > Deepu
            • Shirley Chacko
              Message 6 of 18 , May 2, 2005
                All my heart this night rejoices
                As I hear far and near sweetest angel voices.
                "Christ is born," their choirs are singing
                Till the air everywhere now with joy is ringing.

                Forth today the Conqueror goeth,
                Who the foe, sin and woe, death and hell, overthroweth.
                God is man, and to deliver; His own dear Son
                Now is one with our blood forever.

                Shall we still dread God's displeasure,
                Who, to save, freely gave His most cherished Treasure?
                To redeem us, He hath given His own Son
                From the throne of His might in heaven.

                He becomes the Lamb that taketh
                Sin away and for aye full atonement maketh.
                For our life His own He tenders;
                And our race, by His grace
                Meet for glory renders.
                .
              • moscelder
                Message 7 of 18 , May 2, 2005
                  Dear Members,

                  Let me speak out once in this matter. I was hospitalised in a serious
                  condition, and medication failed. Post surgery i was developing
                  complications like puss and high fever. I sent out word to the
                  venerable Abba Brown, and this was his reply. Pray to our lord ,
                  invoking his mothers name. She will interceed for you. Till that
                  moment i was not a big believer in this kind of prayers, but my pai
                  was acute , i prayed invoking her name. I was discharged within a
                  couple of days .

                  This incident remains etched to my memory. Ever since I have found
                  God hears prayers when the saints interceed for us.

                  I will not hesitate to say " O virgin St. Mary , O mother of God
                  pray for us sinners , now and at all times , even until the hour of
                  our death.. Amen

                  MOSCELDER

                  <cherian_307@y...> wrote:

                  > But one thing sure that people are turning to saints for help than
                  > Our lord Jesus Christ.
                  >
                  > Some people dont need Jesus now , for people forgot HIM in times of
                  > troubles and started callling saints name.
                  >
                  > whatever the arguments are, but i think people mind will start
                  > deviating from Him.
                  >
                  > May be not all in malankara but people are in to this as i know with
                  > my limited frame of my mind.
                  >
                  > With love in Christ,
                  >
                  > Deepu
                • George Jacob, PhD
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 2, 2005
                    "Who was delivered for our offenses, and was raised again for our
                    justification." ROM 4:25.

                    What does our text mean by saying that Jesus "was raised again for our
                    justification." As I said earlier, sometimes the most common words may
                    lead us astray in understanding the true meaning of Scripture. The word for means "on account of, as the result of." He was not raised that we may become justified, but He was raised because we have been justified by His blood. We are found innocent by His blood.

                    Jesus Christ was delivered up "for" our offenses, or on account of our
                    offenses. He was delivered up to shame and death to take our offenses
                    upon Himself. Because He has been raised up, the penalty has been
                    removed. He was raised again "for" our justification. By His perfect
                    obedience, Jesus could die on account of our sins. God's justice was
                    fully satisfied by Christ's righteousness and atonement. He was raised
                    again on account of our justification. Because we are now justified and
                    the penalty has been satisfied, the Lord brought Him up out of the
                    grave. He was not raised that thereby we may become justified.

                    Jesus did not only die as an individual, but as the substitute for
                    guilty men. Therefore, He did not rise only as an individual, but as
                    the representative of pardoned men, who are now justified and acquitted
                    before the bar of God's justice. They now stand just and righteous
                    before the bar of God's judgment. He was raised from the grave on
                    account of this. Our justification is associated with Christ's
                    resurrection because He was raised "for," or on account of, our
                    justification, while our pardon is because of His passion.

                    Why is our justification associated with His resurrection as well as our
                    pardon associated with His suffering on the cross? There are three
                    aspects of our redemption, which are embodied in Christ's nativity, His
                    Passion, and His resurrection.

                    By reason of the fall, man is alienated from God, and the question is
                    how shall he be set at one with God? If you sound out the word
                    atonement, it says, "At One Ment." He was set forth to make God and man
                    one. The method God decreed was that first, in order to be our
                    substitute His Son must become very man. We could not be set "at one"
                    by the suffering of an animal. Man had sinned and a man must atone.
                    Our substitute had to have a body and soul in which he could suffer.
                    JOH 1:14 tells us, "And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us,
                    (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the
                    Father,) full of grace and truth." The word incarnation means "to take
                    flesh upon Him." He took upon Him flesh and blood; He became a man.
                    Thus the mystery of the incarnation of the Son of God marks the first
                    step in this divine process of restitution.

                    However, the union of the human race with God was only begun and still
                    incomplete while sin remained as a barrier. When the Lord Jesus Christ
                    was conceived in the womb of Mary, it was the first step of His
                    humiliation and condescension. The Holy Son of God was conceived in the
                    womb of a sinful woman and came down amongst sinful man, but sin was
                    still a barrier. Therefore, God and man becoming one in the person of
                    Christ was still not enough to bring God and the human race into oneness
                    because of sin.

                    God, by sending His own Son in the flesh as a sin offering, "condemned
                    sin in the flesh." ROM 8:3 says, "For what the law could not do, in
                    that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the
                    likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin [as an offering for sin],
                    condemned sin in the flesh." When Christ died for us, we died in Him,
                    and at His death "our old man [was] crucified with him, that the body of
                    sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin," ROM
                    6:6. In His crucifixion, sin was crucified.

                    Thus Christ's incarnation and atonement were both needed to complement
                    one another since neither of the two would have been sufficient alone.
                    The atonement was necessary to accomplish the purpose of His
                    incarnation. What would He have gained by becoming man if He had not
                    made the atonement and crucified sin in the flesh?

                    Would Christ's death carry out the completion of our redemption?
                    Christ's human nature ceased at His death, consequently while He was in the tomb he ceased to be man! His flesh was in the grave while He was back in heaven. His resurrection was necessary because His human nature had ceased at His death and His incarnation was no longer complete. He was no longer fully qualified even though the penalty was taken away. How would He deliver us from sin? Through His resurrection!

                    His atonement removed the obstacle to carrying out the restitution for
                    sin, but the remedy had left results, which needed another remedy.
                    Christ's resurrection set its seal to His incarnation and atonement, but also completed the work of both. When He arose from the grave, He was again incarnate. He was again both God and man.

                    The death and resurrection of Christ each had power to produce their own effects and each had their distinct gifts. Christ's death paid the ransom, but the world still lay under the darkness and power of sin. Amen.

                    George Jacob, PhD
                  • cherian_307
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 2, 2005
                      dear brothers and sisters,

                      I have a doubt. Is not all who believes in christ are saints before Him?

                      RCC has declared Mother Teresa as saint only if they find two
                      miracles, But in the sight of God our Lord Jesus, She was already a
                      saint.

                      with love in Christ,

                      deepu
                    • ronniedaniel1953
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 2, 2005
                        Deepu

                        Faith or belief in Christ is just the start or Lesson 1 of
                        Christianity. A book never ends with the first Lesson. Second lesson
                        is Hope. Third lesson in the book is of Love. There are many more
                        Lessons.
                        YOu will write the exam only after completing all these Lessons. Right??

                        So, everyone who just believe in Christ is not a Saint. We need to
                        continuously grow in Christianity and ultimatley pass the exam with
                        distinction. Then you will become a Saint.

                        Now, about Miracle. A Miracle is nothing, but faith and beleif:

                        Mt 17:20 - "Because of your little faith," He told them. "For I assure
                        you: If you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will tell this
                        mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move. Nothing will be
                        impossible for you.

                        Obviously, there are different levels in faith. Forget about Mountains,
                        we cannot even move a molehill. So, you can imagine the amount of
                        faith we all have. We cannot even dream about becoming a Saint ??

                        <cherian_307@y...> wrote:
                        > dear brothers and sisters,
                        >
                        > I have a doubt. Is not all who believes in christ are saints before
                        Him?

                        > RCC has declared Mother Teresa as saint only if they find two
                        > miracles, But in the sight of God our Lord Jesus, She was already a
                        > saint.
                        >
                        > with love in Christ,
                        >
                        > deepu
                      • cherian_307
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 3, 2005
                          I agree with u brother Ronnie and bro.doug brandow, our faith and love
                          are not in comparable with great men of God, for they have led a
                          sacrificial life and we they r the examples to be followed.

                          But one thing i feel sad is what bro. E.s john said that those who do
                          not believe in intercessory prayers have no right to pray and our
                          prayers are in vain.

                          I know what Jesus is for me and He alone can satisfy us. God answers
                          my prayer too and His grace is sufficient for me.

                          For the journey ahead lets be faithful unto Him always and we all
                          whatever small differences between us, will one day see Him face to face.

                          with love in Christ,

                          deepu

                          Dear Ronnie,

                          Tell Philip, Deepu and similar self-made saints that their prayers for
                          us are in
                          vain because God only listens to the prayers of righteous people who
                          do His
                          will- Jn.9: 31; Jas.5: 16; Job.42. The blind leading the blind ends
                          only in
                          havoc.Advise them not to waste their time in prayers. Let them use
                          that time for
                          some charity works that might lead them to the path of righteous people.

                          E.S.John, Australia--- In
                          MalankaraOrthodoxSyrianChristian@yahoogroups.com, "ronniedaniel1953"
                          <ronniedaniel@h...> wrote:
                          > Deepu
                          >
                          > Faith or belief in Christ is just the start or Lesson 1 of
                          > Christianity. A book never ends with the first Lesson. Second lesson
                          > is Hope. Third lesson in the book is of Love. There are many more
                          > Lessons.
                          > YOu will write the exam only after completing all these Lessons. Right??
                          >
                          > So, everyone who just believe in Christ is not a Saint. We need to
                          > continuously grow in Christianity and ultimatley pass the exam with
                          > distinction. Then you will become a Saint.
                          >
                          > Now, about Miracle. A Miracle is nothing, but faith and beleif:
                          >
                          > Mt 17:20 - "Because of your little faith," He told them. "For I assure
                          > you: If you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will tell this
                          > mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move. Nothing will be
                          > impossible for you.
                          >
                          > Obviously, there are different levels in faith. Forget about Mountains,
                          > we cannot even move a molehill. So, you can imagine the amount of
                          > faith we all have. We cannot even dream about becoming a Saint ??
                          >
                          > Ronnie
                          >

                          > --- In MalankaraOrthodoxSyrianChristian@yahoogroups.com, "cherian_307"
                          > <cherian_307@y...> wrote:
                          > > dear brothers and sisters,
                          > >
                          > > I have a doubt. Is not all who believes in christ are saints before
                          > Him?
                          > >
                          > > RCC has declared Mother Teresa as saint only if they find two
                          > > miracles, But in the sight of God our Lord Jesus, She was already a
                          > > saint.
                          > >
                          > > with love in Christ,
                          > >
                          > > deepu
                        • Rahul
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 3, 2005
                            Hi all
                            I was searching in bible regarding saints. Apostle
                            Paul addresses beliveers in various churches as
                            saints.
                            It is unbelivable and I dont know why. But it is true
                            bible calls various common people as saints.

                            Look at the following sections in new testament. Many
                            more maybe there but just quiting few.

                            Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them
                            that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be
                            saints, with all that in every place call upon the
                            name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours

                            (1 Corinthians 1: 1 )

                            Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God,
                            and Timothy our brother, unto the church of God which
                            is at Corinth, with all the saints which are in all
                            Achaia
                            (2 Corinthians 1.1)

                            Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God,
                            to the saints which are at Ephesus, and to the
                            faithful in Christ Jesus
                            (Ephesians 1: 1 )

                            Paul and Timotheus, the servants of Jesus Christ, to
                            all the saints in Christ Jesus which are at Philippi,
                            with the bishops and deacons:

                            (Philippians 1: 1 )

                            Regards
                            Rahul