Quotes

  • Shirley Chacko
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 4 12:07 AM
      "We don't receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves
      after a journey that no one can take us or spare us."
      -- Marcel Proust (1871-1922)

      "As long as man remains an inquiring animal,
      there can never be a complete
      unanimity in our fundamental beliefs.
      The more diverse our paths,
      the greater is likely to be
      the divergence of beliefs."
      -- Sir Arthur Keith (1866-1927)

      "Our ultimate freedom
      is the right and power to decide
      how anybody or anything
      outside of ourselves will effect us."
      -- Steven R. Covey, American author
    • Biju Skaria
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 4 12:40 AM
        Dear Moscelder/Groupelder,

        Im sorry if some of my letters have offended some people. The folly of some people who dont have enough knowledge is quite obvious. So many scholars and thirumenis write, did i object. No!. Only whensome half baked people write, i comment.

        When i see group elder publishing the letters of Reji and Mike ( SOC ), im amazed at his tolerance level. I want to ask one question to samadhanasnehi, please send your comments to other groups also and see if they even allow it to be published.

        Sometime ago i questioned the MGOCSM , USA. They are improving now. Anyway this Group is far better than those useless icon and soc group.

        Love
        Biju
      • Prof.J,James
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 4 6:50 PM
          TODAY'S WORD IS: parvenu (noun)

          Pronounced: PAR-vuh-noo; PAR-vuh-nyoo

          Meaning: a person who has suddenly risen to a higher economic status but
          has not gained social acceptance of others in that class.
        • manojcgeorge
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 5 9:34 AM
            Dear Biju,

            I really could not understand what did Mike write to make you
            respond in such a harsh manner. Is it because he wrote " My
            suggestion is that you remain mindful of your connection to Christ
            first and foremost. When we bow before Him begging His mercy, I
            don't think it will matter whether we've been able to sieze a parish
            property or defend the IOC view on the throne of St. Thomas. These
            political issues are from man, and serve to focus man's attention on
            himself, rather than on God. Keeping the soul focused on God
            inspires humility and obedience. This is the teaching of the Christ
            for us all. That is Orthodoxy ". If there is anything in it which
            has offended you then it is because of your false pride.

            Let me tell about Mike.. Though he is a new Convert, he is more
            Orthodox than any of us and is well versed in the Syriac traditions
            and liturgy. Just do check the online magazine " Shroro " of which
            he is the editor. The link is given below :

            http://www.socdigest.org/

            Coming to Dr. Thottupuram's analysis, it is more of a personal
            analysis than something concrete. To understand the other side of
            the story please do read " Girideepam " authored and written by the
            same Mar Ivanios. Then you will be able to get a balanced view on
            the subject. Dont forget that if Mar Ivanios was power hungry and
            selfish it was something he learnt from his mentor and Guru Mar
            Divannasios. Mar Divannasios in addition to the above qualities was
            also very stubborn which gave birth to the century old problems in
            our Church. Never do judge things based on one sided viewes.

            In Lord's Love
            Manoj
          • Group Elder
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 6 1:15 AM
              Dear Members,

              They have been finally elevated. Our hearty congrats to the beloved bishops.
              H. G. DR.GABRIEL MAR GREGORIOS,
              H.G. DR. ZACHARIAH MAR THEOPHILOS,
              H.G. DR.YOOHANON MAR CHRISOSTOM and
              H.G. AUGEN MAR DIONYSIOS
            • Bindu Skaria, IRS
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 7 12:39 AM
                There are a lot of protestant ideology people here. Who hold the bible as ultimate truth. Everything has to be Bible based, except their own lives. This Bible is being used like the law. Alas , the church existed even before the Bible came into existance.

                Somoene said we worship Bible. Thats wrong! We do not worship the Bible. We do sleeba vannenum , on Good Friday. we orthodox people are called sleeba dasans( later pathrose mar osthathios founded a society by this name). Even the Table on which the Bible is kept, is called EVENGELION TABLE, not Bible Table. Our church gave a new defination for Bible, when it is called Satya Veda Pustakam.

                Many of our church elders are known not to interpret the bible and the only time they comment is when they talk about Evangelion ( 4 gospels), which has the words spoken by Jesus , who is God incarnate. Our church dont even read the prophesy books. Like Revelations , etc. Why?

                There is a lot of Goodness and laws in the Bible , and as my dear brother Biju said, Bible can be read , but Bible Study is bad. Bible is not school ciriculum. You cant study it and interpret. The word of god comes from above, the same tallys with words in the Bible, because essentially, the same God is speaking to man. But this form of Bible study as we nowadays see is purely the fixation of the white man.

                Some portions of the bible which talks of the personal lives of Abraham, Lot, Judah, Jacob, david, Solomon, Hosea, etc are so disgusting that we cannnot interpret them in public.

                I remember our bawa was once asked in court , if he belived in Bible , he said No , I believe, in Jesus.

                Bible is not the sole authority on basis of which a christian lives. As jesus said, Man was not made for the law, but the law for man. So it is with the Bible.

                Then what is the Bible:
                Bible is a collection of interactions between God and man. It shows to us that we not the only ones who are going through tough times , the same has happened to all who trust in God . The Bible shows us that God is in control of our lives despite the ups and down.

                What the Bible says about Jesus:

                Bible says, the word of God is the one who came from heaven and gave life. meaning Jesus is the word of God, not the Bible.

                The bible itself says about Jesus, in him was found nothing wrong and no guile, but can we say same about the Bible? If u look carefully u can find many errors in the Bible.

                Conclusion:
                the orthodox church is good , it advocates bible reading , But if you want to base your lives on the bible, you are decieving yourself.

                Before I conclude my thanks to Hon, group elder & moscelder for their inputs in this final draft.

                Bindu
              • Cherian, Cherry
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 7 2:31 PM
                  Dear Biju,

                  "So stop pandering for MIKE. As i said earlier he is not eleigible to
                  make comments on malankara issue. Let him talk about Big Mac or
                  Dominos."

                  >>Your message is well and clear and taken aboard. But let us not
                  indulge in personal criticism a sample of which is your above
                  statements. Brother Mike is entitled to his views and let us politely
                  agree to disagree. Let tolerance prevail. Also in your previous mail you
                  stated

                  "When i see group elder publishing the letters of Reji and Mike ( SOC ),
                  im amazed at his tolerance level. I want to ask one question to
                  samadhanasnehi, please send your comments to other groups also and see
                  if they even allow it to be published."

                  >>All I can say is that SOC should not be a role model for us. MOSC
                  should have a character of its own. The list policies are clearly stated
                  on the group homepage which states

                  'This forum is meant to exchange views without bias and prejudice. This
                  forum encourages free views & education on Malankara Church and her
                  affairs. You are encouraged to say your mind. Don't be shackled by your
                  thoughts neither get provoked by others view point.'

                  Let us adhere to it in letter and spirit. Forgive me if I sound like a
                  headmaster.

                  Pray for me.

                  + Prayers +

                  Cherian
                • Cherian, Cherry
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 9 7:12 PM
                    Dear Brother Mathew,

                    "However I find your thoughts about the HOLY BIBLE very disturbing.
                    Its not just white man's facny. It is near and dear to every Orthodox
                    Christian too. In an Orthodox Church, it is the Evengelion (HOLY
                    BIBLE) that is kept in the center of the church. We kiss and venerate
                    the Holy Bible. "

                    I believe the criticism was directed at the Protestant fixation with
                    "Bible alone is true" fixation and blindly condemning other aspects of
                    Christology like traditions and customs. An outright denial of Bible may
                    not be what was intended. However I agree that Biju's choice of words
                    were not apt and conveyed a totally different message.

                    + Prayers +

                    Cherian
                  • Saji
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 10 2:54 AM