On Leading Wisely to Bear Edible Fruits

  • john_jacob_email
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 17, 2013

      One of the important subjects for discussion in public discourse, in the secular as well as the religious world, is that of leadership. The assumption that quite often comes attached to the term 'Leader' is that it refers to such people who are better off in some way or the other, from those around them. Thus we have suggestions of competitions / comparisons being made, by even well-known newspapers like the New York Times, of leaders like Barack Obama & Vladimir Putin as regards their interactions on matters of global significance. And who does such suggestions of rivalry help? Not mankind! Maybe extraterrestrial folks, I guess.

      Yet, had the NYT chosen to look at leadership from the perspective of desired outcomes that are beneficial to mankind, then it would have chosen to approach the topic of leadership not from a 'stealing the thunder' perspective, but from a 'collective responsibility to mankind' perspective. As such, when 'Little boys throw stones at fruit-bearing trees', such 'trees' ought not to stop bearing fruits - but instead, spur it further on to bear far more fruits that becomes worth consuming even by the common man.

      Anyway, moving forward the right approach to leadership is best summed up by Pope Francis in one of his sermons delivered lately, the link for which is given below.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NaYaccuBds

      Listening to his speeches, one could easily make out that there is something different in Pope Francis. And for this difference, the best that any Christian could do is to give Glory to the Father in Heaven! With due respects, I must also say that the Russian Patriarch Kirill, etc. (including many undiscovered, or lesser known, leaders) appears to have been a consistently stabilizing force in the world. In fact, I am of the view that India too has been having a moderating presence in the world stage - which probably is only slowly beginning to get its due recognition as of now. In fact, I am of the view that India needs to be more articulate with its views as well. Such developments could help in ensuring progressive outcomes for, say, the Middle East region, and more specially in the case of Iran. Given the current positive momentum being generated on the world scene, it would be an immense loss to global stability should our political masters across the world fail to seize this moment and take the Iranian nuclear crisis to an appropriate closure that is acceptable to key stakeholders. As the Holy Bible says, a strong foundation is needed to build a house so that it doesn't fall; and before building a house one sits down and counts the costs involved.

      The question is - would our political masters worldwide have the wisdom to redouble their efforts constructively, and also keep in mind the costs of failure in resolving such grave issues at the first available opportunity? Time will tell!

      Yours in Christ!

      John Jacob