Gods model

  • bindusirs
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 26, 2013

      Shaping the Next Generation

      "He has told you, O man, what is good;
           and what does the Lord require of you
      but to do justice, and to love kindness,
           and to walk humbly with your God?" Micah 6:8 ESV

      "I will walk with integrity of heart within my house." Psalm 101:2b ESV

      It was an innocent word, expressing anger and frustration - not really a cuss word, but inappropriate coming out of the mouth of my six year old. It was a word that adults use. Where did my child hear it? Of course, she learned it from me. That's when I realized that the word is inappropriate in my conversation, as well. Children learn from their parents and any other adult with whom they come into contact.

      Not only Christians, but all parents have the crucial responsibility of shaping the next generation. And not only parents but all adults are examples that children are observing and imitating.

      The words I use, the television programs I watch, interactions with friends and neighbors, my daily attitude – all of these things represent my character. This is the character that is shaping how my child sees life.
      • Am I secure in the care God has promised? Am I grateful for the blessings I have? Am I continually searching for material objects to improve my circumstances? (Matthew 6:25-34)
      • Do I truly love my neighbors? Do I go out of my way to be kind? What have I done recently, that helped someone else, even when it was not my responsibility? (Luke 10:27-37)
      • Am I forgiving? Do I forgive, even when there is no apparent remorse? (Colossians 4:13)
      • Do I believe that God's word is true? When discussing current affairs, do I search God's word for answers and defer to it even when I don't understand? (Proverbs 30:5, Colossians 2:8)

      Are you a mother, father, grandmother or grandfather? Are you an aunt or uncle? Are you a friend or a neighbor? You have more impact on the future of the next generation than you know.

      Being a constant example and bearing the responsibility for shaping a young life, is a tough road.

      God knows that we are unable to walk the perfect Christian walk. We only have strength through Christ. We need prayer to keep in constant touch with the one who can guide our actions. We will falter. That's when we are able to show humility and honesty by asking for forgiveness and by admitting our mistakes to those children.
      • Begin each day with God's word. What can be learned from it and what changes might God want you to make.
      • Pray for God's guidance and strength in making changes.

      Let's spur one another on toward love and good deeds. (Hebrews 10:23-25) Remember, little eyes are watching.