10246Malankara World Journal Issue 233, Theme: Praying With Persistence

    Aug 22, 2014

      Malankara World Journal Issue 233, Theme: Praying With Persistence (August 22, 2014)

      The Malankara World Journal Issue 233 (August 22, 2014) is available online at:

      Cover Photo: Newly Renovated Morth Mariam Cheriapally, Nenmala, Pampady East, Kottayam Diocese, is celebrating its Centenary this year.

      TABLE OF CONTENTS Issue No: 233
      Theme: Praying With Persistence

      1. Bible Readings for This Sunday (August 24)

      Bible Readings For the 2nd Sunday After Shunoyo

      http://www.Malankaraworld.com/Library/Lectionary/Lec_2nd_sunday-after-shunoyo.htm

      2. Sermons for This Sunday (August 24)

      Sermons for the 2nd Sunday After Shunoyo

      http://www.Malankaraworld.com/Library/Sermons/Sermon-of-the-week_2nd-sunday-after-Shunoyo.htm

      3. Inspiration for Today - You Are Special: The Spice Of Life

      If you want to feel good about life, see yourself as you are - an irreplaceable and necessary spice in the cookie-dough of life!

      And when someone else spices up your experience of life, be sure and thank them. ...

      4. Featured: Three Teachings from the Lord on Prayer

      The teaching that we persist in prayer is something of a mystery. God is not deaf, he is not forgetful, he is not stubborn. But yet, he teaches in many places that we are to persevere, even pester him, in our prayer.

      Why he teaches this cannot be for his sake, it must be for ours. Perhaps he seeks to help us clarify what we really want, perhaps he wants to strengthen our faith, perhaps he wants to instill appreciation in us for the finally answered prayer. What ever it may be there is something of a mystery here as to the exact reason. But persistent prayer is taught and insisted upon by Jesus, here and elsewhere....

      5. Praying With Persistence

      It is not that God is hard of hearing that we are admonished to be persistent in prayer. Rather, it is because God, our heavenly Parent, wants an intimate relationship with each one of us and by giving us the gift of his Holy Spirit we shall come to trust in God as we ask, search and knock; knowing that whatever God gives us by way of answering our prayers; it is all and always for the best. ...

      6. Prayer Opens the Door for God

      When we don't pray, what we're doing is closing the door to the Lord. And not praying is this: closing the door to the Lord, so that He can do nothing. On the other hand, prayer, in the face of a problem, a difficult situation, a calamity, is opening the door to the Lord so that He will come. So that He builds things, He knows to arrange things, to reorganize things. This is what praying is: opening the door to the Lord, so that he can do something. ..

      7. Prayers to Start and End the Day

      Many people benefit from using set prayers for different life circumstances or during different times of the day. An ancient Jewish pattern of prayer is to offer oneself to God as the first thought of the day, and at day's end. Both of these prayers focus on the idea of "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit," which were Jesus' last words on the cross, but also were the words of a common Jewish daily prayer, almost like the modern: "Now I lay me down to sleep..." ...

      8. Prayer Killers

      As I reflect on my prayer time, there are many obstacles to get past before I even get into my closet to pray. Here are four prayer killers and how I've been learning to keep them at bay. ...

      9. Prayer: Back to School Prayers from Psalms & Proverbs

      I ended the summer reading through the Psalms and Proverbs. As I drank in the wisdom of these two books, certain passages in particular have encouraged and directed my hopes for my children as they head back to school. These verses have shaped my prayers and given words to the longings of my heart. As my children spend less time in my presence, I am thankful that I can bring all my concerns and cares before the Lord in prayer. ...

      10. The Power of Family Prayer

      God wants your family to shine like lights in a rapidly darkening and dysfunctional world. He desires each member to have his or her eyes open to realities that others refuse to see. He longs for you to walk with Christ through a larger, more wondrous world than some are capable of imagining. Take the roof off and establish a direct link between your home and the heart of the King of all creation. ...

      11. Health: How Should Christians Respond to Suicide and Depression?

      Alcohol, drugs, depression, all of these are associated with suicide. And as psychiatrist Kay Redfield Jamison of Johns Hopkins writes in her book, "Night Falls Fast: Understanding Suicide," the most common factor in suicide is mental illness, in particular "mood disorders" such as clinical depression and bipolar disorder. ...

      12. ISIS Loots Christian Homes, Vandalizes Churches in Mosul

      Witnesses report that ISIS entered the Cathedral of St. Ephrem in the Shurta neighborhood and destroyed a cross made with red glass; it also hung a huge black flag of the Islamic State on the wall of the building to cover a large cross on the facade of the cathedral. The cathedral is now being used as headquarters for ISIS. ...

      13. All 45 Christian Institutions in Mosul Destroyed or Occupied By ISIS

      Since taking over Mosul on June 10, ISIS has destroyed, occupied, converted to mosques, converted to ISIS headquarters or shuttered all 45 Christian institutions in Mosul. ...

      14. About Malankara World

      Read all the articles and features in this week's Malankara World Journal online at:

      Thank you for your support and help.

      In HIS Service

      http://www.MalankaraWorld.com/

      Malankara World Journal