10216Malankara World Journal Issue 227, (July 11, 2014)

    Jul 12, 2014

      Malankara World Journal Issue 227,  (July 11, 2014)

      The Malankara World Journal Issue 227 (July 11, 2014) is available online at:

      TABLE OF CONTENTS MWJ Issue No: 227

      1. Bible Readings for This Sunday (July 13)

      Bible Readings For the Fifth Sunday After Pentecost
      http://www.MalankaraWorld.com/Library/Library/Lectionary/Lec_5th_sunday-after-pentecost.htm

      2. Sermons for This Sunday (July 13)

      Sermons For the Fifth Sunday After Pentecost
      http://www.MalankaraWorld.com/Library/Library/Sermons/Sermon-of-the-week_5th-sunday-after-Pentecost.htm

      3. Featured: Serving Even When We Feel Exhausted: Revisiting the Miracle of Feeding 5000

      Luke has a different objective (a different slant on the miracle of feeding 5000) that he's trying to convey when he shares the details of this miracle. Same details, but clearly focusing on a different issue!

      Because for Luke the focus isn't on the crowds, or their off-base political aspirations in response to the miracle! In fact, in Luke the miracle itself seems secondary to an even greater concern in Luke's mind:

      The issue of how Jesus' disciples should respond to people when those people invade their quiet space or their needed alone time with God; when they're tired and exhausted and feel they need to get away from people to recharge their physical and spiritual batteries! ....

      4. God Provides, Even When We Can't See It

       While it's easy for us to recognize the hand of God on the right, we fail to see him working on the left. We're grateful for the clarity of his guidance and the comfort of his blessings, but find it difficult to discern his hidden hand during times of discouragement, disappointment, suffering, and trial.

      The Scriptures abound with examples of saints who had the same problem. ...

      5. Our Anchor in the Daily Storm

      What does it take to live a godly life in an ungodly world? The signatures of sin and evil are all around us. There has to be something more that we can do than just white-knuckle our way through temptation.

      Simply put, our anchor is Jesus Christ. He is our only salvation from sin - the anchor of our souls that holds firm (see Hebrews 6:19), especially when the storms of life threaten and the enemy's temptations blow hard against us. ...

      6. Putting the Letters Together: When You Find It Hard to Pray

      Someone clipped a comic strip called "One Big Happy” and left it on my desk. The first panel shows a little girl kneeling by her bed getting ready to say her prayers. It must have been a long day for her because she begins this way: "I’m so very tired tonight that I can’t even remember the words to my prayers.” ...

      7. Be Salt. Be Light. Be Love

      To help us keep Jesus' teaching about salt and light in context, notice that it immediately follows the Beatitudes - and specifically the part where Jesus said 'you are blessed when you are persecuted and insulted and lied about in an evil manner simply because you follow Jesus.' The "you" here is plural. All of us together, suffering together, is a blessing. ...

      8. The Power of Doing Good

      With what certainly appears to be an escalating amount of tragedy and evil in today's world and in our country, it certainly makes one think that the existence of goodness has become more of an exception than the rule. Unfortunately, acts of kindness remain overlooked by the media and rarely, if ever, make the evening news. While we should never seek recognition for our good works, for as Christ says, "when you do alms, let not your left hand know what your right hand does," (Matthew 6:3), we should never underestimate the power of small acts of goodness performed with love. ...

      9. Family Special: What's Wrong (and Right) with Spanking

      Spanking. The act and even the word itself have become controversial. To many it is abuse, not discipline. People claim that it gives birth to frustration, anger, and violence. They say that it does not bring about any good, instead it does harm… and they are right. ...

      10. About Malankara World

      Read all the articles and features in this week's Malankara World Journal online at:

      Thank you for your support and help.

      In HIS Service

      http://www.MalankaraWorld.com/

      Malankara World Journal