10209Malankara World Journal Issue 225, Festival of St. Peter and St. Paul

    Jun 28, 2014

      Malankara World Journal Issue 225, Festival of St. Peter and St. Paul (June 27, 2014)

      The Malankara World Journal Issue 225 (June 27, 2014) is available online at:

      TABLE OF CONTENTS Issue No: 225
      Festival of St. Peter and St. Paul

      1. Foreword

      Everything about Peter was plain and simple - with the exception of his divine mission. As a fisherman, he was not a great hero of world-wide importance, no masterful genius who advanced to great heights. Ancient pictures show Peter with an ordinary man of the street. One wonders why this un-influential man was called to fill such an influential and extraordinary office.

      Undoubtedly this unadorned picture of simplicity has its golden side too. If one pays close attention to this picture of St Peter in the Gospels, he will be completely captivated by the magic of his unfeigned sincerity and cordiality, by his purity of intention. After the miraculous catch of fish, how quickly and willingly he poured out his soul before the Lord, with unconcealed astonishment, with bare humility. ....

      2. Bible Readings for This Sunday (June 29)

      Bible Readings For The Third Sunday After Pentecost
      http://www.MalankaraWorld.com/Library/Lectionary/Lec_3rd_sunday-after-pentecost.htm

      Bible Readings for the Feast of St. Peter and St. Paul (June 29)
      http://www.MalankaraWorld.com/Library/Lectionary/Lec_st-peter-st-paul-feast.htm

      3. Sermons for This Sunday (June 29)

      Sermons For The Third Sunday After Pentecost

      http://www.MalankaraWorld.com/Library/Sermons/Sermon-of-the-week_3rd-sunday-after-Pentecost.htm

      4. Working for God

      Dear Lord, I sometimes see things from a very human and selfish point of view. Sometimes I find myself getting angry because others may have more than I do. Help me understand that the most important thing to be truly happy in my life is to be aware of the need I have of your grace. ...

      5. Featured: Wages and Gifts - Reflection on Matthew 20:1-16

      Jesus' parables are never about church. Not one parable of Jesus is about church. Not one parable is about candles, canticles or choirs. Not one of his parables are about preaching, pews, or processionals. Jesus' parables are from everyday life. They are from the market place, the farm, the family. Well, today's parable is about salaries, wages, and a fair day's pay for a fair day's work. Today's parable is about the pocket book, the billfold, the daily or hourly income. People always get tense, anxious and nervous when you talk about money, salaries, and income. ...

      6. Meditation on Matthew 20:1-16

      So God owns a vineyard and decides to hire people at different points and pay the same wage. In our society that would spell lawsuit. But God works on a different economic model. Where most business transactions in the world are driven by a concern for profit, God's concern is generosity. It doesn't matter when you decided to join the workforce; what matters is that you joined up at all. God is so generous that he would rather have us come late than not show up at all. ...

      7. The Parable of the Vineyard Workers

      What was Jesus trying to teach us in this parable? Some think the point is that we'll all have the same reward in heaven no matter how long or hard we work for the Lord on earth. But that can't be right, because the Bible teaches that each person will be rewarded individually, according to his own labor (see 1Cor 3:8). ...

      8. St. Peter and St. Paul, the Fathers of Great Rome

      Early Christian writers often contrasted Peter and Paul with Rome's founders, Romulus and Remus. According to the ancient Roman myth, Rome was violently established when Romulus killed his brother as they laid the city's walls. In comparison, Peter and Paul built up the civilization of love found in the Church with brotherly affection. The Roman Empire, in nascent form at the time of the twin founders, would rule the world through fear and violence under the shroud of the pax romana. Peter and Paul would set the example for the Church to serve the world through faith and charity under the mantle of the pax Christi. ...

      9. Family Special: Hoping for Home

      All that is mine will one day belong to someone else.

      One simple thought that changes everything. Life slowly passes and then suddenly and swiftly begins to fly by. The items we think we own are simply given to us for the journey. Even our relationships are subject to the changing tides of life. I no longer have chubby cheeked babies to cuddle or diapers to change. Where did they go? ...

      10. Family Special: A Song for Your Heart

      Amidst our imperfections, Christ loves, forgives and still accepts us. This is the good news - the real Gospel of Christianity. I see and feel it in my own life, and the Bible breathes it in nearly every story. Filled with historical figures and thousands of examples - from kings, to peasants - the beauty and message of the Bible is how God works through the lives of imperfect people to fulfill His perfect plan. Over and over we see the story of redemption. Of how men and women from all walks of life are accepted and redeemed by Jesus. ...

      11. Health: The Healing Power Is In The Word

      All the healing power you need is in the word of God. Sometimes people overlook the word and ask God to send the power, but he has already sent it by his word. Let me give you a few examples. ...

      12. Recipe: Peanut Chikki

      13. News: Report on the Situation in North Iraq

      Situation in Northern Iraq compiled from various Sources.

      14. Like Jews Before Them, Iraq's Christians May Face Extinction After Jihadist (ISIS) Invasion

      For most Westerners, Iraq is a foreboding and dangerous place that is filled with extremists and daily violence. Yet as little as 75 years ago Iraq was a vibrant country that was home to many different ethnic and religious minorities, including large Jewish and Christian populations. But the latest round of violence spearheaded by the jihadist terrorist group ISIS, which is driving through the heart of Iraq to the capital of Baghdad and inflicting medieval-style Islamic justice on anyone in its path, might be the last gasp of Iraq's ancient Christian community, which faces extinction like Iraq's Jewish community before it. ...

      15. About Malankara World

      Read all the articles and features in this week's Malankara World Journal online at:

      Thank you for your support and help.

      In HIS Service

      http://www.MalankaraWorld.com/

      Malankara World Journal