10188Malankara World Journal Issue 219, Theme: Road to Emmaus

    May 17, 2014

      Malankara World Journal Issue 219, Theme: Road to Emmaus (May 16, 2014)

      The Malankara World Journal Issue 219 (May 16, 2014) is available online at:

      TABLE OF CONTENTS Issue No: 219
      Theme: Road to Emmaus

      1. Foreword

      The eyes of the disciples on the way to Emmaus opened when they ate the consecrated "bread". It transformed them. Suddenly the joy and peace returned. They had a purpose in life again. They ran back to Jerusalem with full enthusiasm to report their experience to the eleven disciples who were sitting in a locked room afraid of their lives. Yes, the Eucharist transforms us. It opens our eyes; it drives out our fears and sadness; it brings the joy and peace back into our lives. It is a powerful medicine. ...

      2. Bible Readings for This Sunday (May 18)

      Bible Reading for the Third Sunday after New Sunday
      http://www.Malankaraworld.com/Library/Lectionary/Lec_3rd-sunday-after-new-sunday.htm

      3. Sermons for This Sunday (May 18)

      Sermons for the Third Sunday after New Sunday
      http://www.Malankaraworld.com/Library/Sermons/Sermon-of-the-week_3rd-sunday-after-new-sunday.htm

      4. Inspiration for Today: Bury Your Sorrows

      5. Reflection on The Bread of Life

      What did Jesus mean when He said, 'I am the Bread of Life' (John 6:35)?

      6. In the Breaking of the Bread

      Isn't it that very kenosis (emptying) about which Paul in Philippians 2 sang the very thing that got in the way of Cleopas and friend? Isn't that what keeps getting in the way of all of us preachers and teachers today? Isn't that what sends us reeling in our unbelief so that we go looking for comfort in repristination or re-imagining or even retrenchment? It isn't about us! ...

      7. Meditation on Luke 24:35-48

      Imagine the emotional roller coaster that Jesus' followers had been on in the preceding two weeks: exhilaration and anticipation after his triumphal entrance into Jerusalem; confusion at the predictions of his passion and betrayal; fear in the garden of Gethsemane; devastation and disappointment at the foot of the cross; skepticism at the women's story of an empty tomb; fragile hope as their friends said they had seen Jesus. ...

      8. He Walked With Them

      After his resurrection our Lord Jesus met two of his disciples along the way who were talking together about what had happened, and he said to them: "Whatever were you discussing as you walked along to make you so sad?" ...

      9. Poem: Fear and Loathing on the Road to Emmaus

      10. In Our Midst

      They weren't looking for Jesus. They were sure he was lost forever. And then he was there with them… walking and talking, explaining scripture, opening doors to spirituality. He moved with them so easily, so unobtrusively that they did not recognize the risen Savior until he revealed himself in the breaking of the bread. ..

      11. Home to Emmaus

      This has long been one of my favorite pieces of Luke's Gospel. Perhaps that is because I can just picture Cleopas and the other disciple walking with their heads down, trying to make sense of all that had been theirs to see and hear, especially in those last several days. We know nothing more of them, of course. They are not part of the inner circle of Jesus' disciples -- at least we have not heard them named before now. And yet they have been close enough to these astonishing events that they know it all --- right down to the witness of the women at the tomb early that morning. Even so, they have decided not to stay behind closed doors with the others. Apparently they have seen enough and they have decided it's time to go home. ...

      12. Family Special: Appreciating Each Other - Are We Taking Our Spouse for Granted?

      It's easy to become so self-absorbed that we fail to recognize the qualities and gifts of the person who is closest to us in life. In becoming blind to those attributes, however, we miss some great opportunities to build on each other's strengths. ...

      13. About Malankara World

      Read all the articles and features in this week's Malankara World Journal online at:

      Thank you for your support and help.

      In HIS Service

      http://www.MalankaraWorld.com/

      Malankara World Journal