      From: Jacob Mathew
      Date:01/29/2014 5:19 PM (GMT-05:00)
      To: MalankaraOrthodoxSyrianChristian@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [ MOSC ] Malankara World Journal Issue 193, Theme: Mayaltho

      Malankara World Journal Issue 193, Theme: Mayaltho - Presentation of The Lord (Jan 30, 2014)

      The Malankara World Journal Issue 193 (Jan 30, 2014) is available online at:

      TABLE OF CONTENTS Issue No: 193
      Theme: Mayaltho - Presentation of The Lord

      THIS SUNDAY IN CHURCH

      1. Bible Readings for This Sunday (February 2)

      Bible Readings For Ma'altho (Presentation of our Lord at the temple)
      http://www.Malankaraworld.com/Library/Lectionary/Lec_Mayaltho.htm

      2. Sermons for This Sunday (February 2)

      Sermons for Ma'altho
      http://www.Malankaraworld.com/Library/Sermons/Sermon-of-the-week_Mayaltho.htm

      3. Invitation To Submit Material for Two Centum (Issue 200) Mega Special of MWJ

      We invite your creative submissions for this special issue. Articles on various themes, Poetry/Hymns, Articles/Poems by Children and painting/sketches/photos are also welcome.

      In order to meet the editorial deadline, please inform the editor of your intent to submit material by February 12 and the material by February 23. You can contact the editor at mail@...

      THEMATIC ARTICLES: MAYALTHO

      4. Foreword: Mayaltho by Dr. Jacob Mathew

      What is so special about Mayaltho? For starters, it shows that Jesus was brought up strictly in conformance with the Jewish customs, traditions and Mosaic laws. He underwent circumcision after 8-days as required; he went through the dedication/presentation after 40 days; he went through baptism; he also attended the temple/synagogue regularly. Although some people may think that New Testament laws are not applicable after the arrival of Jesus, Jesus made it very clear that he didn't come to change any laws; but to reinforce them. ...

      5. Biblical Reflections on Mayaltho by Rev. Fr. Jose Daniel Paitel

      Mayaltho (Ma'altho) is the third out of the ten obligatory feasts of Holy Universal Syriac Orthodox Church. We celebrate Mayaltho on the 2nd of February that is the fortieth day after Christmas. Special Holy Mass should be observed on that day if it does not fall on a Sunday... The Syriac term Mayaltho refers to the dedication of baby Jesus in the temple of God. According to the scriptures,  Joseph and Mary brought baby Jesus to the temple of God to fulfill the sacrifice of purification. According to the Law of Moses, the firstborn male baby should be dedicated before the temple of God on the fortieth day of his birth....

      6. Presentation of the Lord by St. Ephraem

      Excerpted from "Homily on Our Lord," by St. Ephraem (d. A.D. 373)
      Now Simeon the priest, when he took Him up in his arms to present Him before God, understood as he saw Him that He was not presenting Him, but was being himself presented. For the Son was not presented by the servant to His Father, hut the servant was presented by the Son to his Lord. For it is not possible that He, by Whom every offering is presented, should be presented by another. For the offering does not present him that offers it; but by them that offer are offerings presented. ...

      7. Presentation of Jesus: From a sermon by Saint Sophronius

      The Mother of God, the most pure Virgin, carried the true light in her arms and brought him to those who lay in darkness. We too should carry a light for all to see and reflect the radiance of the true light as we hasten to meet him.

      The light has come and has shone upon a world enveloped in shadows; the Dayspring from on high has visited us and given light to those who lived in darkness. This, then, is our feast, and we join in procession with lighted candles to reveal the light that has shone upon us and the glory that is yet to come to us through him. So let us hasten all together to meet our God. ...

      8. Simeon is Open to The Lord's Action by Pope John Paul II

      The Lucan narrative says nothing of his past or of the service he carried out in the temple; it tells of a deeply religious man who nurtures great desires in his heart and awaits the Messiah, the consolation of Israel. In fact, "the Holy Spirit was upon him" and "it had been revealed to him ... that he should not see death before he had seen the Lord's Christ" (Lk 2:25-26). Simeon invites us to look at the merciful action of God who pours out the Spirit on his faithful to bring to fulfillment his mysterious project of love. ...

      9. A Dramatic Moment That Almost Everyone Missed by Msgr. Charles Pope

      Joseph and Mary have ascended to Jerusalem to fulfill two ancient mandates: the Rite of Purification for a woman after childbirth and the Rite of Presentation of their firstborn male child, Jesus. These rites set the stage for a dramatic moment in Biblical history, a moment missed by almost everyone. We shall explore this dramatic moment shortly but first a little background. ...

      10. The Light that Enlightens Every Man by Jeffrey S. J. Allan

      The exegete, Nicholas of Lyra, suggests that circumcision is how Jesus manifests the reality of His Humanity. He also explains that as God, Jesus instituted circumcision, and therefore undergoing this process Himself, demonstrates His approval of it; and for our Lady and Saint Joseph, this was necessary according to the law which they knew so well. There is a mysterious level of humility here as well: as an Infant, He is incapable of making decisions, but as God He accepts upon Himself a procedure that is unnecessary – in other words, He makes Himself subject to His own law. ...

      11. Story of Anna: Can Hopes Come True At Christmas? by Mark Adams

      Joseph and Mary have just brought Jesus to the temple eight days after His birth to be dedicated and on the way out they are greeted by two senior adults who recognize Jesus as God's Messiah. One of these is Simeon and the other is Anna. ... if we were to ask Anna this question: "Can hopes come true at Christmas?" What would she say? I think she would answer, "Yes they can! But there are two things we must remember." And the first is this. Hopes CAN come true at Christmas if…

      12. Hymn: Canticle of Symeon by Michael Joncas

      A beautiful poetical rendition of St. Luke's Gospel (2:29-32), popularly known as Nunc Dimittis - The Canticle of Simeon.

      13. For More Articles on Mayaltho

      Malankara World Journal Issue 123: Jan 31 2013

      REGULAR COLUMNS

      14. Health: Tips for Indulging Your Taste Buds While on a Diet

      It's hard to stick to a low-calorie diet day after day to lose weight, but new research shows you don't have to, says Dr. Susie Rockway, a veteran nutritional and biochemical expert in the U.S. health industry. ...

      15. Family Special: Replacing My Cravings

      I had to get honest enough to admit it: I relied on food more than I relied on God. I craved food more than I craved God. Food was my comfort. Food was my reward. Food was my joy. Food was what I turned to in times of stress, sadness, and even in times of happiness.

      I knew this battle would be hard. But through it all I determined to make God, rather than food, my focus. Each time I craved something I knew wasn't part of my healthy eating plan, I used that craving as a prompt to pray. I craved a lot. So, I found myself praying a lot. ...

      16. About Malankara World

      Read all the articles and features in this week's Malankara World Journal online at:

      Thank you for your support and help.

      In HIS Service

      http://www.MalankaraWorld.com/

      Malankara World Journal