29-HTT Improvisation

  • George D. Secor
    Message 1 of 59 , Jun 16 7:48 AM
      --- In MakeMicroMusic@yahoogroups.com, "George D. Secor"
      <gdsecor@y...> wrote:

      > If anyone is interested in a *very* economical (29-tone), low-error
      > 13-limit tuning, a Scala listing for c. is given here:

      > Go about halfway thru the message to "secor29htt.scl". This tuning
      > gives near-just 15-limit otonalities on each tone in a chain of
      > fifths from Bb to A. Some of the 15-limit consonances are exact
      > (5/4, 7/4, 7/5, and 13/9), and 11/9 and 13/11 are so close (~0.05c)
      > that you'll never be able to hear that they're not exact.
      >
      > I hesitate to call a this a temperament, because it has *very* low
      > error at the 7-limit, which makes it extremely difficult to tell
      that
      > it is, strictly speaking, a temperament. To approximate the 15-
      limit
      > consonances in its 6 best keys with an ET more accurately, you have
      > to go over 100 tones (to 130-ET). If you want to try it in Scala,
      > then I strongly recommend reading the top part of the message for
      > advice on how to set the notation for this tuning.
      >
      > Better yet, maybe I should make available an mp3 file of a
      recording
      > of a live performance I gave in San Diego in 1975, an improvisation
      > on the Scalatron in 29-HTT. Then you can all judge for yourselves
      > whether it sounds like JI or a temperament. (I should add that it
      > wasn't hard to come up with Scaltron timbres that are highly
      > effective in revealing the subtle differences between tunings.)

      Here's the file, as promised:

      I'll leave it there for only a few days, since there is not much
      space.

      I had been working with the Scalatron only for a few months when I
      did this, so I didn't have years of experience playing the
      generalized keyboard. Also, I had devised the tuning only about 6
      months before and was only beginning to figure out how to use its
      resources. So this is not a polished performance by a seasoned
      composer -- just the best I could do at the time to present an
      example of 15-limit harmony in a live performance on a polyphonic
      synthesizer at a time when Ben Johnston was writing 5-limit JI and
      hardly anyone was performing live with a polyphonic synthesizer in 12-
      ET.

      The concert, sponsored by the Motorola Scalatron Company, was given
      in San Diego in November 1975 at the convention of the National
      Association of Schools of Music (NASM). Half of it consisted of
      pieces which I performed on the Scalatron, both solo and as
      accompanist for soprano Barbara Dalheim, who sang several pieces by
      Ben Johnston (who was also present). The other half was performed by
      the Partch Ensemble, directed by Danlee Mitchell. Need I say that
      not a single piece was in 12-ET?

      --- In MakeMicroMusic@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Lumma" <ekin@l...> wrote:

      > >> If you need assistance in getting an
      > >> MP3 of that online, let me know.
      > >Now as far as finding a *place* to put those files goes, I
      > >haven't given that much thought, since I am already much too
      > >busy even to think about maintaining a website. I suppose I
      > >could use the files section for this group if I left them
      > >there for no more than a couple of weeks.
      >
      > I'm happy to host 'em, or try SoundClick.

      Thanks, Carl. I think that this file would be mostly of historical
      interest, so if you want to put this on your website (with some of
      the preceding paragraphs as program notes), you're welcome to do so.

      --George
    • Gene Ward Smith
      Message 59 of 59 , Jun 25 6:06 PM
        <gdsecor@y...> wrote:

        > Gene, for your enlightenment: 29-HTT consists (except for one filler
        > tone) of 3 chains of fifths of ~703.5787c, or exactly (504/13)^
        > (1/9). The 3 chains of fifths contain tones 1/1, 5/4, and 7/4,
        > respectively, and the tones in each chain are taken to as many places
        > as are required to result in otonal ogdoads on roots Bb, F, C, G, D,
        > and A. This also gives very-near-just diatonic (5-limit) scales in 5
        > different keys.

        Followed up by