Gamma Elegy

  • iranief
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 12, 2009
      This piece is the second one I have composed using my Opal Chameleon (the first one is Chameleon In The Dark).
      What's new is that I have used a completely different note layout for it thanks to an application created by X.J.Scott.
      http://www.seraph.it/dep/det/GammaElegy.mp3
      http://www.seraph.it/blog_files/category-tuning-theory.html
    • Ozan Yarman
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 12, 2009
        As always, I like music that is ethereal and ominous. This one is
        another excellent sort of that genre... until the guitar part comes
        in... but it is suddenly reinforced with that eternal chorus once
        again. However, I feel there is an unbalance with the instruments in
        the middle of the piece.

        Wendy Carlos's scales merit some re-investigating.

        Oz.

        ✩ ✩ ✩
        www.ozanyarman.com

        On Nov 13, 2009, at 2:02 AM, iranief wrote:

        > This piece is the second one I have composed using my Opal Chameleon
        > (the first one is Chameleon In The Dark).
        > What's new is that I have used a completely different note layout
        > for it thanks to an application created by X.J.Scott.
        > http://www.seraph.it/dep/det/GammaElegy.mp3
        > http://www.seraph.it/blog_files/category-tuning-theory.html

      • Dante Rosati
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 12, 2009
          rthe vocal melody that the guitar doubles is fantastic.

          On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 7:02 PM, iranief <carlo@...> wrote:

          > This piece is the second one I have composed using my Opal Chameleon (the
          > first one is Chameleon In The Dark).
          > What's new is that I have used a completely different note layout for it
          > thanks to an application created by X.J.Scott.
          > http://www.seraph.it/dep/det/GammaElegy.mp3
          > http://www.seraph.it/blog_files/category-tuning-theory.html

        • Carlo
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 13, 2009
            We aim to please but can't please everyone!
            :-)
            Thanks for listening.

            --- In MakeMicroMusic@yahoogroups.com, Ozan Yarman <ozanyarman@...> wrote:

            > As always, I like music that is ethereal and ominous. This one is
            > another excellent sort of that genre... until the guitar part comes
            > in... but it is suddenly reinforced with that eternal chorus once
            > again. However, I feel there is an unbalance with the instruments in
            > the middle of the piece.

          • Carlo
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 13, 2009
              Dante,
              that melody has stuck in my head for days now!
              I can't seem to be able to erase it from memory. In cases like this one I repeatedly try whistling "Donna Lee" by Charlie Parker and it usually does the trick (I forget the previous melody). It is not working on this one!!!
              ;-)
              Thanks for listening!

              --- In MakeMicroMusic@yahoogroups.com, Dante Rosati <danterosati@...> wrote:

              > rthe vocal melody that the guitar doubles is fantastic.

            • Carl Lumma
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 13, 2009
                Omnisphere is a cool product. Which application of Jeff's
                did you use?

                -Carl

                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 13, 2009
                  well...it's a remapper for isomorphic keyboards like Opal Chameleon or C-Thru Music Axis 64. It is not for sale yet. I guess I am a beta tester!
                  :-)

                  --- In MakeMicroMusic@yahoogroups.com, Carl Lumma <carl@...> wrote:

                  > Omnisphere is a cool product. Which application of Jeff's
                  > did you use?
                  >
                  > -Carl

                • Danny Wier
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 14, 2009
                    Hey Carlo, this is really nice. I don't remember if I heard your other
                    work, so I'm checking out your blog right now.

                    Also, since a chain of 20 major thirds bounded by a perfect fifth
                    essentially produces Gamma, I think I'm going to go ahead and dub the
                    ratio 1990656/1953125 the "Carlos comma" unless it already has been
                    already.

                    ~D. ¶¦¬{> http://dannywier.ucoz.com

                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 14, 2009
                      The other thing that essentially produces gamma is 34-ET.
                      Gamma has 1193-cent octaves. If you stretch them to pure
                      you get 34-ET. -Carl

                      At 06:30 PM 11/14/2009, Danny wrote:
                      >Hey Carlo, this is really nice. I don't remember if I heard your other
                      >work, so I'm checking out your blog right now.
                      >
                      >Also, since a chain of 20 major thirds bounded by a perfect fifth
                      >essentially produces Gamma, I think I'm going to go ahead and dub the
                      >ratio 1990656/1953125 the "Carlos comma" unless it already has been
                      >already.
                      >
                      >~D. ¶¦¬{> http://dannywier.ucoz.com

                    • Carlo
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 14, 2009
                        Hi Danny,
                        thanks!
                        I would have never thought of a "Carlos comma" (32.95158 cents) but you did! Good!
                        :-)

                        --- In MakeMicroMusic@yahoogroups.com, "Danny Wier" <dawiertx@...> wrote:

                        > Hey Carlo, this is really nice. I don't remember if I heard your other
                        > work, so I'm checking out your blog right now.
                        >
                        > Also, since a chain of 20 major thirds bounded by a perfect fifth
                        > essentially produces Gamma, I think I'm going to go ahead and dub the
                        > ratio 1990656/1953125 the "Carlos comma" unless it already has been
                        > already.

                      • Carlo
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 14, 2009
                          You are right but I really like playing with both compressed (1193) and stretched (1228) octaves!

                          --- In MakeMicroMusic@yahoogroups.com, Carl Lumma <carl@...> wrote:

                          > The other thing that essentially produces gamma is 34-ET.
                          > Gamma has 1193-cent octaves. If you stretch them to pure
                          > you get 34-ET. -Carl
                        • Mike Battaglia
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 17, 2009
                            This is beautiful. This might be my favorite piece of microtonal music in
                            the world.

                            -Mike

                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 17, 2009
                              Although, to add to my last comment... I think this stands on its own right
                              as a beautiful piece of music, not just a demonstration of theoretical
                              ideas. This piece evokes all kinds of feelings and imagery, some quite
                              unfamiliar due to its surprisingly intuitive use of xenharmonic chords... To
                              give it a name like Gamma Elegy seems only to detract from what it really
                              is, which is a highly expressive and well written piece of music.

                              This piece is really beautiful, and if you don't mind, I'll be spreading
                              this around on Facebook.

                              -Mike

                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 17, 2009
                                Mike,
                                thanks! I have to say it's misleading to say that it is a "well written piece of music" because it's mostly improvised. The first part had been there sitting for awhile waiting for some development that wasn't coming. Then, for some mysterious reason, I started using that guitar sample and everything started making sense. The third part is a finale I added to have the 2 main instruments (choir and guitar) play a variation of the previous guitar theme in the style of the first part.
                                I feel to have only scratched the surface of Carlos Gamma tuning system but I will persist!
                                Sometimes I feel discouraged by the tantalizing efforts this tuning system requires to come up with something sounding like music but comments like yours help me not giving up. Thanks again!
                                :-)
                                Carlo

                                p.s.
                                go ahead with Facebook and let me know.

                                --- In MakeMicroMusic@yahoogroups.com, Mike Battaglia <battaglia01@...> wrote:

                                > Although, to add to my last comment... I think this stands on its own right
                                > as a beautiful piece of music, not just a demonstration of theoretical
                                > ideas. This piece evokes all kinds of feelings and imagery, some quite
                                > unfamiliar due to its surprisingly intuitive use of xenharmonic chords... To
                                > give it a name like Gamma Elegy seems only to detract from what it really
                                > is, which is a highly expressive and well written piece of music.
                                >
                                > This piece is really beautiful, and if you don't mind, I'll be spreading
                                > this around on Facebook.
                                >
                                > -Mike
                              • Mike Battaglia
                                Message 15 of 16 , Nov 17, 2009
                                  Was the guitar a sample? It sounded real to me... What sample library
                                  are you using?

                                  -Mike

                                  On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 2:51 AM, Carlo <carlo@...> wrote:

                                  > Mike,
                                  > thanks! I have to say it's misleading to say that it is a "well written piece of music" because it's mostly improvised. The first part had been there sitting for awhile waiting for some development that wasn't coming. Then, for some mysterious reason, I started using that guitar sample and everything started making sense. The third part is a finale I added to have the 2 main instruments (choir and guitar) play a variation of the previous guitar theme in the style of the first part.
                                  > I feel to have only scratched the surface of Carlos Gamma tuning system but I will persist!
                                  > Sometimes I feel discouraged by the tantalizing efforts this tuning system requires to come up with something sounding like music but comments like yours help me not giving up. Thanks again!
                                  > :-)
                                  > Carlo
                                  >
                                  > p.s.
                                  > go ahead with Facebook and let me know.
                                  >
                                  > --- In MakeMicroMusic@yahoogroups.com, Mike Battaglia <battaglia01@...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Although, to add to my last comment... I think this stands on its own right
                                  > > as a beautiful piece of music, not just a demonstration of theoretical
                                  > > ideas. This piece evokes all kinds of feelings and imagery, some quite
                                  > > unfamiliar due to its surprisingly intuitive use of xenharmonic chords... To
                                  > > give it a name like Gamma Elegy seems only to detract from what it really
                                  > > is, which is a highly expressive and well written piece of music.
                                  > >
                                  > > This piece is really beautiful, and if you don't mind, I'll be spreading
                                  > > this around on Facebook.
                                  > >
                                  > > -Mike

                                • Carlo
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Nov 18, 2009