7edo Dance

  • Carlo Serafini
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 1, 2008
      7EDO Dance is a simple study of "7 steps Equal Division of the Octave" tuning system (see my
      blog for more informations).

      http://www.seraph.it/dep/det/7edo%20dance.mp3
      http://xenharmonic.wikispaces.com/7edo
      http://www.seraph.it/blog_files/category-music.html
    • Doctor Oakroot
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 1, 2008
        I like it. You can definitely hear the progression - which surprised me. I
        expected a small EDO to sound more uniform.

        --
        http://DoctorOakroot.com - Rough-edged songs on quirky homemade guitars.
        ~ Shroud for the Dead ~ available at http://cdbaby.com/cd/droakroot7
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 1, 2008
          Nice piece Carlo -- I've always been attracted to the small-edo
          tunings because they are easy and fun to work with.
          Here's a piece based on a "seven line chant" called the "Seven Tone
          Prayer"

          http://homepages.cae.wisc.edu/~sethares/SevenTonePrayer.mp3

          also in 7-edo.

          -- Bill Sethares

          --- In MakeMicroMusic@yahoogroups.com, "Doctor Oakroot" <doctor@...>

          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 1, 2008
            Thanks Doctor Oakroot
            the progression is a very simple I IV V I but yes, you can definitely hear it!
            :-)

            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 1, 2008
              Thanks Bill
              you are right, 7edo is easy and fun. the fact that an octave (7 steps) fits in a fifth (7 keys of
              a standard keyboard) helps a lot!
              Your "Seven Tone Prayer" sounds very nice too!
              :-)

              --- In MakeMicroMusic@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Sethares" <sethares@...> wrote:

              > Nice piece Carlo -- I've always been attracted to the small-edo
              > tunings because they are easy and fun to work with.
              > Here's a piece based on a "seven line chant" called the "Seven Tone
              > Prayer"
              >
              > http://homepages.cae.wisc.edu/~sethares/SevenTonePrayer.mp3
              >
              > also in 7-edo.
              >
              > -- Bill Sethares
              >
              > --- In MakeMicroMusic@yahoogroups.com, "Doctor Oakroot" <doctor@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > I like it. You can definitely hear the progression - which
              > surprised me. I
              > > expected a small EDO to sound more uniform.
              > >
              > > > 7EDO Dance is a simple study of "7 steps Equal Division of the
              > Octave"
              > > > tuning system (see my
              > > > blog for more informations).
              > > >
              > > > http://www.seraph.it/dep/det/7edo%20dance.mp3
              > > > http://xenharmonic.wikispaces.com/7edo
              > > > http://www.seraph.it/blog_files/category-music.html
              > > >

              > > --
              > > http://DoctorOakroot.com - Rough-edged songs on quirky homemade
              > guitars.
              > > ~ Shroud for the Dead ~ available at http://cdbaby.com/cd/droakroot7

            • aum
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 1, 2008
                I have the same experience you described in your blog. After some time
                of working in 7edo, it souded so "normal" to me that I had to play 12edo
                to be able to notice the 7edo xentonality again.
                The mapping on 7 white keys with familiar meaning helps a lot. I call
                the 7edo "tempered diatonic" for myself. I love the "symmetry" of the
                tuning and the neutral character of triads.
                Milan

              • jrinkel@hiwaay.net
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 1, 2008
                  This piece is quite cool! Very good!

                  Jay

                  Quoting Carlo Serafini <carlo@...>:

                  > 7EDO Dance is a simple study of "7 steps Equal Division of the Octave"
                  > tuning system (see my
                  > blog for more informations).
                  >
                  > http://www.seraph.it/dep/det/7edo%20dance.mp3
                  > http://xenharmonic.wikispaces.com/7edo
                  > http://www.seraph.it/blog_files/category-music.html

                • Chris Vaisvil
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 1, 2008
                    I agree - I let it run in the background for about an hour.

                    Makes me want to try my hand at 7 EDO

                    On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 8:40 PM, <jrinkel@...> wrote:

                    > This piece is quite cool! Very good!
                    >
                    > Jay
                    >
                    > Quoting Carlo Serafini <carlo@... <carlo%40seraph.it>>:
                    >
                    > > 7EDO Dance is a simple study of "7 steps Equal Division of the Octave"
                    > > tuning system (see my
                    > > blog for more informations).
                    > >
                    > > http://www.seraph.it/dep/det/7edo%20dance.mp3
                    > > http://xenharmonic.wikispaces.com/7edo
                    > > http://www.seraph.it/blog_files/category-music.html

                  • Danny Wier
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 1, 2008
                      Carlo Serafini wrote:

                      >> 7EDO Dance is a simple study of "7 steps Equal Division of the Octave" tuning system (see my
                      >> blog for more informations).
                      >>
                      >> http://www.seraph.it/dep/det/7edo%20dance.mp3
                      >> http://xenharmonic.wikispaces.com/7edo
                      >> http://www.seraph.it/blog_files/category-music.html

                      This is making me want to write something in 7-equal; thanks! (I've
                      messed around with 7- and 5-tone, but never finished a serious work a
                      "macrotonal" tuning.)

                      I also liked the rhythm of this tune, with the sparse downbeats and
                      heavy syncopation. I've always been into funk, funk-rock, funk-metal,
                      jazz-funk and so on, which explains a lot why bass is my favorite
                      instrument.

                      ~D.
                    • Carlo Serafini
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 1, 2008
                        Hi Milan
                        I did not map the 7 steps of the scale to 7 white keys (it did not even occur to me!) but to
                        the 7 contiguous keys of my master keyboard. To me this scale has some kind of
                        myxolydian flavour (with neutral thirds), that's the reason why, I think, it sounds "familiar".

                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 2, 2008
                          Thank Jay
                          I appreciate that!
                          :-)

                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 2, 2008
                            Thanks Chris
                            :-))

                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 2, 2008
                              Thanks Danny
                              the rhythm is done with a single, 8 bars long, loop of Reason's Dr:Rex copied and pasted
                              (each copy randomized), with LFO assigned to pan (as you can see from the picture on my
                              blog).

                              --- In MakeMicroMusic@yahoogroups.com, Danny Wier <dawiertx@...> wrote:

                              > Carlo Serafini wrote:
                              >
                              > >> 7EDO Dance is a simple study of "7 steps Equal Division of the Octave" tuning
                              system (see my
                              > >> blog for more informations).
                              > >>
                              > >> http://www.seraph.it/dep/det/7edo%20dance.mp3
                              > >> http://xenharmonic.wikispaces.com/7edo
                              > >> http://www.seraph.it/blog_files/category-music.html
                              > >>

                              > This is making me want to write something in 7-equal; thanks! (I've
                              > messed around with 7- and 5-tone, but never finished a serious work a
                              > "macrotonal" tuning.)
                              >
                              > I also liked the rhythm of this tune, with the sparse downbeats and
                              > heavy syncopation. I've always been into funk, funk-rock, funk-metal,
                              > jazz-funk and so on, which explains a lot why bass is my favorite
                              > instrument.
                              >
                              > ~D.

                            • aum
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 2, 2008
                                My usual mapping is 7edo on white keys and tones from 14edo on black
                                keys. But I never used this 12 of 14 scale in any finished piece.
                                Two simple songs in 7edo you can find at TraxInSpace:
                                http://www.traxinspace.com/search?what=songs&search=pavouci&x=0&y=0
                                http://www.traxinspace.com/search?what=songs&search=kelt&x=0&y=0
                                or:
                                http://www.uvnitr.cz/flao/pavouci.html
                                http://www.uvnitr.cz/flao/kelt.html
                                Pavouci (Spiders) is based on simple I-II-I-II-... progression. Kelt
                                (Celt) is I-II-VII-V-I-...
                                Milan

                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 2, 2008
                                  Hi Milan
                                  Pavouci is much too scary for my taste (who's got that Barry White voice? You?)
                                  Kelt is much more "digestible" (I like that one)
                                  :-)

                                  --- In MakeMicroMusic@yahoogroups.com, aum <aum@...> wrote:

                                  > My usual mapping is 7edo on white keys and tones from 14edo on black
                                  > keys. But I never used this 12 of 14 scale in any finished piece.
                                  > Two simple songs in 7edo you can find at TraxInSpace:
                                  > http://www.traxinspace.com/search?what=songs&search=pavouci&x=0&y=0
                                  > http://www.traxinspace.com/search?what=songs&search=kelt&x=0&y=0
                                  > or:
                                  > http://www.uvnitr.cz/flao/pavouci.html
                                  > http://www.uvnitr.cz/flao/kelt.html
                                  > Pavouci (Spiders) is based on simple I-II-I-II-... progression. Kelt
                                  > (Celt) is I-II-VII-V-I-...
                                  > Milan
                                  >

                                  > Carlo Serafini wrote:
                                  > > Hi Milan
                                  > > I did not map the 7 steps of the scale to 7 white keys (it did not even occur to me!) but
                                  > > the 7 contiguous keys of my master keyboard. To me this scale has some kind of
                                  > > myxolydian flavour (with neutral thirds), that's the reason why, I think, it sounds
                                  "familiar".

                                • aum
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 2, 2008
                                    Yes, it is my heavily processed tenor. :-) M