AutoCAD synth output in X3D.

  • Andrew Fillebrown
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 18, 2008
      Hey all,

      I found a cool way to output my AutoCAD compositions so that you can
      experience them in a similar fashion to how it looks while I'm drawing
      them. Check out what I've got so far at http://audiosculptures.com/.
      It's not all microtonal and everything posted so far is experimental
      or work in progress (nothing I'd call a "real" piece yet), but it's
      interesting so I'd thought I'd share the news.

      I've just started writing music in earnest with the CAD synth and my
      focus right now is to explore the more unique aspects of it, so any
      feedback will be greatly appreciated since a lot of my friends are
      non-musicians and think I'm out of my gourd when they listen to what
      I've made so far.

      Anyway, feel free to tour the site and let me know what you think.

      Regards,
      Andy F.
    • Mykhaylo Khramov
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 21, 2008
        Dear Andy,

        Congratulations!

        It seems your virtual 3D ANS open great perspectives for composers.
        Is it possible now to draw music in seconds, cents and decibels?
      • Andrew Fillebrown
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 21, 2008
          --- In MakeMicroMusic@yahoogroups.com, "Mykhaylo Khramov"
          <commator@...> wrote:

          > Dear Andy,
          >
          > Congratulations!
          >
          > It seems your virtual 3D ANS open great perspectives for composers.
          > Is it possible now to draw music in seconds, cents and decibels?

          yes, yes, and yes!

          There are some inaccuracies that still need to be ironed out in the dB
          conversion but the time and pitch axes are precise to the sample level
          which is currently 32-bit 48-khz on initial output.

          The score itself is stored on disk using 64 bits on all three axes and
          is vector based instead of sample based thus making it relatively
          small in size. Currently the interpolations are all linear but I did
          some experiments using NURBS curves a while back and I will most
          likely revisit them when a faster computer is available to me because
          they are absolutely gorgeous to look at and listen to. The curve code
          is written and ready to go, but it's very slow and graphics intensive
          and is much more than my laptop and most of my audience's computers
          can handle at the moment. And besides that, there's plenty to explore
          using linear interpolations alone right now and composing music with
          this thing is already mind bending enough without adding the
          complexities of NURBS into the mix.

          Most importantly, though, is the fact that the synth is much more
          stable compared to my earlier attempts (this is the seventh one I've
          built from scratch now, hehe). I can now use it for hours and hours
          without running into a show stopping bug if it even crashes at all,
          which is a huge accomplishment for me since I have no formal computer
          science education or degree.

          I apologize if I'm tooting my own horn too much but I'm very proud of
          what I've been able to accomplish through perseverance. This is now
          an incredible tool and it will only get better and more advanced as
          time goes on.

          anyway... I've got another sculpture waiting to be uploaded so I've
          got to go...

          Regards,
          - Andy F.
        • Mykhaylo Khramov
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 22, 2008
            Thank you Andy for details.

            They are very important for me, because my experiments with MIDI
            modeling are parallel with my job wich is 3D modeling of metal art
            items. I began with AutoCAD, but now use SolidWorks as more suitable
            software.

            I believe there is a great future for your method of composing music
            because it is completely virtual.

            Hope your 3DANS will soon available for all who wish to use it.

            Is it possible to play sculptures in DWG format?

            Regards,
            Michael
          • Andrew Fillebrown
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 22, 2008
              <commator@...> wrote:

              > Hope your 3DANS will soon available for all who wish to use it.

              Many of the things that need to happen before it becomes available
              revolve around me being able to make money since I am literally a
              starving artist due to life choices I've made in order to be able to
              continue its development (AutoCAD is not cheap). If anybody has any
              advice in that department, I'm all ears.

              > Is it possible to play sculptures in DWG format?

              yes. I compile the wave files and play them back directly from
              AutoCAD as can be seen in the picture linked below. Currently there
              is no real-time animation in AutoCAD, though, since their plug-in
              library is not thread safe. I'm pretty sure animation can be done,
              but it goes against what AutoCAD is designed to do and is very
              difficult. I've tried and failed many times. If the whole idea of
              using CAD to draw music catches on then it will probably be done in
              some kind of program like Blender or 3ds max since they have support
              for animation built in, unlike AutoCAD. I have abstracted my base
              libraries in order to make the eventual switch as easy as possible,
              but porting the library to different 3d editors is on the back-burner
              because I want to make some noise with it and prove its viability.

              Here's a picture:
              http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i234/Monkage/MusiCADinaction.jpg

              I develop it under the name "MusiCAD", but the name is already taken
              by a notation program so it will have to be changed prior to release.
            • Mykhaylo Khramov
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 23, 2008
                Many thanks for explanations.

                Some questions else:

                In which format are your output audio files?
                Can you e-mail to me for example some DWGs of music in format
                AutoCAD2000?
                Also small videos in 3GP format to watch and listen them in mobile?

                Regards,
                Michael
              • Andrew Fillebrown
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 23, 2008
                  <commator@...> wrote:

                  > Many thanks for explanations.

                  Your welcome. Thank you for the interest.

                  > In which format are your output audio files?

                  The individual tracks are first output to mono 32bit 48khz IEEE format
                  wave files, then mixed down to a single 16bit 44.1khz mono mp3 or PCM
                  format wave depending on if I'm looping the file or not.

                  > Can you e-mail to me for example some DWGs of music in format
                  > AutoCAD2000?

                  No, but I can email the drawings in Autodesk's portable .dwf format
                  for which there is a free viewer available from Autodesk --
                  http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=4086277

                  > Also small videos in 3GP format to watch and listen them in mobile?

                  I generate a video using Fraps for every sculpture created and posted
                  to http://audiosculptures.com/. The video is then uploaded to youtube
                  -- http://www.youtube.com/DrewFill -- and embedded on the
                  appropriate web page. Feel free to download and convert the youtube
                  videos to 3GP.

                  - Andy F.
                • Mykhaylo Khramov
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 25, 2008
                    > > Can you e-mail to me for example some DWGs of music in format
                    > > AutoCAD2000?
                    > >

                    > No, but I can email the drawings in Autodesk's portable .dwf format
                    > for which there is a free viewer available from Autodesk --
                    > http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=4086277

                    Oh! Please e-mail to commator@...
                    I'll try to learn better your sculptures.

                    Michael.
                  • Andrew Fillebrown
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 25, 2008
                      <commator@...> wrote:

                      > Oh! Please e-mail to commator@...
                      > I'll try to learn better your sculptures.

                      The e-mail address gets truncated after the @ symbol in this forum.
                      Please post it differently or e-mail me off list (andy (at)
                      audiosculptures.com).

                      - Andy F.
                    • Mykhaylo Khramov
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 26, 2008
                        > I generate a video using Fraps for every sculpture created and posted
                        > to http://audiosculptures.com/. The video is then uploaded to youtube
                        > -- http://www.youtube.com/DrewFill -- and embedded on the
                        > appropriate web page. Feel free to download and convert the youtube
                        > videos to 3GP.
                        >
                        > - Andy F.

                        Today have converted all 15 videos.
                        Will try to sort them in order of my preferences.
                        Then will send to you my list.

                        I'm very impressed,
                        Michael