Friday Night Modeling

  • Phil Bourguignon
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 3, 2010

      Well here we are again.  There were a lot of great resonses to my Friday night modeling thread last Friday so I thought - let's give it another go!  I know I'm a little later than last week.  Tonight I started moving dirt around for an outside closet that I'm going to build next to the deck with my G scale layout.  One of the "problems" with G scale trains and equipment is everything is sooooo big (when compared to HOn30 that is).  So I thought a combination garden/RR equipment shed might be a good idea.  It's certainly a fun project, at least to me.

      So I said last Friday that I was rebuilding the boiler and what turned out to be nearly everything else for my WWF #9.  As I type this the rebuilt loco is moving it's way at a very plesant slow speed around the layout.  Behind it is a flat car and box car 29.  I don't mind telling you that this was a major project.  I don't know how many hours it took to get the new NWSL motor installed just right and then the tweaking of about everything else to get it where it is.  But it's a great thing to watch it slither around the curves and slowly chuf down the straight ways.  Very pleasing.

      So, what's everyone doing or planning on doing tonight or this weekend?

      Phil B

    • james mcmillin
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 3, 2010
        Nothing much tonight. Spend the day getting read for and now just waiting for Hurricane Earl to start blowing through. I figure he should be here for breakfast, just hoping the power doesn't go out.

        James in Halifax

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 3, 2010
          Art,
           I know what you mean about not being able to see the floors.  Mine's the same.

          James,
            Good luck with Earl.  We've had our share of them here in Florida.

          Phil B

          To: MaineTwoFooters@yahoogroups.com
          From: jamesmcmca@...
          Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 18:33:56 -0700
          Subject: Re: [MaineTwoFooters] Friday Night Modeling

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 3, 2010
            Be safe James!

            Bill Uffelman
            Las Vegas NV

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 3, 2010
              We're good, I have a generator and fuel, lots of water, a saw if needed, propane fuel for the BBQ and plenty of food. Experience is a great teacher.

              Thanks James

              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 4, 2010
                Painting the blue sky background around the benchwork.. Keeping most off the floor.

                                                                                        Bob

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 10, 2010
                  Last weekend we had a bunch of intereting projects happening far and wide...

                  Art was cleaning up the layout room...

                  James in Halifax was preparing for Earl (you still there James?) ...

                  Murray in the G scale group was having a tough time finding the "Dame switch!" ...

                  Big Al built his WSL pond hoist - we would like to see pictures!...

                  Roberto was relaxing putting on paper creek shingles on the grist mill.  Advice - lose the Dachshunds and get a bachmann...

                  John, was making his return to HOn30 with what I thought was a layout to fit in the chicago museam of science, but instead is a nice sized module (?)...

                  Robert was painting blue sky...

                  XX was feeding his dog a tank car...

                  Bert and Sharon told us about their trip on Yosemite sugar pine 10, Sounds wonderful...

                  and finally we had Bob Dee converting a  bachman docksider.

                  What an energetic bunch we are!

                  Personally, I worked on my BSRR #7 most nights this past week.  It never ran right and I decided to attack it again.  This was on the heels of my #9 restoration so I had new confidence.  It took a lot of trial and error but I'm really glad to say I got it.  For tonight I don't know - maybe some scenery work for a change.  Maybe I'll just watch #9 and 7 go round and round.

                  What's everyone else doing?

                  Phil in Daytona

                • james mcmillin
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 10, 2010
                    Still here, only had the power go out for about 25 minutes at midday, not even enough time to get out my generator. Others areas lot it for up to a day and a half. Back to planning and sketching, I have to make space so I need to have a bit of a plan first.

                    James

                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 17, 2010
                      So what's up for this night and the rest of the weekend all?

                      I have the motorized chassis to try to install in the HOn30 trolley car.

                      In the world of G scale, I'm going to lay the floor boards on the new deck extension that is for the outside closet.

                      So what's everyone else up to?

                      Phil B

                    • Robert McAdory
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 17, 2010
                        Seeing if my track plan will fit in the space I have built for it.
                                                                                              Bob

                      • ussamaru@yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 18, 2010
                          Still tweaking the "final" track plan. Hope to get started building it late this fall.

                          Walt

                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 24, 2010

                            It was an exhausting week.  About all I can do tonight is paint a little scenery.  I'm still trying to figure out the trolley car.  Not to happy with that project.  On the G scale front - I priced T-1-11 panels for my out door storage closet.  Lowe's has them for $35.00 each.  That's a big jump from the last time I purchased them.  And I need three of them.  So I'll check out the other box stores and see if I do any better anywhere else.

                            So what's everyone else up to?

                            Phil B

                          • Phil Bourguignon
                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 15, 2010
                              [Authors note:  I'm a little late (again) writing this FNM so I haven't read or responded to all the posts that have come up since last night]

                              Greetings all!
                                Hope everyone had a productive and not too exhausting week.  I know I did and I'm ready to do some modeling.

                              I have gotten down to the nitty-gritty detailing work on my little steam dummie.  This is the Fleishmann mechanisms that I've had for years and never really found a good use for it.  As I write it's chugging around the track very nicely.  A little clicky and wobbly but probably not so much unlike its prototypical ancestors.  I've taken a few pictures of the project as it has proceeded so I'll try posting a few pics (I never really post a few do I?) when it's about done.

                              In the talk about modifying or changing our way of posting I haven't given much of it any thought.  What I did think was a good idea was regarding photos in the album.  I think to make mine easier to access I'm going to retitle them all "Train Shed" and then give them subtitles like "mechanisms or trolleys."  That way everything will be in one place and you will not have to go around searching all over to find them.

                              One more thought if you have made it this far.  As you probably know from previous FNM I also dabble a little in G scale.  It gets me out of the shed and out in to the sunshine which I truly enjoy.  What I wanted to say is this week I'm not including the G scale group in this letter.  That group has been involved in a major argument that continues with no end in sight for weeks now.  It's not what it's suppose to be about (can anyone say fun?) and some of them don't know when to quit.  So for the time being I've excused myself.  I know our group has from time to time had mild disagreements but I think we behave civil for the most part.  This is due in no small way to our moderator Jorgen.  You have gently moved the group through some jagged moments with both understanding and firmness ("... now back to trains.")  I think we all owe Jorgen a salute of thanks for all his hard work and efforts to keeping this forum not just a civil place to exchange ideas but in keeping it what it's suppose to be ... fun.

                              Thank you very much Jorgen.

                              So, what's everyone else doing?

                              Phil B