boxcars of the 2' lines

  • rdg1187prr
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 7, 2009
      Does anyone know if any of the 2 footers operated outside braced boxcars? I have always assumed that they were all outside sheathed boxcars because that is all I've ever seen.

      In the April 2009 issue of RMC there was an article on outside braced stock cars. SO I began to wonder if any boxcars were similarly constructed?
      If so. Could someone point me into the direction to find out more about them? Is there any photo's or drawings online of them?

      Thanks for your time,
      John Caples
    • Jim
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 7, 2009
        Almost all the boxcars were externally sheathed.The one stock car on the SR&RL is built just like the 24 foot box cars but didn't get the sheathing.  The only outside braced boxcar/s came from the B&B to the Sandy River and were gone early in the 20th century. All others were sheathed on all the 2 footers.   -JP

        Does anyone know if any of the 2 footers operated outside braced boxcars? I have always assumed that they were all outside sheathed boxcars because that is all I've ever seen.

        In the April 2009 issue of RMC there was an article on outside braced stock cars. SO I began to wonder if any boxcars were similarly constructed?
        If so. Could someone point me into the direction to find out more about them?  Is there any photo's or drawings online of them?

        Thanks for your time,
        John Caples

      • Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 7, 2009
          Thanks, guys! I was wondering the same thing!

[...]

          Columbia, Maryland  USA

        • jdevos99@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 7, 2009
            The only B&B boxcar, identified as letter "A", built by Ranlet, was not outside braced. To my knowledge there were no Maine common carrier two-foot outside braced boxcars. All the Dyer boxcars built for the SR, F&M, P&R and KC were outside sheathed. I believe there was an outside braced boxcar on the two-foot S.D. Warren at Westbrook, ME if that counts. The SR and F&M had outside braced baggage cars built from ex B&B excursion cars.
            Jerry DeVos
          • Wesley Ewell
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 8, 2009
              Which reminds me, did you get your second book reprinted yet? -Wes

              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 8, 2009
                Of course I remember this minutes after sending and then can't get back to email untl the next day.  There was the one B&B car that was outdside braced that was used IIRC as a caboose.  A modeler that likes outside braced cars could use it as a boxcar,  but the end platforms would need to go.  -JP

                The only B&B boxcar, identified as letter "A", built by Ranlet, was not outside braced.

              • Colin Rainsbury
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 8, 2009

                  Ah outside framed we call em over here, and yes the Lynton and Barnstaple Railway have outside framed bogie box cars visit http://www.lynton-rail.co.uk/home to find out about the real railway and then click on that name in Google for a modelling link or how about the number of 2ft gauge WW1 bogie vans you guys made for that war effort.

                  Hope that helps

                  Colin Rainsbury
                  on the far side of the pond

                • rdg1187prr
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 9, 2009
                    I want to thank everyone for the information.

                    I must admit that I like the look of the outside braced cars. I see many of them on home layouts for the 24" and 30" gauge railways but I could never find any prototype info. on them to support it.

                    The reason I ask is of course is that I would like to model some. But I'd like to be able to support the idea with prototype data.

                    Thanks,
                    John Caples
                  • David Lamson

                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 9, 2009
                        On my layout I have equpment running that never ran on any Maine trakage.  If I see something I like I just build it - even if it was (gasp!) wide gauge.  You can justify it to yourself (who else, your wife doesn't care, thinks you're a little nuts) by figuring that some of the equipment was purchased, brought to Maine and modified.

                        Speaking of two foot country, check out the web cam in Damriscotta (not far from WW&R Rwy).  They're having a blizzard!

                        http://www.mainecoastbookshop.com/webcam2.html

                        Phil B

                        To: MaineTwoFooters@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 9, 2009
                          John,
                          There is one other possibility for you as I think about this. Photos of any of the 3 SR&RL stock cars are few and far between - I think only 6 or 7 are known to exist. All three cars were built as OB I believe. In one or two of the photos is appears that the railroad closed up the car for the winter by inserting planks into the open horizontal spaces on the sides. So maybe you could model one or two of the stock cars "in their late fall - winter - early spring" grab.

                          Good luck,

                          Jim Providenza

                          --- In MaineTwoFooters@yahoogroups.com, "rdg1187prr" <caples5@...> wrote:
                          but I could never find any prototype info. on them to support it.

                          > The reason I ask is of course is that I would like to model some. But I'd like to be able to support the idea with prototype data.
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          > John Caples

                        • Jim
                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 9, 2009
                            Jim,  I an only think of 3 or 4  photos of just one of the stockcars ,  What are the ones you know of?  I was under the impression from Kohler that there may have been only one actual stockcar. The other two may have been called stockcars but looked like boxcars, and that's why they never show up in photos.
                            Jerry, have you found anything more on the 3 cars listed as stockcars?  -JP

                            There is one other possibility for you as I think about this.  Photos of any of the 3 SR&RL stock cars are few and far between - I think only 6 or 7 are known to exist.  All three cars were built as OB I believe. In one or two of the photos is appears that the railroad closed up the car for the winter by inserting planks into the open horizontal spaces on the sides.  So maybe you could model one or two of the stock cars "in their late fall - winter - early spring" grab.

                            Good luck,

                            Jim Providenza

                            --- In MaineTwoFooters@yahoogroups.com, "rdg1187prr" <caples5@...> wrote:
                            but I could never find any prototype info. on them to support it.

                            > The reason I ask is of course is that I would like to model some. But I'd like to be able to support the idea with prototype data.
                            >
                            > Thanks,
                            > John Caples

                          • guy rioux
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 9, 2009
                              A little history on stock cars, using 1910 as a cut off date. The only two roads which seem to have had them was the sandy river and the phillips and rangeley roads. The later has their stocks cars in more news reports than the sandy river. An 1893? Story about a shipment oxen by the p&r to farmington stated it was the first shipment by a narrow gauge in franklin co. I do not think that to be so, the sandy river seems to have shipments over their line prior to the p&r being built, theirs were not news worthy? Only a guess on my part but if the sandy river was making shipments it was most likely horses, racing and show ones, this was very popular at the time. If I find the date of the first sandy river stock car I will post it up, may be a while have to find it, hope this helps

                              Jim <red_gate_rover@...> wrote:

                              >Jim,  I an only think of 3 or 4  photos of just one of the stockcars ,  What are the ones you know of?  I was under the impression from Kohler that there may have been only one actual stockcar. The other two may have been called stockcars but looked like boxcars, and that's why they never show up in photos.
                              >Jerry, have you found anything more on the 3 cars listed as stockcars?  -JP

                            • jimprovidenza
                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 11, 2009
                                Jim,
                                I looked last night and the single best reference is Peter Barney's Pictorial Guide to Freight Equipment of the SR&RL, BHI Publications 2007, (www.quickpicbooks.com). Barney has 5 different pictures (and enlargement's of 2 of them) on pages 54 - 56. There is an Estey plan of a stock car lettered 491 on 97. Interesting to note for John that 3 of the 5 pictures show the cars completely boarded up - the 490 clearly shows up in both open and boarded up condition. Barney's book on the early Forneys duplicates the photo on the bottom of page 55 and the 490 is actually in sharper focus in the Forney book.

                                Jim Providenza