B&SR Car Shop

  • Wesley Ewell
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2009
      My latest drawing project is the B&SR car shop, based on some 1937 photos and field notes that I acquired more than 40 years ago, but forgot I had. These drawings will show significant differences from earlier published drawings of this building. The biggest of these differences is size: it was only 20' wide and 65' long. It had windows and skylights on both east and west sides. Early on it also had windows in the eaves and barn doors on the west side, all of which were sheathed over in later years. This building has always been called the paint shop, but it was actually a carpentry shop used for all sorts of repairs on equipment. In 1992 I drew this building 23' x 73' based on a map in Edgar Mead's books, but didn't publish it because I couldn't justify the clapboard spacing and door sizes. When I reduced this plan 15%, however, everything fell into place. I'm doing the new plan on CAD and will post jpg files when it's done. -Wes Ewell