Mechanisms

  • Phil
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 3, 2009
      I've just received two new mechanisms that I'm planning on using for some upcoming future projects.  The first is an N-gauge proto 2000 that I just got from walthers.  These are usually $99.00.  They are on sale for $29.00.  This was a bargain that I couldn't resist. It runs extremely smooth and quiet.  My plan is to use it for the Strausburg railroads 1915 Oxford motor car. http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/tr_los10.jpg  This is a very unusual piece of equipment with its curved front and rear end.

      The second mechanism is a Tomytec that I purchased off of ebay. http://i4.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/82/d9/697e_10.JPG.  Early testing show that this is also going to be a great runner.  It cost less than $40.00.  My plan is to build it into the Biddeford and Saco trolley seen here. http://donsdepot.donrossgroup.net/dr0001/bs31.jpg.  The trick will be hiding the weights but I may be able to do away with them.

      So more equipment that never ran on Maine two foot rails is being converted to the world of Narrow gauge.  Hey, it could have happened!

      Phil
    • Wesley Ewell

        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 4, 2009
          Hi Wes,
            I was not aware of that.  Do you know where it worked as a 3 footer?
          Phil

          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 4, 2009
            Phil,
            I've been trying to find the reference without success.  I know I've seen a drawing of this car published somewhere, along with a history, which I recall to be fascinating.  Does anyone else on this list know about it?
            -Wes

              I was not aware of that.  Do you know where it worked as a 3 footer?
            Phil
            Did you know that the Strasburg railcar ran much of its life as a three-foot gauge car?
          • Robert Newcombe
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 4, 2009
              Hi Wes&Phil, I think Grafton & Upton railroad in Mass. had one like it which was steam powered but I'm not sure about the steam part.
                  Bob Newcombe.
              I've been trying to find the reference without success.  I know I've seen a drawing of this car published somewhere, along with a history, which I recall to be fascinating.  Does anyone else on this list know about it?
              -Wes

                I was not aware of that.  Do you know where it worked as a 3 footer?
              Phil
              Did you know that the Strasburg railcar ran much of its life as a three-foot gauge car?

            • William Uffelman
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 4, 2009
                It was in the Gazette several/many years ago.

                Bill Uffelman

                I've been trying to find the reference without success.  I know I've seen a drawing of this car published somewhere, along with a history, which I recall to be fascinating.  Does anyone else on this list know about it?
                -Wes

                  I was not aware of that.  Do you know where it worked as a 3 footer?
                Phil
                Did you know that the Strasburg railcar ran much of its life as a three-foot gauge car?

              • John Pilling
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 4, 2009
                  This car also ran on the Wolfboro RR in New Hampshire.

                  John Pilling

                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 4, 2009
                    Hi Wes,
                    The car was built out of a 3 foot 1880s gauge combine for the
                    Lancaster Oxford and Southern, which was across the valley from the
                    Strausberg RR. It has had it's motor replaced a few times and now has
                    a 383 powering it. If you want more information there is a yahoo group
                    on the LO&S.
                    T%hanks Barry

                  • edfillion448@cs.com
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 4, 2009
                      H Guys,

                      This motor car is the LO&S car. It was built from a Jackson & Sharp combine in 1885 as a 3 ft motor car. To my knowledge it went from the LO&S to the 3 ft Grasse River RR of New York. Then back to Strasburg where they put standard gauge trucks on it and later loaned it to the Wolfeboro RR of NH, then it went to Lowell, MA, as the Whistler at their trolly museum. It is now back at Strasburg and powered by a V8.

                      The Gazette had two sets of plans. The accurate set is in January 1977 issue. The other set of plans in the Gazette had an earlier version than the one built. I think it was a bit shorter, and had one less window.

                      We are working on an O scale kit now that we hope will be ready late spring. The roof and body are set, but the detailed "cow catcher" at each end is difficult to model.

                      Two foot question, did any B&SR Forneys come with a gray (Russian Iron) boiler and/or varnished wood cab? And what colors were the B&SR coaches originally?

                      Thanks in advance,
                      Ed Fillion, Deerfield River Laser, West Springfield, MA

                      John Pilling <rwy536@...> wrote:

                      > This car also ran on the Wolfboro RR in New Hampshire. nbsp; John Pilling
                      >
                      >Feb 4, 2009 09:30:12 AM, MaineTwoFooters@yahoogroups.comwrote:
                      >
                      >      It was in the Gazette several/many years ago. nbsp; Bill Uffelman

                    • Neil MacDonald
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 4, 2009
                        It seems to me I had read somewhere that that particular car came from
                        the Wolfboro RR in New Hampshire. Just a thought and of course it would
                        have been standard gauge there as well.

                        Neil MacDonald

                        Robert Newcombe wrote:

                        > Hi Wes&Phil, I think Grafton & Upton railroad in Mass. had one like it
                        > which was steam powered but I'm not sure about the steam part.
                        > Bob Newcombe.

                      • william cole
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 4, 2009
                          Lancaster, Oxford and Southern Motor Car #1, built for the 3 foot line in southeastern Pennsylvania in the early 19-teens.  was visited by their standard gauge counterparts to see how this car operated. She was built with the center section of a Jackson & Sharp car body probably from the 3' Chateauguay RR in upstate New York state.

                          The car ran from Oxford, PA to the Quarryville on the LO&S (fondly called "The Peachy"), as she was too heavy for the light rail on the Peach Bottom Mainline from Fairmount, PA.

                          She had cooling problems from the beginning, and these were never really corrected on the Peachy (the railroad was firmly committed to steam)....

                          the car was sold to the Grasse River RR in New York state where they standard gauged her

                          then the Strasburg purchased her.

                          She did service on the Wolfboro RR and I believe a state park in Mass.

                          She does run on the Strasburg a few weeks each year (I think her transmission is being worked on now).

                          It is amazing that this car survived!!!

                          Share information freely!!!!!!

                          Bc

                          ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Pink Spider: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2A9CxhsFDE&feature=related ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ "I, like God, do not play with dice and do not believe in coincidence." - V ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ SUPPORT ‘‘Flexibility in Rebuilding American Fisheries Act of 2007’’ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ http://www.aflcio.org/corporatewatch/paywatch/ceou/database.cfm#S "Have you considered my servant Job?" (Job 1:8)

                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 4, 2009
                            Thanks for info on the railcar Ed and others.  I knew I'd seen it somewhere.
                            As for the B&SR engines I believe Hinckleys 1 & 2, Portlands 3 & 5 and Baldwin 6 were all delivered with russian iron boiler jackets and painted cabs.  -Wes

                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 4, 2009

                                > Hi Wes,
                                >   I was not aware of that.  Do you know where it worked as a 3 footer?
                                > Phil

                                I think it was on the Grasse River line, in the Adirondack region of
                                NY state.
                              • edfillion448@cs.com
                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 4, 2009
                                  Hi Wes and Bill,

                                  Thanks Bill for the info on the Grasse River. I erroniously said the Grasse River was 3 ft when it was actually standard gauge. I should have checked by books. And thanks for that link, really good photos.

                                  The only book I have on the Grasse River, with some photos and a map, is the book "Rails in the North Woods" by R. Allen, W. Gove, K. Maloney and R. Palmer. Chapter 3 on the Emporium Forestry Co is by Bill Gove and has the Grasse River info in that chapter.

                                  We happened to hit Strasburg on a Thomas the Tank week and got to ride on the car. Thomas weeks, or week ends, are good as they usually bring out all the equipment. Just go after 2 PM as many of the kids (and parents) are tired by then and have left, and the crowd is a lot less.

                                  Wes, thanks for the B&SR info.

                                  Ed Fillion

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 4, 2009
                                    First let me say thanks for all the information about the LO & S car.  I really do appreciate all the information and history.  It will be fun finding out more its past and the railroads it served on over the years.

                                    Here's the bad news.  The tomix mechanism I wrote about last night - I had it running and forget to open the turnout for it run on the main line.  It hit the dead section (I use peco turn outs) and it sat there shorting for about 2 hours because I fell as sleep and didn't notice that it had come to a stop.

                                    When I send juice to it it only vibrates the way a burned out motor does.  Anyone have any thoughtful advice/encouragement or did I really just burn out a brand new mechanism? (And yes I yelled a lot)
                                    Phil

                                    Quoting Wesley Ewell <twofootartist@ yahoo.com>:

                                    > Phil,
                                    > I've been trying to find the reference without success.  I know I've
                                    > seen a drawing of this car published somewhere, along with a
                                    > history, which I recall to be fascinating.  Does anyone else on this
                                    > list know about it?
                                    > -Wes

                                  • rdg1187prr
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Feb 4, 2009
                                      The railcar started out at the Lancaster, Oxford, and Southern RR. in
                                      Pennsylvania. It ran there for a couple of years and then was sold.

                                      John Caples

                                      --- In MaineTwoFooters@yahoogroups.com, "Phil" <TrainShedHobbies@...>

                                      MaineTwoFooters@yahoogroups.com<mailto:MaineTwoFooters@yahoogroups.com>

                                      <TrainShedHobbies@...<mailto:TrainShedHobbies@...>> wrote:

                                      > From: Phil <TrainShedHobbies@...<mailto:TrainShedHobbies@...>>
                                      > Subject: [MaineTwoFooters] Mechanisms
                                      > To: "HOn30 group"
                                      <HOn30@yahoogroups.com<mailto:HOn30@yahoogroups.com>>,
                                      "MaineTwoFooters"

                                      jpg<http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/tr_los10.jpg> This is a

                                      697e_10.JPG<http://i4.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/82/d9/697e_10.JPG>. Early
                                      bs31.jpg<http://donsdepot.donrossgroup.net/dr0001/bs31.jpg>. The
                                      trick will be hiding the weights but I may be able to do away with them.

                                      > So more equipment that never ran on Maine two foot rails
                                      is being converted to the world of Narrow gauge. Hey, it could have
                                      happened!

                                      > Phil

                                    • Nathan Kline
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Feb 4, 2009

                                        The railcar in question at the Strasburg RR was a three footer on the Lancaster Oxford and Southern RR which was previously the Peach Bottom Railway from Oxford , PA to Peach Bottom. The LO&S ceased operations in 1918. I’m not sure where the car went from there, other than the Wolfeboro, or when it got re-gauged until it ended up in Strasburg. When you ride the Strasburg RR and they make the stop and do the “ghost train” whistle the train and railroad they refer to is the LO&S. which was in the valley beyond the hills from the Strasburg RR. Check out http://www.maparailroadhist.org/history.htm for more information on the Peach Bottom Railway lines that eventually became the Maryland and Pennsylvania Railroad.

                                        -Nathan

                                        From: Phil

                                        Hi Wes,

                                        From: Wesley Ewell

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Feb 9, 2009
                                          Hi Ed, Thanks again for all the information regarding the LO&S car.

                                          I was looking at the cow catcher myself.  I'm thinking for my scratch build project that I would just model it using brass and styrene.

                                          I found a youtube video of the LOS car:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXfQj9epgbo

                                          phil