Roadbed depth of gravel

  • Alan Scott
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2001
      Hi,
      Sorry if this has been discussed before; I am new
      to the group.
      Is there any standard anyone uses for thickness of
      roadbed? The original laying of track, I assume, was
      right on the ground in a big hurry to complete the
      line. I saw one picture of track layout with 4 1/2'
      ties. The proportions made it look just like a
      standard gauge track. 1/3 of the tie between the
      rails and 1/3 on each side. Later pictures show much
      longer ties. I guess in some cases, they bought
      standard gauge ties but I think mostly the ties were
      cut locally and probably never treated.
      Later, as maintenance required it they laid ballast
      and lifted the track out of and onto the top of the
      ballast. Many pictures do look like the depth of
      gravel from the bottom of the tie to the ground was
      zero. Many pictures do not have dates and I think the
      practice changed over time; I suppose that means you
      can do whatever.
      Any comments?

      Alan C.

      http://photos.yahoo.com/