Re: B&B book by Christian Cenac

  • Christopher Blackwell
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 1, 2008
      Bill,

      Ah I see I misread it. Even so from my expereince they
      never end up worth less because only small number of
      books are published. Plus you will be rereading them and
      referencing from it often enough to make it worth its price.

      However I spent a lot more to get the Two Foot between
      the Rails series. I also bought a two volume set on the Sandy
      River and Rangeley Lakes for over $300.

      However I bought directly from the author so it was nice to
      know it was going to him and not the publisher. The author
      made a lot more off the books that I bought from him than
      when the publisher was selling them.

      Christopher

      --- In MaineTwoFooters@yahoogroups.com, "W.R.Dixon" <WRDixon@...> wrote:

      > It might be a good book but at 115.00 Euro plus 25.00 Euro for shipping,
      > it is a bit too rich for me. I make that to be about $ 178 USD right now.
      >

      > Bill Dixon

    • Wesley Ewell
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 1, 2008
        A couple of railroad books that I bought for less than $50 over the years I have sold later for nearly $300.  My guess is that Cenac's books will always have a market and are not likely to depreciate anywhere near as badly as my IRA has.  Thanks to all of you who have been buying my eBay auctions lately, my PayPal account overfloweth, so I ordered one.  It came to $182+ with the shipping and PayPal exchange conversion fee.  Now I can ask my daughter to translate it and get some return for that semester she spent studying in France.  -Wes

        Ah I see I misread it. Even so from my expereince they
        never end up worth less because only small number of
        books are published. Plus you will be rereading them and
        referencing from it often enough to make it worth its price.

        However I spent a lot more to get the Two Foot between
        the Rails series. I also bought a two volume set on the Sandy
        River and Rangeley Lakes for over $300.

        However I bought directly from the author so it was nice to
        know it was going to him and not the publisher. The author
        made a lot more off the books that I bought from him than
        when the publisher was selling them.

        Christopher

        --- In MaineTwoFooters@ yahoogroups. com, "W.R.Dixon" <WRDixon@... > wrote:

        > It might be a good book but at 115.00 Euro plus 25.00 Euro for shipping,
        > it is a bit too rich for me. I make that to be about $ 178 USD right now.
        >

        > Bill Dixon

      • stephen king
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 2, 2008
          Wes, and all,

          The B&B book by Christian Cenac will not need translation as it it written in both FR and EN. Cenac is a multi-talented fellow and the book also contains some of his original artwork which is beautiful.  If the book is anything like the K1 Garratt book or the WW I military railway book you will be more than pleased to have it in your collection.

          Cheers,
          Steve King

        • Wesley Ewell
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 2, 2008
            Thanks Steve.  I can't wait to get it and my daughter will be relieved that she won't have to translate it.  -Wes

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 3, 2008
              Hi All,
              B&B Excursion Car C was changed into an end entry excursion car and
              later to a baggage car by the SRR. Does anyone know what numbers or
              letters were used to identify this car through its changes?
              Thanks Barry

            • jdevos99@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 3, 2008
                Barry

                According to the roster in Two Feet Between the Rails Excursion Car "C" became SRRR No. 3 and then SR&RL No. 555  however, I have found no evidence to prove this. Unfortunately, the information that was used to prepare the roster is "confidential" if it exists at all.

                I don't mean to stir the pot but, I would take the roster in TFBR with some skepticism. Hope this helps.

                Jerry

              • barry@railrec.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 16, 2008
                  Hi Jerry,
                  I have gone through some of the SRR/SR&RL books I have. I have
                  found pictures with the modified excursion car with a 1 on it. At that
                  point it was similar in use and look (except the outside bracing) to
                  Boxcar A. This is one of the kits I am trying to release.
                  Thanks Barry

                  Quoting jdevos99@...:

                • jdevos99@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 18, 2008
                    Hello Barry

                    I assume that the photo you refer to is on page #38 of my SR&RL book, bottom. This dates after 1904 because F&M loco #2 has become #3. I believe that this car was made from excursion car B or C in 1887 into the second SR baggage car/caboose and later just a  caboose. Several photos of this caboose appear in TFBR ( the other excursion car became the first SR caboose in 1880).

                    Frankly, the markings on the photo on page #38 do not look correct to me - they are very bright and crisp and may have been added onto the photo by human hands. I have seen no other photos of either of the modified excurions cars with any markings.

                    You might consider offering this kit with an optional cupola (1880 SR outside braced caboose) or as the 1887 SR outside braced baggage car/caboose.

                    Hope this helps

                    Jerry

                    Quoting jdevos99@aol. com:

                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 18, 2008
                      Hi Jerry,
                      I was aware that Boxcar A or a very similar car got a cupola but
                      had no idea of "Boxcar 1" having a cupola. Good suggestion i think I
                      will do it!
                      I will be taking a look in your book I was in Two Feet Between The
                      Rails Vol 1.
                      So there is more than one modified excursion car? At best with my
                      limited resources it is hard to find out anything without any help.
                      Thanks Barry

                      Quoting jdevos99@...: