Hyperthetically speaking...

  • gauge18rr
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 21, 2008
      so... I ran across this photo this weekend.
      http://www.railroadforums.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/15710

      This is a 2' gauge 2-6-0 locomotive built for an owner in Texas, by the firm Winton. It was a
      free-lance scale model... representing a 3' or standard gauge locomotive. The castings are
      still available from Mammoth Locomotive Works. After a few years for some reason this
      engine was no longer used and has sat dormant for a long time.

      So, what if it were up in Maine? Could it be converted to a Mogul something similar that was
      seen on the two footers up there? Would it be possible to use the Mammoth/Winton parts
      and make it work in a better way?

      http://www.mammothlocomotiveworks.net/products.html

      Regards,
      O. Anderson
    • Jim
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 22, 2008
        Based completely on gross speculation, it appears that the loco is too tall for two foot use, especially given that it is inside framed. Perhaps it was unstable and that is why they aren't using it? Good questions though. It shows what can be done with a pile of money. ...And my wife thinks that $79 for another laser cut kit is worth divorce.... :)

        > so... I ran across this photo this weekend.
        > http://www.railroadforums.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/15710
        >
        > This is a 2' gauge 2-6-0 locomotive built for an owner
        > in Texas, by the firm Winton. It was a
        > free-lance scale model... representing a 3' or standard
        > gauge locomotive. The castings are
        > still available from Mammoth Locomotive Works. After a few
        > years for some reason this
        > engine was no longer used and has sat dormant for a long
        > time.
        >
        > So, what if it were up in Maine? Could it be converted to
        > a Mogul something similar that was
        > seen on the two footers up there? Would it be possible to
        > use the Mammoth/Winton parts
        > and make it work in a better way?
        >
        > http://www.mammothlocomotiveworks.net/products.html
        >
        > Regards,
        > O. Anderson

      • Wesley Ewell
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 22, 2008
          Interesting find.  The lettering on the steam chest looks like "Wiston" not Winton."  It also appears that this model might have never been finished.  Perhaps it proved too expensive.  Or maybe the client didn't pay, which might have led to the manufacturer folding.  It's just too far from Maine style to have any value there.  -Wes

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 22, 2008
            This locomotive, at 6 1/2' tall, is certainly not too tall, maybe too short. It has 7x10"
            cylinders, 22 1/2" diameter driving wheels (they say that 32" diameter wheels are
            available). The drive wheels have a total wheelbase of 6' 4 1/2". I'll upload a photo page
            from the Mammoth catalog so you can visualize how it looked in operation. If you are
            interested, you can download the catalog from their website, yourself.
            O. Anderson