Information Please.

  • barrrfan
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 17, 2007
      Could anyone please tell me what the colors were of the Monson combine
      plus the colors of the station, engine and buildings in Monson itself?
      I know the station is a deep red now but was wondering if that was
      the color when it was operating.

      Thank you in advance for any information.
      Neil MacDonald
      Hermon Maine
    • Phil B
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 17, 2007
        Hi Neil,
          According to Robert Jones in his book Two Feet to the Quarries, the combine was originally painted dark green with white lettering.  After a few years the color was changed to red with no lettering.  The station was red.  I think typical to the period, most of the town buildings were painted white with black trim.

        If you're interested in a kit of the monson station Hodgdon scale models makes a great kit. You can see it on the link I've attached to flying scotsman hobbies.

        Hope this helps.

        Phil

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 17, 2007
          Thanks Phil for the information. My wife and I took a ride up there
          this afternoon and the ends are just about the color shown on the
          model. The long side next to the track and rear are a faded brown. I
          wish the kit was "O". Guess I'll have to scratch build one. I took
          several detail photos so that I could. I probably should have measured
          it but then again I think I'll downsize it a little due to space
          requirements.

          Thanks again!

          Neil

          Phil B wrote:

          > Hi Neil,
          > According to Robert Jones in his book _Two Feet to the Quarries_,
          > the combine was originally painted dark green with white lettering.
          > After a few years the color was changed to red with no lettering. The
          > station was red. I think typical to the period, most of the town
          > buildings were painted white with black trim.
          >
          > If you're interested in a kit of the monson station Hodgdon scale
          > models makes a great kit. You can see it on the link I've attached to
          > flying scotsman hobbies.
          >
          > Hope this helps.
          >
          > Phil
          >
          > http://www.fshobby.com/old/hodgdon.html
          > <http://www.fshobby.com/old/hodgdon.html>

        • Phil B
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 17, 2007
            I looked up Hermon in the Maine Gazetteer.  I was wondering if you had been up that way being how close you are to Monson. You were there today! How wondeful. Did you explore at all?  I think the turntable is back in the woods and I would think the quarries should be easy to find.
            phil

            Phil B wrote:

            > Hi Neil,
            > According to Robert Jones in his book _Two Feet to the Quarries_,
            > the combine was originally painted dark green with white lettering.
            > After a few years the color was changed to red with no lettering. The
            > station was red. I think typical to the period, most of the town
            > buildings were painted white with black trim.
            >
            > If you're interested in a kit of the monson station Hodgdon scale
            > models makes a great kit. You can see it on the link I've attached to
            > flying scotsman hobbies.
            >
            > Hope this helps.
            >
            > Phil
            >
            > http://www.fshobby. com/old/hodgdon. html
            > <http://www.fshobby. com/old/hodgdon. html>

          • Neil MacDonald
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 17, 2007
              Yes Phil, we ride up there quite often as it's only about fifty miles I
              would guess from here. We like to go up and see the colored leaves in
              the fall and always check out the railroad. I didn't really check out
              the turntable as their was a dog that wasn't tied in the yard where it
              is and it didn't look very friendly so will check it out another time.
              I did walk and take photos all around the station plus walked some of
              the ROW plus took pictures of the engine house foundation. I couldn't
              find any traces of the car shop though. I'm not really interested on
              the quarries as their pretty much all over the place. I picked up a
              couple of pieces of slate ballast plus a piece of coal. Most of the
              stuff is covered with leaves now.

              Last year I measured the Monson Jct. station for Wes Ewell inch by inch
              so that's old now. I did also take a few pictures of the ROW where it
              used to cross the highways today also.

              Take care.

              Neil