Re: [MaineTwoFooters] Re: Station at Monson Junction

  • Neil MacDonald
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 30, 2006
      Hi all, I did the work that Joey mentioned and I'll will leave it to him
      to get it posted so it will be usable to the group as he is much much
      better at this computer stuff than I am. I spent a good hour there and
      measured and photographed every detail that I could possibly do without
      climbing in or on the building. The building is posted so trespassing
      was not one of my options. Joey is working on the B&ML today and I'm
      sure he will post it all as soon as he can. Thanks.

      Neil MacDonald
      Hermon

    • Joey Kelley
      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 30, 2006
        Hello All,
                Here tis the link to the photos - I would like to thank my good friend Neil MacDonald for taking the photos.
                The measurements are on the lower left hand corner of the page, btw.
                 Have fun!
        http://picasaweb.google.com/sandpvrr/MonsonJCTStationPhotos
                  cya, Joey

        --- In MaineTwoFooters@ yahoogroups. com , "Lloyd Day" <Lwday@...>

        --
        --Joey Kelley, HAPT, L.J.L.P.T., Volunteer MNGRR, Webmaster RRNNE.net--
      • Neil MacDonald
        Message 3 of 29 , Oct 1, 2006
          Joey will also be posting more pictures tonight as I just realized that
          I did not send them all to him.

          Neil

          Joey Kelley wrote:

          > Hello All,
          > Here tis the link to the photos - I would like to thank my
          > good friend Neil MacDonald for taking the photos.
          > The measurements are on the lower left hand corner of the
          > page, btw.
          > Have fun!
          > http://picasaweb.google.com/sandpvrr/MonsonJCTStationPhotos
          > <http://picasaweb.google.com/sandpvrr/MonsonJCTStationPhotos>
          > cya, Joey
          >
          > On 9/30/06, * Wesley Ewell* <twofootartist@...
          > <mailto:twofootartist@...>> wrote:
          >
          > Joey,
          > That would be very helpful. My first stab at this, measuring from
          > photos, was that the building is 24'x 48' based on the assumption
          > that the clapboards were 4' to weather. Turns out the building is
          > actually 18'x 36' with 3" clapboards. I'm working on drawings and
          > will post jpegs to the files section when they're done. - Wes Ewell

        • William Uffelman

            wrote:

            > I'm about an hour away and would venture up there next weekend
            and measure the building if that would help.
            > Lloyd

          • Lloyd Day
            Message 5 of 29 , Oct 1, 2006
              Super!
              I know a guy who is friends with the owner and could probably get us inside if need be. As I remember from Monson Days when the MNG museum ran tracks, the inside is pretty bare.
              Lloyd Day
              Old Town

              Wesley Ewell wrote:
              > Joey,
              > That would be very helpful. My first stab at this, measuring from
              > photos, was that the building is 24'x 48' based on the assumption that
              > the clapboards were 4' to weather. Turns out the building is actually
              > 18'x 36' with 3" clapboards. I'm working on drawings and will post
              > jpegs to the files section when they're done. - Wes Ewell

            • Lloyd Day
              Message 6 of 29 , Oct 1, 2006
                OOPS! wrong building!
                All this time I thought we were talking about the station IN Monson. Next time I'll read more thoroughly.....
                Lloyd

                Wesley Ewell wrote:
                > Joey,
                > That would be very helpful. My first stab at this, measuring from
                > photos, was that the building is 24'x 48' based on the assumption that
                > the clapboards were 4' to weather. Turns out the building is actually
                > 18'x 36' with 3" clapboards. I'm working on drawings and will post
                > jpegs to the files section when they're done. - Wes Ewell

              • Joey Kelley
                Message 7 of 29 , Oct 3, 2006
                  Hello All,
                           The additional pictures have been uploaded, they now total 24. The same link (listed below) still works, so head on over and check them out!
                           cya, Joey

                  --
                  --Joey Kelley, HAPT, L.J.L.P.T., Volunteer MNGRR, Webmaster RRNNE.net--
                • ROBERT PETERSON
                  Message 8 of 29 , Oct 3, 2006
                    Nobody needs to even use a compleat sentance. Just a couple of words will do.  Like: WOW   Fantastic.
                    Thanks Joey,
                    Bob Peterson

                    --
                    --Joey Kelley, HAPT, L.J.L.P.T., Volunteer MNGRR, Webmaster RRNNE.net--

                  • Eddie Bellass
                    Message 9 of 29 , Oct 3, 2006
                      Wonderful pictures ... but is that structure still safe,
                      some 60 years after the Monson RR ceased operations?

                      It looks to me as if it *might* collapse all around anybody
                      trying to restore it and possibly kill them!

                      Was it bought or perhaps leased by anybody for non-rail
                      use for many years after the railroad closed?

                      Regards,

                      DigitisED (Eddie Bellass)

                      Eddie & Margaret Bellass,
                      Merseyside, United Kingdom.

                      by a leading anti-virus system - updated continuously.
                    • Joey Kelley
                      Message 10 of 29 , Oct 3, 2006
                        We Build 'em Good up heah Ayuh!
                                 (Sorry, predictible Maine Talk joke, couldn't help myself)
                                 I wasn't there, so I can't verify, but it does look relatively rickety to me, but, no appreciable slump in the roof, the roof looks mostly ok - the walls are pretty much intact, so it looks restorible to me.
                                Keep in mind, Monson is in the snow belt. Big time. That area is in a relative valley compared to the area around it, so the snow just sits in the hole. My guess is that building was actually built about three times stronger than it had to be, just to make sure it would still be there.
                                Right up the road (relatively) in Greenville Jct, the end of the BAR Greenville branch that went through Monson, a CP built depot is in sad shape - the roof is sagging, the walls aren't straight anymore, its ready to fall in. But, the Monson Jct. Depot rolls on!
                                cya, Joey

                        On 10/3/06, Eddie Bellass <eddiebellass@...> wrote:
                        Wonderful pictures ... but is that structure still safe,
                        some 60 years after the Monson RR ceased operations?

                        It looks to me as if it *might* collapse all around anybody
                        trying to restore it and possibly kill them!

                        Was it bought or perhaps leased by anybody for non-rail
                        use for many years after the railroad closed?

                        Regards,

                        DigitisED  (Eddie Bellass)

                        Eddie & Margaret Bellass,
                        Merseyside, United Kingdom.

                        by a leading anti-virus system - updated continuously.

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        <*> Your email settings:
                           Individual Email | Traditional

                        <*> To change settings online go to:
                           (Yahoo! ID required)

                        <*> To change settings via email:
                           mailto:MaineTwoFooters-digest@yahoogroups.com
                           mailto: MaineTwoFooters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        --
                        --Joey Kelley, HAPT, L.J.L.P.T., Volunteer MNGRR, Webmaster RRNNE.net--
                      • Linc
                        Message 11 of 29 , Oct 3, 2006
                          It's been about 15 years (or more) since I visited Monson Junction, I took some pictures then.  What amazes me is how little the building has deteriorated since that time... and the lack of vandals... where I live it would have been the victim of arson long ago.

                          Linc
                        • Michael White

                            Message 13 of 29 , Oct 3, 2006
                              Linc wrote:

                              > What amazes me is how little the building has deteriorated since
                              > that time...
                              > and the lack of vandals...
                              > where I live it would have been the victim of arson long ago.

                              Thanks Linc, everybody...

                              That amazes me too! I suppose Monson Jn station stands
                              in a sparsely populated area.

                              My UK local station is still in service, with over 100 passenger
                              trains per day, most of which call to pick up and set down. It was
                              opened in 1830 --- to welcome George Stephenson's Rocket.

                              It is also staffed from 05.45 until 00.15 and entirely surrounded
                              by houses and shops but that doesn't stop our local yobboes
                              daubing paint on it, smashing the windows and even torching the
                              inside of the historic building, though the original stone shell
                              withstood that particular blaze and has since been restored.

                              Regards,

                              DigitisED (Eddie Bellass)

                              Eddie & Margaret Bellass,
                              Merseyside, United Kingdom.

                              by a leading anti-virus system - updated continuously.
                            • Vic & Cynthia Hamburger
                              Message 14 of 29 , Oct 4, 2006
                                It may have weathered well over the years, but look at the first couple
                                of photos and how the lead flashing around the chimney is about 15"-18"
                                above the roof line! Apparently the entire structure is settling into
                                the landscape at a pretty even rate all around.

                                Thanks to all for the update on this area!

                                Vic H