WW&F #9 boiler

  • James C. & Laurel A. Patten
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2006
      Hi all,

      As promised, I went down to Boothbay Railway Museum today and used up
      most of a whole roll of film (about half of it on #9's boiler).

      Two boiler courses and half a third on sitting on supports in the middle
      of the Boothbay shops. The courses are only tack-welded together, they
      have not been fully welded. Looks like they have all the material
      needed for the project. There were several sheets which are intended
      for the firebox, with holes drilled for staybolts.

      It looked smaller than #9's boiler does, but then again the boiler
      currently has a cab, fluted Victorian domes, a smokebox, and lots of
      stuff underneath attached to it.

      Like a house looks impressive when the walls go up in a week and then it
      takes another month to do everything inside, there seems to be a lot of
      progress but they probably are not even a quarter done. Once the boiler
      goes together they have to thread lots of rod and tap lots of holes.

      James P.