Re: Crisis in Portland?

  • srnumber9
    Message 1 of 37 , Jun 1, 2006
      While I fully support the MNGRR and wish them every success wherever
      they may be, I think the ultimate place for them if not Portland would
      be in Sheepscot across the street from WW&F and headed south.

      If the two groups gave each other trackage rights it would mean that
      MNGRR would immediately start with access to almost 2 miles of
      trackage and a good base to start construction from.

      The total right of way would grow much faster this way as well, since
      construction would be happening in both directions. It would greatly
      increase the odds of Wiscasset being reached, and if so give the lines
      access to that traffic.

      This would allow the two groups to pool resources and expertise like
      next door neighbors can.

      It would make the annual picnic a spectacular sight too!

      -Steve Klare
    • Joey Kelley
      Message 37 of 37 , Jun 1, 2006
        Steve,
        The issue has come up in Two-Foot Railroader Bull Sessions
        (ie doing what some of us do best) and although not unattainable, it
        does bring up one important issue - WW&F and MNGRR at this time are
        not under FRA control regarding train operations, safety equipment,
        hours of service, etc. We both fall under FRA boiler mandates for our
        steamers, but thats all.
        If rails are laid to the south across from the current WW&F
        museum, the entire line would fall under FRA rule, since that road is
        a public road. That means training, insurance, possibly radio
        communications that the WW&F doesn't have - air brakes - etc.
        None of the above is unattainable - but - it would be
        expensive. Even with two somewhat solvent somewhat profitable non
        profits (ie there are few money issues on the table generally) the
        combined toll and financial responsibility might not be worth it.
        cya, Joey

        --
        --Joey Kelley, HAPT, L.J.L.P.T., Volunteer MNGRR, Webmaster RRNNE.net--