Info for 1912 on the SR&RL

  • Thomas W. McCoy
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 2, 2005
      Hi,
      Being new to the list, sorry if this has been posted before, but what I
      am looking for is:
      Does anyone have or know where to find info for around the year 1912
      for the SR&RL concerning what products were shipped both in and out and
      the industries located on the railroad? Being from Central New York
      State on a limited budget(retirement)sort of limits my research so I
      would appreciate any and all help, so I can realistically model this
      era.
      Thank you,
      Tom McCoy
      Rome, NY
    • Joe & Jo Ellen Raymaker
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 2, 2005
        Re: [MaineTwoFooters] Info for 1912 on the SR&RL Hi, Tom,

        I definitely understand the limited budget idea<g>.  Please join also Maine On2,
        which encourages On30 as well, and has a HUGE Frequently Aksed Questions(FAQ)
        site. Tons of information traded among members, and all helpful fellas, as RR folk are supposd to be.  Give your local library the title of any book you wish and they'll do an interlibrary search;  for $2 you can have a book for probably three weeks.  "Punch up"
        Wiscasset, Watervilled & Farmington Railway on Google and you'll find resources on their site, including a list of books in their "company store".

        I think Sandy River did cut logs, lumber and pulpwood outbound, toothpicks, matches
        from a factory at Strong.  Inbound, as I recall, would be coal, food, and other products people need for living.  Also recall at Kingfield was the transfer of stuff from narrow gauge cars to standard sized cars.  Try a Google-based search for Sandy River and Rangeley Lakes Railroad, you'll get the organization's web site, and you can read a short history.

        Merry Christmas!  JR

        From: "Thomas W. McCoy" <TMCCOY2@...>
        Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 13:24:19 -0000
        To: MaineTwoFooters@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [MaineTwoFooters] Info for 1912 on the SR&RL

        Hi,
        Being new to the list, sorry if this has been posted before, but what I
        am looking for is:
        Does anyone have or know where to find info for around the year 1912
        for the SR&RL concerning what products were shipped both in and out and
        the industries located on the railroad? Being from Central New York
        State on a limited budget(retirement)sort of limits my research so I
        would appreciate any and all help, so I can realistically model this
        era.
        Thank you,
        Tom McCoy
        Rome, NY

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      • Darryl Sleszynski
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 2, 2005
          Re: [MaineTwoFooters] Info for 1912 on the SR&RL
          ...Also recall at Kingfield was the transfer of stuff from narrow gauge cars to standard sized cars.

          Should read 'Farmington'.
        • dckeith@fuse.net
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 2, 2005
            > Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 13:24:19 -0000
            > From: "Thomas W. McCoy" <TMCCOY2@...>
            > Subject: Info for 1912 on the SR&RL
            >
            > Hi,
            > Being new to the list, sorry if this has been posted before, but what I
            > am looking for is:
            > Does anyone have or know where to find info for around the year 1912
            > for the SR&RL concerning what products were shipped both in and out and
            > the industries located on the railroad? Being from Central New York
            > State on a limited budget(retirement)sort of limits my research so I
            > would appreciate any and all help, so I can realistically model this
            > era.

            Thomas,

            I'm modeling the SR&RL with a target date of 1912. I must say, your question is a rather open question. The SR&RL had some 60 miles of mainline and probably nearly that many miles in branch lines. Outbound mostly lumber products, inbound, not much (or variety of general stuff). The majority of frieght was out bound.

            May I suggest Peter Barney's book on the "Industries and Operations of the SR&RL". It lists industries for each town, has photos (not the best but sufficient), give a general idea of how the railroad worked. At less than $20, this book is about as cheap a way to get an image of how the railroad worked. The book should be available from one of the 2-foot railroad museums, Train and Trooper, or elsewhere. It appears on ebay periodically.

            The SR&RL is a large railroad, are you planning to model it? part of it?

            Dave K.
          • Joe & Jo Ellen Raymaker
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 2, 2005
              Re: [MaineTwoFooters] Info for 1912 on the SR&RL Rats!  I thought I corrected that!  thanks, Darryl. JR

              From: "Darryl Sleszynski" <darryls@...>
              Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 09:53:01 -0500
              To: <MaineTwoFooters@yahoogroups.com>
              Subject: RE: [MaineTwoFooters] Info for 1912 on the SR&RL

            • LeeRainey@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 2, 2005
                In a message dated 12/2/2005 1:45:48 PM Eastern Standard Time, dckeith@... writes:

                The SR&RL had some 60 miles of mainline and probably nearly that many miles in branch lines.  Outbound mostly lumber products, inbound, not much (or variety of general stuff).  The majority of frieght was out bound.

                I can't answer the question directly, but I can tell how to answer it. You need two publications:

                ** The Maine Register. This was published every two years and contains a list, by county, township and village, of all businesses. For example, in Phillips, my 1909-10 edition lists three pages of businesses (in 6-point type, so a lot of businesses), ranging from The Berlin Mills Co. (building and finish lumber) and The International Manufacturing Co. (spools) to grist mills (C. H. McKenzie Trading Co.) and marble works (North Franklin Marble Works) as well as many merchants that would have received LCL

                ** Maine Railroad Commission Report. This was published yearly. Many (but not all) years give breakdowns of freight -- inbound and outbound --  by fairly detailed categories. (An alternative to this may be the ICC Statistics of Railways, published yearly, but it does not give as detailed figures, and in some years gives only brief sketches of the smaller roads.)

                I have found these items in various libraries (both public and university), on eBay, and in second-hand book stores. A little looking might turn up something close at hand.

                Lee Rainey

              • Thomas W. McCoy
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 3, 2005
                  Thanks for all advice. I am in the process of getting Peter's book as
                  it seems like the most logical. Now for an explanation which seems to
                  make people take sides and issues. When N scale first came out, I was
                  in it. There wasn't much and after a few years, I switched to HO, had
                  a switching layout and was happy[ if we are ever really]. I always
                  wanted to build bigger, never enough room, money or talent. I
                  followed Hayden and Frary into HO2 and 1/2. Some will remember that
                  the Late EL Moore was also there. However time passes, kids grew up,
                  left and the wife and I moved into a smaller place[ Thank goodness
                  with the price of natural gas]and the only room for a layout was a n
                  scale timesaver which would have to be put on a shelf when done.
                  Trouble is at my age it would have to be o scale to operate. I happen
                  to discover Trainz 2004, a train simulator, and suddenly here was the
                  opportunity to model the entire SR&RL.In this forum it is possible to
                  duplicate actual conditions, rain, snow, etc. You can simulate actual
                  weight conditions for locomotives, so the terrain on the Bigelow
                  branch will control the size of your consists. For me it means I can
                  do my switching while passenger trains run and not only do I have to
                  stick to a schedule, but just like the real ones, you have to watch
                  for cornfield meets and derails. The nice thing is that a cornfield
                  meet doesn't destroy a$180 worth of equipment.
                  Again thanks for all the responses.
                  Tom
                • Jess Brisbane
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 3, 2005

                    It sounds like a good idea to me. I don’t like simulators myself, but that’s because I work with computers; when I’m playing, I prefer to have as little to do with them as possible. OTOH, I’d really like to have a look at the end result when you’ve got it done.

                    Jess

                    The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 4, 2005
                      If you are interested in two-foot gauge train simulation, you might like to check out
                      www.festrail.co.uk/downloads_for_trainz.htm this site has a large collection of sims of
                      locomotives and rolling stock from the grand-daddy of all 2-footers - the Ffestiniog
                      Railway

                      There is also an article on the MSTS route layout for the FR in the Autumn 2004 issue of
                      the FR Magazine and a CD is available from the Porthmadog Harbour Station shop. I can
                      supply a copy of the Magazine if given a postal address.

                      John Dobson
                      Editor, FR Magazine
                      jld@...

                      --- In MaineTwoFooters@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas W. McCoy" <TMCCOY2@t...> wrote:

                      > Thanks for all advice. I am in the process of getting Peter's book as
                      > it seems like the most logical. Now for an explanation which seems to
                      > make people take sides and issues. When N scale first came out, I was
                      > in it. There wasn't much and after a few years, I switched to HO, had
                      > a switching layout and was happy[ if we are ever really]. I always
                      > wanted to build bigger, never enough room, money or talent. I
                      > followed Hayden and Frary into HO2 and 1/2. Some will remember that
                      > the Late EL Moore was also there. However time passes, kids grew up,
                      > left and the wife and I moved into a smaller place[ Thank goodness
                      > with the price of natural gas]and the only room for a layout was a n
                      > scale timesaver which would have to be put on a shelf when done.
                      > Trouble is at my age it would have to be o scale to operate. I happen
                      > to discover Trainz 2004, a train simulator, and suddenly here was the
                      > opportunity to model the entire SR&RL.In this forum it is possible to
                      > duplicate actual conditions, rain, snow, etc. You can simulate actual
                      > weight conditions for locomotives, so the terrain on the Bigelow
                      > branch will control the size of your consists. For me it means I can
                      > do my switching while passenger trains run and not only do I have to
                      > stick to a schedule, but just like the real ones, you have to watch
                      > for cornfield meets and derails. The nice thing is that a cornfield
                      > meet doesn't destroy a$180 worth of equipment.
                      > Again thanks for all the responses.
                      > Tom

                    • Darryl Sleszynski
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 5, 2005
                        Can anyone tell me the dates of operation of the Portland and Rochester Railroad?  I can't seem to locate a date for the end of operations.  Thanks.

                        Darryl Sleszynski
                      • thinknarrow
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 5, 2005
                          A fair amount of history is contained in "The Railroad Lines of
                          Northern New England," by Robert M.Lindsell, a book that elaborated on
                          the material in "Lost Railroads of New England" by Ronald Dale Karr.
                          According to Lindsell, the railroad between Portland and Rochester was
                          begun in 1850 by the York & Cumberland RR. After reorganization as the
                          Portland & Rochester in 1865, the railroad finally reached Rochester in
                          1871. Passenger service ceased in 1932. The abandonments Lindsell lists
                          are Preble Street Station (Portland) to Woodfords in 1911, an extension
                          that connected with the Grand Trunk (Portland)in 1950, Springvale to
                          Rochester (the southernmost 16 miles) in 1952, Deering Junction to
                          Cumberland Mills in about 1954, and Westbrook to Springvale in 1961.
                          According to this book, published in 2000, there are a few very short
                          segments in Portland and Westbrook still in use as freight spurs. I
                          think that at least one spur in Westbrook has since been abandoned. One
                          other interesting tidbit is that in the early 1950's a portion of this
                          line was operated as the Sanford and Eastern, one of Samuel Pinsley's
                          short lines.

                          --- In MaineTwoFooters@yahoogroups.com, "Darryl Sleszynski"
                          <darryls@d...> wrote:

                          > Can anyone tell me the dates of operation of the Portland and
                          Rochester
                          > Railroad? I can't seem to locate a date for the end of operations.
                          Thanks.

                          > Darryl Sleszynski
                          > --
                          12/5/2005

                        • Robert Lindsell
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 6, 2005
                            I'm flattered by the reference. In the five years since the book was published I haven't come across any additional important information that affects dates. Being somewhat remote from Westbrook (I'm in London, England), I'm not aware of the "abandonment" of spurs there - but then industrial spurs aren't subject to formal abandonment procedures.

                            Bob Lindsell

                            <darryls@d...> wrote:

                            > Can anyone tell me the dates of operation of the Portland and
                            Rochester
                            > Railroad?  I can't seem to locate a date for the end of operations.
                            Thanks.

                            > Darryl Sleszynski
                            > --
                            12/5/2005

                            Play Santa's Celebrity Xmas Party, an exclusive game from Yahoo!

                            Win a Yahoo! Vespa NEW - Yahoo! Cars has 3 Vespa LX125s to be won Enter Now!