Changing to Standard Gauge

  • Joe Raymaker
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2005
      In one of my two Sandy River movies, there's a scene showing the
      engine crew shovelling their own coal from a standard gauge gondola.

      In one of the many books, there's a statement that the Sandy River maintained
      a crew at Kingfield (?) specifcally for transferring to standard gauge
      equipment. In those days lumber was handled by the piece, not the bundle,
      and I've seen that on western roads as well.

      Yes, life was simpler then, even if somewhat harder. We noted tonight at the
      Dunsmuir & Cedar Flat RR that there were more laborious jobs, vice the desk
      jobs of today. A better time, is my judgment. JR