Re: [MaineTwoFooters] Digest Number 919

  • GARRARDA@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2005
      Bill, this link to the Walthers catalog should help find what you need.

      The easiest shingles for most projects that I assume you are doing are the Campbells "lick-n-stick" paper shingles that come in life time supply rolls with their kits. For some reason they are not listed but you might find some at a hobby shop with model RR building supplies.
      Good luck,
      Gary

      Message: 1
         Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 12:16:43 -0800
         From: "W. Turner" <w_turner@...>
      Subject: Shingle siding

      All
          I am building an HO scale shoebox diorama of a typical Maine scene. I
      have noted that many of the buildings appear to use shingle siding. What
      would one use to replicate this feature in HO?
      --
      Cheers
      Bill
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2005
        --- GARRARDA@... wrote:
        > The easiest shingles for most projects that I assume you are doing
        > are the
        > Campbells "lick-n-stick" paper shingles that come in life time
        > supply rolls with
        > their kits. For some reason they are not listed but you might find
        > some at a
        > hobby shop with model RR building supplies.

        The Cambell shingles are still the best for representing New England
        shingles. However, Campbells was bought ought recently andf the
        shingles were discountinued. The original owners were still cutting
        them on a hand crank cutter. There are many alternatives but most of
        them are too thick. I like Bill Banta's paper shingles that are
        laser cut from a pumpkin colored paper. They have no adhesive though.
        Precision Laser Craft and several other companies sell laser cut
        shingles with an adhesive back.

        Whatever, you use remember that New England building practices called
        for the shngle rows to be even and the bottom of the shingles in a
        straight line, and not random lengths. The random length stuff is a
        decorative touch and was not, and still is not, the usual way of
        doing things. -Jim

        The New England Scene
        http://members.aol.com/jamesmpii/tnes.html/

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail